Small Boy Filter Troubleshoot

• Thread starter pushkushglobal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pushkushglobal

pushkushglobal

I just purchased a new Small Boy with the KDF85 filter upgrade. Ive been running water through the filter for nearly two hours (over 100 gallons) and my water is still the same ppm post-filtration as it is pre-filtration.

Have you had a similar issue?

Can you help me solve this riddle?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate all of you here at the farm

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

kdf85 wont lower ppms by much 10-50 ppms. i use the same and couldnt be happier. if you want to really see/feel the difference. fill a glass of h20 from tap and another with ur filtered water. taste is completely different and water feels softer. i put a split on my filtered h20 line and hooked it up to my water dispense in my fridge, wife loves it!

the kdf85 reduce chloramines and chlorine. i believe fluoride as well

pushkushglobal

pushkushglobal

@Skuna Tuna This filter is for my personal grow so I will definitely be using it to fill my dogs water bowl haha

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I really appreciate it!

Myco

Myco

I used to use that upgraded carbon filter, but now I just use the standard.... but... I when I did check, I never noticed a drop in PPM either. I suspect that if your inlet water is of fair quality, there isn't a ton of bad stuff to remove aside from chlorine etc that will actual result in a drop in PPM. Anybody with high ppm tap would probably see some visible reduction in PPM, 10-50 like Skuna Tuna mentioned I presume...

You're good to go!

I also notice a big difference, with a good ol' fashioned taste test.

D

davidian

Using different carbon filters will not effect the ppms. Carbon filters no matter what type are not really meant to drop the ppms of a water source, that is what the sediment filter does. It traps the "solids" in the water, calcium/scale/rust etc. Carbon is used to reduce odors and bad taste, be it municipal water with chlorine/chloramine, flouride, or nasty tasting well water.

homebrew420

homebrew420

going to have to drop below a 3micron filter to hope to affect quality tap water. Well water I would expect you would see a drop even at 5 micron. FWIW tap water will ALWAYS grow you decent plants if adjusted properly. and chloramine levels within tap water are not really high enough to stop the impending explosive micro-cultures used to inoculate the media. Most of these filters are not really necessary and do very little in terms of value added to a grow.
Good luck brother!

Peace

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
I have the same set up, and it won't lower your ppm. The kdf filter is for iron, bad smells, hydrogen chloride, chlorine and chloramine. Pretty much what everyone said.

If you need to lower your ppm you can add the stealth ro 100, here's a link to an install vid. Looks like the add on costs about 100 bucks

Last edited:
T

Tree Guru

The kdf85 membrane has a 90% TDS removal rating...order the 99% Spectrapure Ultra from spectrapure and your good to go!

Latest posts

Top Bottom