Small Coco Vs Soil Experiment.

• Thread starter drumsnbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drumsnbuds

drumsnbuds

This was my first introduction into coco. I've done soil in 8x4 beds and always did fine. This time I used coco. To do a little experiment I separated my side plants that are in pots between soil and coco, one side of theory on was soil and the other was coco. And I have to say that coco came out superior.

I know there's tons of variables besides the two different grow mediums, light might have been slightly different between the two sides of the room, and watering with nutrients prepared for coco not soil probably hurt the soil plants a little bit. But still keeping all of that in mind the coco killed for me.

I was using a really basic nutrient regimin based off of mainly hydroponic research's veg + bloom. During veg I used some b vitamins and a little, a little magic cal, and I made worm casting teas. During flowering I used the same veg + bloom, worn casting teas and a little hydroplex during the last 4 weeks. PH was a steady 5.8-6.0.

In the beggining with the coco i fucked up and didn't charge my coco with a nutrient rich water. It yellowed my teens out overnight and I had to correct with heavy nutes. All ended well though so I'm convinced I will stick with coco.

One question though to anyone reading this... How do you go about reusing the coco for the beds?
Small coco vs soil experiment
This is the left side of the room with the soil, and the next pics are up close of some of the tops
Small coco vs soil experiment 2
Small coco vs soil experiment 3
beloe is the coco side and some close ups of them as well
Small coco vs soil experiment 5
Small coco vs soil experiment 4
Small coco vs soil experiment 6
I know these are bad pics but hope it gives a little idea. In person it's very evident of the better medium in my room.

Here's a few pics of the buds in the middle coco beds. The strain is gorilla glue
Small coco vs soil experiment 7
Small coco vs soil experiment 8
Small coco vs soil experiment 9
Small coco vs soil experiment 10
Small coco vs soil experiment 11

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I'd love to see a pic of your beds, if you have one.

The Soil plants are pushed waaaay off to the side and are in small pots while the coco beds are directly under the lights with waaay more rootspace per plant - I don't know that your experimental controls are up to snuff. :P

drumsnbuds

drumsnbuds

I'd love to see a pic of your beds, if you have one.

The Soil plants are pushed waaaay off to the side and are in small pots while the coco beds are directly under the lights with waaay more rootspace per plant - I don't know that your experimental controls are up to snuff. :p
They're that far back because I was in there working. Typically they are closer, and regardless both sides are equally as far away so the control is with the rows, not with the beds

H

happy b

Very nice set up . nice,tidy and efficient.
iv no experience useing coco nutes in soil but I didn't think it would have made much of a difference . iv used hydro nutes in soil and if I recall correctly the plants grew just as good .

drumsnbuds

drumsnbuds

Very nice, and welcome! I can't recall who's doing coco beds here... crap! Sorry. Do the beds drain?
They drain alright. I mixed chunky perlite with the coco. But for me(not many others agreed with me), the coco kept wet longer than the soil. But I never had any problems with fungus gnats or anything like that. I kept my hunidity down super low though cause im always really scared of getting PM so maybe that helped

Latest posts

Top Bottom