Small leaves and small buds

• Thread starter McClearacle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
McClearacle

McClearacle

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm new to growing and am on my second grow. My two plants are growing in fox farm happy frog mixed with regular top soil and perlite. They are growing under 4, 600 watt ViparSpectra va600 series lights. I give them small amounts of the fox farm trio plus calmag every third watering. I am nearing the end of the fourth week since I saw the first pistols, 5th week if count from when I flipped to flower. My question/issue: why are my fan leaves and buds so small? They started out big, huge even, but the more they grew they started putting out small fan leaves. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy with what I've got, I just don't know what I did wrong or what I should do better next time. Pictures posted (first pic is deceiving, looks much bigger than they are). Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Small leaves and small buds

Small leaves and small buds 2
Small leaves and small buds 3
Small leaves and small buds 4
Small leaves and small buds 5
Small leaves and small buds 6
GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Pots too big and temps too low?

Hard to tell without a more complete representation of the details of your grow.

Also, would you be able to confirm actual wattage draw for those lights? 2400W for two plants with results looking like that doesn’t make much sense.

McClearacle

McClearacle

Hard to tell without a more complete representation of the details of your grow.

Also, would you be able to confirm actual wattage draw for those lights? 2400W for two plants with results looking like that doesn’t make much sense.
Hi. The lights draw 125 actual watts each, so 500 total watts. The lights are approx 18" above the tops of each plant. They are both in 5 gallon fabric pots. One plant is 2 feet wide, 2 feet tall. The other is 2.5 wide and 2.5 feet tall. They both strated out with huge crazy fan leaves and super thick stems, but everything kind of petered out the older they got, stems got thinner and the leaves are grew smaller and smaller. They are in a 5*5* 80 tent. Inline exhaust fan and two smaller fans. What else can I tell you?

McClearacle

McClearacle

Hi. The lights draw 125 actual watts each, so 500 total watts. The lights are approx 18" above the tops of each plant. They are both in 5 gallon fabric pots. One plant is 2 feet wide, 2 feet tall. The other is 2.5 wide and 2.5 feet tall. They both strated out with huge crazy fan leaves and super thick stems, but everything kind of petered out the older they got, stems got thinner and the leaves are grew smaller and smaller. They are in a 5*5* 80 tent. Inline exhaust fan and two smaller fans. What else can I tell you?
Also wanted to say that I grew 6 plants with these same four lights with my first grow. The leaves and stems grew fine and everything was bigger overall. The only change I made was bumping plants down from 6 to 2

Last edited:
Hugs

Hugs

Could be genetics, assuming each plant is different (i.e. not from clones from the same moma).

McClearacle

McClearacle

The temps are around 72 on average, might go up or down a degree or two. Humidity is averaging 41-43%.

McClearacle

McClearacle

Could be genetics, assuming each plant is different (i.e. not from clones from the same moma).
They are two separate plants. Both bag seed. One smells like sweet candy and cheese, the other smells earthy and pungent. The candy smelling one is a clone from my first grow, and her mom produced an ounce of dried smokable good bud. Just not sure what caused these to go from big thick trunks to skinny stems and small leaves. The quality of bud on these two plants is a lot better than the first set- tighter, denser, and much stinkier. I mean, I'm happy for whatever I get, and am overall pleased with the plants. I'm learning more all the time. Just don't know what caused/causes the small growth.

Top Bottom