Small Outdoor Plant Defoliation Question

• Thread starter nashobaTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I have a nice little Strawberry Glue in early flower in a pot (on wheels for portability) and the inside is pretty congested. I’ve defoliated and trimmed larfy stems from my larger in ground plants before but I’m wondering whether I should trim the small shaded lower branches as shown in the pics. Part of me says yes but part of me says keep any leaf and stem that makes food for a small plant. If you’ve grown or are growing like this, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Small outdoor plant defoliation question
Small outdoor plant defoliation question 2
Small outdoor plant defoliation question 3
Madbud

Madbud

She looks fine to me, no topping, just natural branching. I trim out small suckers about halfway up each branch and bend them out. Probably better methods but it gives good results. Week ago
9B6627AF 17E1 4A24 9CC9 28BA3FAEA4C0

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks for that info. Your plants look bushy. Looks like they’re in 10 gallon pots and wondering if you rotate your plants to get equal sun on all sides?

Madbud

Madbud

Thanks for that info. Your plants look bushy. Looks like they’re in 10 gallon pots and wondering if you rotate your plants to get equal sun on all sides?
5 and 7.5 gallon, keeps them under the fence. I rotate once in a while, maybe once/week but mainly bend branches. Its an art to keep them from breaking.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I hear you on being an art. Got to know your plant’s flexibility.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'd sit down with a pare of sharp scissors and start at the bottom. Remove all leaves and all buds from all stalks and sub branches bellow top colas on each branch or sub branch.
Leaving only leaves growing out of top colas. This is a beautiful plant but it needs to be hard core trimmed if you don't want a bunch of popcorn bud. Do this to it asap.
This lets the sun in to ripen all those beautiful top colas being shaded buy the leaves. The plant will respond buy growing sugary colas rather than popcorn all over the sides of the shaded stalks. Go back every other day and keep it clean. Don't let the plant grow any buds on the sides of the main or sub stalks.
IMG 2080 2

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Nice tree lol, you prune for 2 reasons 1 to get your branches into the light, or 2 to improve airflow to prevent mold, is your strain hardy, we have had a wet summer, if you want to it wont hurt but go light.

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

I would leave it it’s a beautiful healthy looking plant man well done👍

socks4free

socks4free

You don't want to overly defoliate outdoor plants, indoors it makes sense because the light is stronger near the top and bottom doesnt get nearly as much light. outdoors doesn't have those problems the sun is just as strong at the top and the bottom of the plant and light will generally reach well through it. The one thing I would suggest is trimming any inside fan leaf at the bottom of the plant to create better airflow.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

So this is the Strawberry Glue tonight compared to the pic on August 21. Would you defoliators remove most of the larger leaves on the lower third of the plant? There’s a fair amount of “breathing room” down there and I’m inclined to leave them on to make food for the tops. Oh, and I wrapped the black pot with foiled plastic insulation and it dropped the external pot temperature dramatically during sunny days. Really blew my mind how much cooler the pot (and roots) are now.

078EE312 7F46 44E3 9062 4F8842D97E12
F5D4902F 9AFD 4D8B BC10 7D509D95DAE5
mancorn

mancorn

Oh, and I wrapped the black pot with foiled plastic insulation and it dropped the external pot temperature dramatically during sunny days. Really blew my mind how much cooler the pot (and roots) are now.
Good idea! I get those foil insulators from a milk deliver and never had a good use for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom