Small white insects in my coco ..help!

• Thread starter steveedg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steveedg

steveedg

Hi all does anyone know what these are they look like little catapillars that can jump they are white and only about 1-2mm in size .......(too small to get in a picture)

i have 3 plants in coco and 1 in soil and the pests are only in the coco with no sign of any in the soil

will they damage my plants ?does anyone know what they are or how to get rid of them

help please :(

steveedg

steveedg

hard to say without seeing pcs but could be fungus gnats

they are tiny and are just under the surface of the coco they float when i water the plants like i said my camera isn't good enough to get a close up of them but it seems funny they aren't touching the plant in soil (it's mixed in with the coco ones)

creepy little things as well lol

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm sure someone will have a exact answer for ya brother so don't stress

G

Grower

These insects are springtails, so-named because many species (not Onychiurus spp.) have a forked structure folded under their abdomen; when flicked out it propels the insect into the air and helps the creature escape predators or adverse conditions. Many species of springtail of various colours occur in garden soil but the types most frequently found in potting compost are white, such as Onychiurus species. Springtails are also sometimes known as collembola.
Control

None is necessary. These are harmless creatures that feed on fungal growth and decaying plant material. They are dependent on damp conditions and so will not spread away from pot plants or become a nuisance in the home.

steveedg

steveedg

thanks for the quick help i'll look into the gnat off and give the room a good clean out

steveedg

steveedg

thanks for the info grower glad to hear they won't do any damage to the plants

M

mr. revolution

I dont know what they called but i used to get them too.i think they are water born because if there was water in the tray there would always be a whole bunch floatin around so id just dump them then in fall they all disappeared even b4 it started gettin real cold

M

mr. revolution

heres a link with some good info^^^ and i was wrong they not wter born they just thrive in it

40AmpstoFreedom

It sounds exactly like white flies to me...

They jump striaght up in the air when they see you and they live in the substrate...

"White flies:
They look just like tiny moths, and lay eggs on leaves and or top of the soil. They are a pest in big numbers and are not very hard to get rid of, they can cause damage by sucking sap from the plants. Here are some ways NOT to get them: Do not overwater your potted plants. Allow the soil to dry between waterings and provide good drainage. Another one is to put sticky traps up when you think you may have them, that way when they get stuck you can identify them.
if you already have white flys, you can use insecticidal soap, this will help stop them from flying so it wont infect other plants.
It also stops them from laying new eggs. If you use the soap reapply weekly.
If insecticidal soap does not work too well, there is some other options that are stronger called PERMETHRIN dust, Which can be used during flowering and is safe on ediable plants.
Here are some other good things to use to rid of white flys: PERMETHRIN and biffen (both are safe to use on ediable plants),
Spreader sticker ( hich allows to apply the spray to a wider area)
Nylar ( works well for inhibiting there growth and development)ORTHENE FOGGERS works well for a small area and are safe on the plants.Other poducts you can try are:

Chemicals
Hot Pepper Wax,Safer Yard & Garden Insecticide (which can be used right to the day of harvest),GNATROL( used in hydro in the water as well as soil),Doc's Neem Pest Soap,Safer Sticky Stakes,TR-11000 Pyrethrum."

If they end up being white flies:
pour a half inch layer of sand on top and put some cups of beer in the room they will go to the beer and drowned and the eggs they lay in the substrate won't be able to hatch and get out so you kill the growth cycle....

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
These insects are springtails, so-named because many species (not Onychiurus spp.) have a forked structure folded under their abdomen; when flicked out it propels the insect into the air and helps the creature escape predators or adverse conditions. Many species of springtail of various colours occur in garden soil but the types most frequently found in potting compost are white, such as Onychiurus species. Springtails are also sometimes known as collembola.
Control

None is necessary. These are harmless creatures that feed on fungal growth and decaying plant material. They are dependent on damp conditions and so will not spread away from pot plants or become a nuisance in the home.

Bingo...and they seem to be more active in coco

tex

B

bowlpacks

Bingo...and they seem to be more active in coco

tex

Mine gather on top of the water in my res (flood and drain coco). They seem to all gather into one or two areas and stay all together in little circles. Is this the same pest?

DSC09136
DSC09137

4EVERGREEN

i dont like any kind of bugs in my grow peroid!! even if they arnt dangerous, go and get some dutchmaster zone and use it with every feeding, its not a pesticide its a root conditioner that kills all medium bugs!!! i use a real light dose of zone in every feeding in coco and rw!! i wont grow without it!!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
B

bowlpacks

Does Zone kill bugs? I thought it just killed pathogens. I was gonna use azamax, but I'd feel better about putting Zone in my res.

B

bowlpacks

Got some Go Gnats and it killed the shit out of those bastards in one flooding. Im flooding one more time and then a fresh res. Picked up some Zone and some Great White for bennies. Im gonna use the Zone this week to clean things up and then the Great white to inoculate the nice and clean rhizosphere. I just wanted to post and let everyone know that the go gnats at 1.25oz per 10 gallons killed springtails with the quickness.
Now my question is: will introducing beneficial bacteria and fungus into the rhizosphere also bring about the possibility of more fungus feeding pests? We will see. :fighting0003:

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Yes they spring into the air a bit as in jumping. They feed off decaying matter and aren't harmful unless there is a huge infestation.

Top Bottom