Smart-Pot Alternative?

• Thread starter Foxfarmfreak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Foxfarmfreak

I'm trying those environmentally helpful re-useable grocery bags they sell at the local market for .99 cents The ones I picked up are made out of breathable cloth and they are about 5 gallons in size, I'm gonna try a couple on the porch and let you know how it goes....alot cheaper than Smart-pots.....just a thought!!!

Peace FFF:harvest:

Jack_Baybeh

Jack_Baybeh

Let us know my man. You could very well be on to something. I love cheap, effective alternatives.

waayne

waayne

Nice experiment FFF
Will be interesting to see your results!

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

foxfarm....landscape fabric (weed cloth)makes great smartpots...if you can sew....they make all kinds but go to a "landscape" store they have thick shit almost like felt .....and it's pretty cheap....and make whatever size pot you want...it's the same material they use to make the "smart pots"

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I had that idea, but not all landscape fabrics are made the same. Many absolutely will not hold stitches.
If they don't pre-maturely compost you should be fine :)
I was just going to mention that if they're made of canvas and you've got a good population of mycorrhizae in the soil, I know for a fact they'll eat it. Factually. In about 2 weeks or so, assuming they're healthy and active.

inthefire

inthefire

Kool ideas so has anyone tried any of this experiments?

S

sirsmokealot

my buddy at the hydro store said i could get some chicken wire, make a big hoop and then get some landscape fabric and stick it in the hoop. anyone try that? i was planning on using 200g smart pots but any way i can save money without to much work/hassle im game.

P

paulycali

i was thinking about the same thing the other day. cant wait to see the results

D

Doomsterx

damn thats trippy. roots organic makes their own version of smartpots now. they are from recycled material and a couple bucks cheaper. only seen em in humboldt so far tho

A

antimatter

Love not having to transplant and having a perfect rootball, though im not sure if they actually speed up growth.

H

hasishan

homade smartpots

2 weeks ago we decided 60'' x 12'' chicken wire baskets w/ landscape felt was our cheapest and easiest option. Sounds like I'm not alone.

S

sirsmokealot

did you guys use the landscape fabric on the sides only or did you use it for the bottom also and just stuff it down the basket and let in wrinkle in the corners. would love to see how they came out

Top Bottom