Smart Pots In An Ebb & Flow?

• Thread starter rubthe nub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rubthe nub

rubthe nub

The title pretty much says it all

Has anybody ever seen this or heard of it?

I saw an acquaintance a few days ago and he was asking me lots of questions about an ebb & flow set-up. I think he got most of his info from the grow shop;). I was able to answer all of his question until he got to the pots. I told him I'd never heard of using smart pots in ebb & flow before.

I was thinking the smarties would stay too wet. I completely dismissed the idea when he mentioned it but now I'm second guessing. I've run hydro a long time and used smart pots also BUT never thought of combining the two, is this some new "trick" set-up that I don't know about? Maybe this old dog needs to learn some new tricks.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I would say that would be fine. Although it fed right on with ur concern. However with enough air movement the smartie wouldn't remain to wet. Imo. I don't think it would give u anything extra than doing a traditional ebb and flow. Just thinking someone with ur knowledge would pull of anything but why risk it. Although even saying that I don't see it being to much risk.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I'm just trying not to rule out something new. Always trying to improve.
I told by buddy just run net pots with buckets like I do, so............

GGV1

Some Gainseville Green in veg

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

The closest thing to that I know of is running smart pots on a 4 x 8 with a dripper hose and dripper spikes hooked directly to the pump. It ran the normal ebb and flo schedule but it was top feed and if I remember correctly it was a mostly hydroton and some coco or maybe it was a bit of rockwool idk guess I am being of absolutely no help here am I.... well nevermind iv seen it done tho

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

that's like dtw with a 'chow' mix
that is a pretty good set-up
I had just never heard of it(smartie hydro) before
I shall do some digging and discover the 'source' of this misinformation

Perhaps somebody will still chime in but as of right now, I'm calling this myth busted;)

Tnelz

Tnelz

I'm about to run some tables. Probably some Rockwood plugs and hydroton. Getting excited. Lol. Got a fire inspection on Tuesday so I gotta break down for 24 hours. Pissed but it lets me set back up in a more spacious environment. Anyway u know what ur doing bro. Give it a try. I can't help but have some sort of experiment going. Lol.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I wouldn't for a second call this miss information bro I see absolutely no reason to believe you could not use smart pots on a flood table with hydroton doing a normal ebb n flo routine of watering times and nutrient levels... you should see some of the shit i have done in a hydroponic manner such as a soil plant in 3 gal dropped in 5gal filled 1/3 with nutrient solution and an airstone under the planter and you would not believe the way she came out.....

Tnelz

Tnelz

Agree with @KiLoEleMeNt . Def don't find it to be misinformation. If u go on u tube I'm sure I will find guys doing flood and drain in this manner. I believe ur thinking in the first post is just on the moisture but I don't see it being a holy shit that's stupid kind of thing. My buddy down stairs grows on a table and leaves it flooded constantly. When I first saw his set up I was like no way this is ok. Its basically a shallow water culture with rockwool blocks. He's been doing it forever and he kills it. Its unconventional imo but it works for him. Not the same thing but I'd put smartie in the same category. Seen them used in a top feed system but can't see why flood and drain won't be ok. Ur ladies look amazing by the way. Also my first post I said why risk it but I'd like to take that back. If u feel like doing it I say why not. Respect brother.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Horray @Tnelz man i am very happy to hear you say that. you share the same philosophy as I do. And it is to bad more people do not pick up the phone and answer common sense. Dude has been calling and calling for a very long time....... :writer: .......

Applause
ken dog

ken dog

Smart pots and hydroten are a good way to go, and my buddy ran it that way for years... The roots go back up the sides of the Smart Pot, and don't get exposed to the light... although some make it through the smart part itself.

I would not top water it... Ebb and flow is designed to push up the stagnant air as the tables flood, and pull in the fresh air as the flood levels drop... It is a
good way to get fresh
oxygen to the roots.

somaboy

somaboy

I told him I'd never heard of using smart pots in ebb & flow before.
I have grow bags and it says on the label they can be used in flood trays. I currently have a peat/coir mix as media and the bags sit in a plastic tray. I have been hand feeding from a pail of oxygenated water, filling the tub with water and letting the plants soak it up. It has worked well. I'm thinking of trying the same setup with perlite for higher oxygen levels and maybe some peat or coir for moisture retention. Why not simply add a water pump, an intake and outlet tube and automate the process? Seems reasonable enuff to me.

PapaThai

PapaThai

The title pretty much says it all

Has anybody ever seen this or heard of it?

I saw an acquaintance a few days ago and he was asking me lots of questions about an ebb & flow set-up. I think he got most of his info from the grow shop;). I was able to answer all of his question until he got to the pots. I told him I'd never heard of using smart pots in ebb & flow before.

I was thinking the smarties would stay too wet. I completely dismissed the idea when he mentioned it but now I'm second guessing. I've run hydro a long time and used smart pots also BUT never thought of combining the two, is this some new "trick" set-up that I don't know about? Maybe this old dog needs to learn some new tricks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom