Smart pots ????

• Thread starter cooper1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cooper1

cooper1

i was running just ocean forest by it self 2 year ago and was the best weed you ever seen now im trying new shit and nothing is working for me as good this is my last try at mixing soil if this doesnt work im going stright of from now on

cooper1

cooper1

so if i start with a nice clone and put her right in to a 10 gallon smart pot the first water when i transplant it should i water it heavey all over they whole pot or just put a little around where the roots are going to be because it going to be a while to get to the side and the water will take for ever to dry up right
so in 10 gallon how much like 2 gallon or less for the first watering
or should i put it in the bath tub and hit it with like 20 gallon let the water run thrue it and got really wet

S

skindeep35

the mistake i made was using SuperSoil potting mix w/ no perlite assuming the SmartPots would aerate my roots....not very brite....lol.... and the PH in my soil was like 4.2....SuperSoil sucks....

IMO.....i think if u mix 1/8 part perlite w/ FF Ocean Forest.... and 1/2 cup dolomite lime (per ur 10g SP)....u should soak the 10 g pots let them drain until soil is moist (not wet) THEN transplant them..... THEN 'feed the roots' w/ a normal watering

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

If you follow that mix I gave you, you will not have any problems at all. It is a tried and true recipe that works. Ihave set many people up with it and they still use it after years of growing.
Do not use sand from the Ocean, Too much stuff in it.

With this method you take a WELL rooted clone and put it in the #10 pot and water a little, then add more, you want to water it well the first time. You might not need any water for a little bit.
You do know how to tell if a plant needs water when using soil right? If not follow this, Weigh your pot without any plants in it before watering. That is the weight it should weigh before you water again. You need to let soil dry out a little before you water. In a #10 I only water about once a week with lil clones and later on about twice a week. Do not over water. The more love you show it by watering without need you are doing more harm.

Never water a wet pot. Do not leave water sitting at the bottom of a pot and let the plant drink it back up. Would you want to be drinking your toilet water every day? I sure would not. And neither do the plants.

The HP mix you are using does not have nutes in it. The mix you made sounds like it is missing plenty of stuff.
The recipe I gave you has enough in it to last thru your harvest. Try it out on a few to see if works compared to something else you want to try.
I have found some really good recipes by playing around with Side by Side tests of different soils.

Nowday's I play with Coco. Still using Smart Pots, but much smaller SP's and harvesting much more with less effort.

Another thing you asked about how much to water. It really depends on your enviroment. If the humidity is too high it will take a while for it to dry out. Just like if it is too dry in your room it will dry out the soil super quick.

Enviroment is pretty much just as or more important than lighting in a grow room.

cooper1

cooper1

i was growing two year ago using just ocean forest buy it self had great harvest
DSC02948.jpg
DSC02261.jpg
DSC02956.jpg
DSC03136.jpg
but i had to stop for a while i came back think no prob just jump right back in but i fuck uo a couple of thing the last run and thue me in to crazy mode thinking i did something wrong

the dude i was buying weed told me to use pro mix half a bag of perlite and grow big and big bloom that what he was using and his shit was so bomb but i know he was going me fuck up info i dont know y i listen i know how to grow great weed i was using flora nova grow and bloom 2 year back i would all so use hygrozmia every watering then weeek 5 flower i would use floralish plus and the week 7 cool bloom i was killing it i think my problem this time is def the soil i has nothing in it like you said
before i would put them in the bath tub andfill them a couple times but it would drain in the o.f. and with in no more then 5 days it was dry as shit and the plant would shoot up with the mix i made now i did the same bath tub scean and the were heavy and iwas think we would be good in 5 day but now its goin on 9 and there still pretty heavy but ill get it look at some for my old pic you will see y im going cazy over here but thanks for you help
DSC01652.jpg
DSC01642.jpg
DSC01663.jpg
DSC035552.jpg
DSC03544.jpg
DSC03179.jpg
DSC03154.jpg
DSC03164.jpg

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

From the looks of it you were using the 2 gallon square white pots. I could not see what you had under them. Is there water just sitting under them?
Can you please explain your grow room atmosphere setup. What is your Humidity at? Temps? Day and Night please. What size fan are you using for exhaust? Passive or Fan powered intake? Air cooled lights?
I am just curious to why it is taking so long for your plants to dry out. Im thinking your humidity is way too hi or your letting the pot sit in the waste water.
I do know that Fox Farm has had some irregular bags of Ocean Forest with the PH. They have recomended to add some Dolomite lime to help my buddy told me when he called them recently. That could be an issue also.

If you want you can do what your buddy told you to use. follow Fox Farm Hydro recipe then. Use all there nutes in there feed line. Your buddy is not yankin your chain. Those are really good nutes especially for people that are starting out. One thing I suggest if you do, when it says to flush, FLUSH!!! They are great nutes and work well.

I do not grow in soil anymore due to the reason of getting rid of the soil after the grow. It is too sketchy for me cus I live in a Condo and my next door neighbor is a Sheriff.

I now grow in Coco, In a feed to waste setup. Way cheaper and easier to setup. If you want to play with coco I suggest using CNS17 by Botanicare, I used that the first time I did Coco and Excellent results. I have never got less than a half p a plant growing in Coco. All I did was run tubing to each plant and feed 3 times a day for a minute each feed when the lights are on. Get a $20 digital timer from a grow shop and use that for your feed.

Soil does get expensive very quick. For 6 #10 SP's it costs me about $120 to fill them. Using Coco costs about a 1/3rd of that.

cooper1

cooper1

i will post up some pic of my problems i hate posting shit up that i fuck up on but i need some help over here
i cut that down last month it looked all right but dont let it fool you in week for those are the ones that i hit with way to much floralishious plus i gave them 2 tabel spoons and fuck it all up i will get back later im at work peace thanks for the help

dorjewright

dorjewright

Smart Pot Watering

I've been using a moisture meter and find my smart pots seem to dry unevenly. There are 2 screens with 5gal. pots. The side of the pots toward the middle of the screen can be at 0-3 on the moisture scale the outside 6 to 8. I've been watering for 10 minutes (soaker tube) then wait a short while and add another quart by hand with or without nutes until I get some runoff. Never get runoff with the first 10 minutes.
All the pots are filled with straight Roots Potting soil (a little of Subcool's supersoil), Nutes are Earth Juice Grow, CAt, Meta etc. the full line for soil. Also added some Rhino Skin. I usually make an aerated tea the day before.

So I'm concerned Ill over water the wet side or over dry the dry side. Should I try to water only the dry side?? What to do????

IMG 0055
IMG 0056
IMG 0057
IMG 0060
IMG 0061
Lazerus00

Lazerus00

This is one of the many benefits of Smart Ports is being short and wide. Marijuana grows best in short and wide containers. It the roots WANT to grow WIDE not short. With a wide container you get bigger roots.

You all know you CAN make these for pennies on the dollar by making them yourself. Go to Case De Depot or Lowes and buy a roll of Garden Weed Blocker, It is pretty much the same fabric as Smart Pots. Just a tad bit thinner.
Take a Smart Pot any size you want to use and take it apart. Now you have a Patern to go by. Just cut out your design and sew it up. Takes about 5 minutes to sew one up. Costs about $1.00 for a #10 if that. It is a good way to save some bucks.

Also you do water differently when using smart pots. DO NOT water all at once when watering. YOu need to water a little at first. This is So very important. Let it soak into the SP and soil. Then go back and water it again about 10-15 minutes later till you get about 20% runoff

Hey so this is my first grow and I was about to transplant for my solos to my 3gal smart pots then finish in my 7gal smart pots but after reading this thread I guess I'm better off just going straight in the 7's...My question is, I will have them sitting in grooved dishes, should i just allow runoff to sit in dish? Empty after runoff is done? Or water in the sink or another deeper container then put back in the dishes? Please and thank you for any advice...

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I'm using smart pots. I put my seedlings straight in the full size pots and they have romped away. I'm using the canna soil and I'm hoping I won't need nutes till late flower. Gonna let my plants tell me when they need a feed. I'm not gonna just feed regardless. The canna soil is a great mix. I'm on a tight budget and didn't wanna have to keep transplanting as they grew. The drainage is excellent too.

Nobu

Nobu

I'm using smart pots exclusively now after having some great success. Cleaner, lighter weight, and they just rock. I'm working with 2g, 3g, and 5g and the plants thrive. I'm a fan of the SP.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@cooper1 your dog is awesome!

No doubt, smart pots all the way. I usually plant one or two plants in plastic pots because I run out of smart pots. They are always the plants I throw away because they lack the vigor of the plants in smart pots. Many reasons why, but simply put, smart pots are far superior.

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

My soil recipe is the Moonshine Mix with a lil varience.

1 bag Fox farm Ocean Forest
1 bag Fox farm ligth warrior
1 bag Happy Frog Potting Soil
1/2 bag of Big and Chunky Perlite
1 cup Peice of Mind Fruit and Flower
4 cups of Earth Work Castings
1 coffe can of Green Sand or Playground Sand
1/2 bag of flocked Coco, Buy the best brand

I used to have at least a 50 gallon barrel full for standby.
About 1.5 week before flower I would Top Dress each Container with about 3 inches of the fresh soil.
Most of the time this was enough nutes inside so you can just water only the whole way thru flower. Sometimes you might get a plant that is showing it needs nutes around week 3 in flower and I will hit it with a 1/4 strength Bloom Food for 2 waterings.
I wuold veg for about 3 weeks and flower for 8-9 weeks and pull at least a qp a plant but usually got about 7-9 oucnes per plant W/O Co2.
That sound like a good routine and watch the flowers to see their needs instead of just shoving stuff up roots. Use dutch pro nutes and like at half strength I'd burn my girls rather not have to depend on synthetic nutes

Top Bottom