Smart Thermostats, Sensors? - New Here.

• Thread starter mlw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mlw

mlw

New here, in the process of building a small (1,000 sf- 850 grow, 150 nutrient storage) grow facility for an established legal grower.
We're about to order AC units (two 5 ton Goodman central air single stage condensers and full size multi-position air handlers, which will hang in the two upper corners of the space, no ductwork). Sealed room with supplemental CO2 (burner), mix of HPS and LEP lights. To run the AC when ambient (outside) air is cool we need Low Ambient controls, hard start kits, and freeze protection kits, which they tell me should be good to 0 deg. Unfortunately they don't work with the smart models, so looking at aftermarket smart wifi thermostats (Ecobee3, Nest, Honeywell, etc), preferably with additional sensors.

room.jpg

So I am hoping some of you have experience with these sort of smart wifi thermostats, as I am old enough to know that smart isn't necessarily simple, that simple is often dumb, and that the devil is in the details (:
It would make my friend's life easier if he could sit in his living room and ask Alexa for a status report - temp, humidity, co2 levels. But I would rather not spend weeks on the gritty details of home automation protocols, or install $600+ for a couple thermostats and have it think my parameters are too unusual ):

So if you have used one of these gizmo's, either home or grow, I would appreciate any feedback on whether it might suit my purposes.
Michael

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Subbing to listen along, but curious if you're in a cold area, have you considered a water/glycol based system with chillers for summer?

Top Bottom