smell suggestions filters dont seem to be working

• Thread starter linky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

linky

I have a sealed room, 21 x 13 x 7 (divided into two rooms, veg/flower) I have a carbon filter in each room mounted on the ceiling, filter has a 6" inline fan (think 440 cfm) and the filter is 30ish inches long and 10" wide, would have to go measure to be certain.. but it does not seem to do anything for the smell. I keep reading people say just scrub the room with carbon filters and it will take care of most of the smell but its not, suggestions?

thanks

C

crossouttheiis

vaportek and the carbon filter should do the trick thats what my buddy uses in a similar size room. the vaportek does not affect the smell

L

linky

Ill look into the vaportek, thanks. Seems the carbon filters are not doing anything at all in the room. I even turned them off for a day to see how much it would effect the smell in the room, and it did not even seem to make a difference.. seems the carbon filters are not doing much at all.

vaporedout

vaporedout

where are you smelling it?? i mean the room should smell right? you just dont want your exhaust air smelling. i thought i wouldnt need one because i had my exhaust going through the attic and out a vent in the roof, but once i flipped to flower i noticed a faint dank smell around my driveway. i added a carbon and it was fine outside, but it still smelled in the actual room.

L

linky

where are you smelling it?? i mean the room should smell right? you just dont want your exhaust air smelling. i thought i wouldnt need one because i had my exhaust going through the attic and out a vent in the roof, but once i flipped to flower i noticed a faint dank smell around my driveway. i added a carbon and it was fine outside, but it still smelled in the actual room.

Its a sealed room, but once inawhile I get a small scent in the house. I do not exhaust anything outside.

G

Growops

i agree filtres works great for cleaning air to go outside . what about plug in airfresner ? if its a just a faint smell once ina while it might help u . but if the filter is new nd connected proper it must be help u abit . i use filter to scrub in drying room and it helps alot with smell . good luck

L

linky

Well looking at my carbon filters, the local store sold me can-filters can lites.. from looking at their website it seems that is not a scrubbing model, maybe its because the filters they sold me are not up to the task to scrub the room clean. gunna have to look into the scrubbing models it seems.

G

GirlCarny

The hydroponic store I visit, has made tons of money off of my ignorance. So take this for what its worth.

When I went to buy a carbon filter they specifically said " buy whichever brand you want except can-filters lite "
They sold all the can fan line and phresh line of filters, they were adamant that I would not be happy with it.

budfriend

budfriend

Simple. 14in max fan and the biggest filter for that fan. if still smell get another one. simple.

treebark1950

treebark1950

I run 2 can 125s and 2 10" max fans per 7k sealed room recirculating air. I don't think you have a big enough scrubber. My rule of thumb is 100 lbs of carbon for every 4 lights minimum.

I don't wanna stink up the neighborhood!

R

Rushed

I would find the leak, If you have a sealed room where is the stink coming from.

Your light venting, your ac unit exhaust?

Fix the leak you fix the problem.

What's your setup?

Most sealed rooms have negative pressure, at least mine does. I have a hard time opening my door.

Good luck

MountainWalker

MountainWalker

Simple. 14in max fan and the biggest filter for that fan. if still smell get another one. simple.

I agree with this ^. I've had to go overboard on the carbon filters to nix any exhaust odors, if you still have problems I've heard ozone generators work well, but have no experience with them myself.

B

Budwiser0908

I have a sealed room, 21 x 13 x 7 (divided into two rooms, veg/flower) I have a carbon filter in each room mounted on the ceiling, filter has a 6" inline fan (think 440 cfm) and the filter is 30ish inches long and 10" wide, would have to go measure to be certain.. but it does not seem to do anything for the smell. I keep reading people say just scrub the room with carbon filters and it will take care of most of the smell but its not, suggestions?

thanks

First if you smell outside of the room, it isn't totally sealed and you've got to find the leaks. Second the filters you have are way to small for that room and you don't have enough. The more plants you have the more filters you need also. I have a 22x12x8 room and I have 5 large filters in my room and an Ona gel pail. Third you can also add a couple of ozone jrs to that room and the combination of filters, Ona and ozone should do the trick. However during the heaviest stages of flowering you will still prolly smell it a little inside the room. If that bothers you then adding negative pressure to the room with an atmosphere change every 5-10 mins will definitely fix it.

L

linky

First if you smell outside of the room, it isn't totally sealed and you've got to find the leaks. Second the filters you have are way to small for that room and you don't have enough. The more plants you have the more filters you need also. I have a 22x12x8 room and I have 5 large filters in my room and an Ona gel pail. Third you can also add a couple of ozone jrs to that room and the combination of filters, Ona and ozone should do the trick. However during the heaviest stages of flowering you will still prolly smell it a little inside the room. If that bothers you then adding negative pressure to the room with an atmosphere change every 5-10 mins will definitely fix it.

thanks for the replies all.. yeah it appears the local grow store steered me the wrong way with filters, canfilters.com does not even describe them as scrubbers, the can-lites they sold me. my room is a total of 22x13x7 (ish) Would a can 125 and a max fan 14" do the trick or would that still not be enough?

You have 5 large filters going? what size are they? how much cfm are going through them?

thanks

budfriend

budfriend

how many lights. YOu would want the can 150 or can maxfilter 2500cfm for the 14in maxfan. the 14in max fan is quiter than the 10in or 12 in maxfan. Like treebark said use one of those for every 4-5 lights. plant count means nothing. Its lights.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Switched from CAN filters to PHRESH filters and could not be happier!! RB

B

Budwiser0908

thanks for the replies all.. yeah it appears the local grow store steered me the wrong way with filters, canfilters.com does not even describe them as scrubbers, the can-lites they sold me. my room is a total of 22x13x7 (ish) and I will have 60 plants total at a time going. Would a can 125 and a max fan 14" do the trick or would that still not be enough?

You have 5 large filters going? what size are they? how much cfm are going through them?

thanks

I have the largest size. They cost close to $300 each. For 60 plants you are going to need prolly at least 7-8 and ozone. With a grow that size it's going to be impossible to totally eliminate the odor. I went with a negative pressure room and suck the dirty scrubbed air outside thru 2 super large 12 inch big blue ozone generators. Plus I have a couple of ozone jrs in the room. How is that room sealed? I would seal all the cracks and do the room inside a room program for total super sealed room. I only run about 36 in mine but I veg 7-9 weeks so mine are super large

treebark1950

treebark1950

I would have to agree with some of the farmers here, I would do at least 2 can 125s or if u have the vertical space 2 150s. I would have gone this route except the can 150s + fan+muffler were too tall for me. You can't have too much carbon ever.

Also these larger fans sound like a jet engine compared to a 6" inline. I had to use mufflers on them, and I wrapped the fans in r13 insulation to quiet them down. Just as an FYI...

I'm scared to run ozone in my flower rooms, but I use it extensively on all rooms outside of the flower rooms in case some smell escapes. It's my last resort to knock that smell down.

I've never used the max fan 14" only the 10s and 12s but I'm gonna try a 14 to see the sound difference. I don't like the 12s because of the special motor they use which has trouble on a speedster speed control, I know because I burned a 12 up.

In fact my strains are stinky enough I want to add a 3rd can125 to each of my flower rooms. Call me paranoid but my OG reaks and I mean reaks....

Top Bottom