Smoke/ash from fires close to harvest

• Thread starter zootallures9777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Hello everyone. I’m in NorCal and it goes without saying that we’re going through some strange times right now. I’m a first time outdoor grower and could be harvesting my first plant within 2 weeks. Question: what (if anything) should I do about the ash falling from the skies due to the fires? It’s accumulating on everything here, flowers included. Any ideas?

BudBogart

BudBogart

All we do here s rinse the plants to wash off ash that landed on the plants. Ash does add potash to the soil and plants...too much potash starts to lock out nitrogen, so don’t add any extra k, or potash.
Ash and water make lye, so be sure you water deep to dilute the wet lye.
We have never noticed a smoky flavor to buds, we grow in the sierras, fires every year up here.

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

I washed my buds last year because I had aphids. Hydrogen peroxide in a bucket of lukewarm water. It felt really weird to do it, especially when I had to whip them to fling off the water, but it didn't hurt a thing. Lots of crud came off them that I'm glad I didn't smoke. I'm washing again this year.

Derelict999

Derelict999

I washed my buds last year because I had aphids. Hydrogen peroxide in a bucket of lukewarm water. It felt really weird to do it, especially when I had to whip them to fling off the water, but it didn't hurt a thing. Lots of crud came off them that I'm glad I didn't smoke. I'm washing again this year.
You are not the first person I've seen say this. I am debating...

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Lots of great info on this thread, glad I started it and really happy folks are chiming in. Re: hanging dry, are you doing this in your drying space or BEFORE you take them to your drying space? I'm going to be drying in a 2x2.5 tent w/ oscillating fans on the floor, paired with a fan sucking the air out of the tent and through a carbon filter. Was thinking I'd likely do the wash and hang them BEFORE putting them in my tent though. Terrified of mold.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Lots of great info on this thread, glad I started it and really happy folks are chiming in. Re: hanging dry, are you doing this in your drying space or BEFORE you take them to your drying space? I'm going to be drying in a 2x2.5 tent w/ oscillating fans on the floor, paired with a fan sucking the air out of the tent and through a carbon filter. Was thinking I'd likely do the wash and hang them BEFORE putting them in my tent though. Terrified of mold.
wash them right when you harvest. let them drip dry, then place them in your tent. take the oscillating fans out. what is cfm of the fan pulling air through the carbon filter? passive airflow over the buds is fine, carbon filter isnt necessary. what is humidity of the room? should be 60% if you can get it there

Madbud

Madbud

I just use a small fan to blow off droplets, hairdryer would probably work too.

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

wash them right when you harvest. let them drip dry, then place them in your tent. take the oscillating fans out. what is cfm of the fan pulling air through the carbon filter? passive airflow over the buds is fine, carbon filter isnt necessary. what is humidity of the room? should be 60% if you can get it there

Carbon filter is necessary if you ask my wife LOL. I personally don't care about odor. Anyway, the fan I have is 160cfm, variable speed. I have a hygrometer in the tent and it currently reads 68% here in Northern CA.

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Took down my Blueberry Muffins plant today. Did the bud wash per the video linked earlier in this thread. Lotta gunk came off for sure. Just put everything in the drying tent after spending much of the day on the laundry rack next to a fan. Smells great.

IMG 0733
IMG 0741
zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Thanks! Bought a moisture meter for taking readings throughout the week. Garage smells great, even with the carbon filter. LOL

Top Bottom