so called "Super Soils?"

• Thread starter Liberanos5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Copy/pasted/3 hole punched and bindered.....thanks for the rhizosphere primer. Does a kiddy pool size batch need to "ammend" (at a loss for the correct verb) for 90 days or so?

I do not know about 90 days, but I let all my soils sit (cook) for at least 30 days before I use them. I also don't usually mix my soil in kiddie pools, although the kiddie pools definitely make the mixing easier. I use 50 gal rubber maid bins and am constantly mixing as I add ingredients although I should probably use a kiddie pool considering how long it takes me some times to mix up my soils.

Dunge

Dunge

are you saying one 5 gallon smart pot with a seedling goes to flower/harvest with no further feeding with super soil??? Forgive me for being the skeptic. That sounds impossible
This is exactly what he is saying.
And on the subject of "materials list" some fellow farmers are fond of listing all elements they can think of.
Subcools short list works for me.

Peat (ten buckets)
blood meal (3 lbs.)
bone meal (3 lbs.)
earth worm castings (small bag)
compost (large bag)
My one nod to exotic materials is a box of high phosphorous bat guano. (small expensive box)

I hand carrry my water from a local spring, water every 3 or four days, and use a 24 hour alfalfa tea about every other watering.

These are in three gallon pots, and all but the two in front, are almost eight weeks.
The floor space is about 4X4 foot and I'm under lit with one 400W HPS and one 130W LED.
DSCN3600DSCN3607
Hope this provides enough encouragement for you to give super soil a try.
Believe me, I had reservations too.
That was a few years ago.

PS genetics present are:
White Fire
pre 98 Bubba Kush
Tre Star Dawg
Alien Rock Candy

green punk

green punk

One thing I will do is. Figure out the quantities of the amendments . Mix all in one five gallon bucket at predetermined ratios. Then as you make your batch measure how much amendments per gallon/cuft/yard you are adding to the base of coco peat compost castings perlite. (6.42 gallons per cu ft, 173 gallons per yard.)

Dunge

Dunge

20% Perlite edit

Subcools short list works for me.

Peat (ten buckets)
blood meal (3 lbs.)
bone meal (3 lbs.)
earth worm castings (small bag)
compost (large bag)
My one nod to exotic materials is a box of high phosphorous bat guano. (small expensive box)

I can't edit, so I need to throw perlite on this list.
I left it out one batch and I didn't like it.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

One can very easily mix too much blood meal or bone meal or guano and burn the shit out of plants. Be careful especially with the blood meal.

hahaha damit GP! good info though, I tend not to be to specific with the info, but hey if they're not doin enough homework to be overmixin blood bone or guano then they learn the way all the rest of us did, i personally don't use the 1st 2 just cuz i think its a little overkill and put to much iron in the soil laaddy laddy la... but thanks for elaborating :D.......just follow a basic recipe online and make some bangin teas and you'll do fine, and personally i'd switch out the animal by-products( besides the poo-poo) and add some insect poo and some homade vegetable compost. Take it easy

L

Liberanos5

hahaha damit GP! good info though, I tend not to be to specific with the info, but hey if they're not doin enough homework to be overmixin blood bone or guano then they learn the way all the rest of us did, i personally don't use the 1st 2 just cuz i think its a little overkill and put to much iron in the soil laaddy laddy la... but thanks for elaborating :D.......just follow a basic recipe online and make some bangin teas and you'll do fine, and personally i'd switch out the animal by-products( besides the poo-poo) and add some insect poo and some homade vegetable compost. Take it easy
I'm sure not in the "rest of us" crowd yet but I understand the "learn the way we did" idea and I've made all the mistakes you can think of in my first grow and a few more. My seedlings are just about ready to go under the veg lights and grow #2 will begin. In super soil it'd seem!! Thank you to all that have helped by sharing your experience, and even those that have flamed me for not being all that bright. Trust me. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.;)

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Ok, lets stop acting like 5 year olds with the name calling. Lets just politely educate those who do not understand.
I did not call any names I stated facts.

You should read more posts from the OP before you help a prick.

chadkush

chadkush

Dont you have to worry about ppm in super soil? Can you use super soil as a top dressing? Id like to make a soil mix with pro mix hp as a base and go from theirs. Also can i add bat guano in the mix as well? With super mix can or do you still feed plants nutrients or is all the nutrients in the soil? I knoe i would like to use guanos and use an big bud aswell,but how do you go with using nutrients in a super soil with out killing plants? What is the ph in this kinda mix? I read subcool dont worry about ph in a super soil mix. Any one else dont worry about ph? Thanks

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

One can very easily mix too much blood meal or bone meal or guano and burn the shit out of plants. Be careful especially with the blood meal.
that blood meal is some hot shit, i used it once then gave it to a buddy; i don't really like the idea of feeding my girls blood anyways lol........take it easy

Mogrow

Mogrow

Dont you have to worry about ppm in super soil? Can you use super soil as a top dressing? Id like to make a soil mix with pro mix hp as a base and go from theirs. Also can i add bat guano in the mix as well? With super mix can or do you still feed plants nutrients or is all the nutrients in the soil? I knoe i would like to use guanos and use an big bud aswell,but how do you go with using nutrients in a super soil with out killing plants? What is the ph in this kinda mix? I read subcool dont worry about ph in a super soil mix. Any one else dont worry about ph? Thanks
dude, im not sure what ppm is and i don't own a ph thingy, u think ive got nut lockout or a calmag freeze up deal, maybe???

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Super soils require amendments like bat guanos, earthworm castings, and other organic materials that slowly release nutrients as they break down. These amendments impart all of the nutrients a plant would need into the soil. This, however, does not mean all that food is immediately available to the plants, the input materials must break down for their nutrients to become available to the plant. Because these nutrients are available over a long period of time a plant has the ability to take up what it needs and leaves the rest. It is possible to use additional nutrients but the usual intent of mixing a super soil is to avoid the need for additional nutrients. In fact it is not really nutrients that you would want to add but additives like bloom enhancers or root tonics, but if your soil is mixed correctly with proper micro-life populations you they will not do much good. Again the purpose of mixing a super soil is so your plants have all they would ever need available to them without the addition of anything more than water.

As for ppm and pH these are somewhat irrelevant. There is absolutely no way to really understand or read ppm in soil, so don't bother trying. If your soil is mixed correctly the pH will be stable and you will not ever need to check it. However soil pH can absolutely change over a long period of time, but not in the time it takes to run one crop. pH issues will only arise if you intend to reuse the same soil over and over. But with the fresh addition of organic matter and lime the pH can be brought back into a stable range.

Mogrow

Mogrow

Super soils require amendments like bat guanos, earthworm castings, and other organic materials that slowly release nutrients as they break down. These amendments impart all of the nutrients a plant would need into the soil. This, however, does not mean all that food is immediately available to the plants, the input materials must break down for their nutrients to become available to the plant. Because these nutrients are available over a long period of time a plant has the ability to take up what it needs and leaves the rest. It is possible to use additional nutrients but the usual intent of mixing a super soil is to avoid the need for additional nutrients. In fact it is not really nutrients that you would want to add but additives like bloom enhancers or root tonics, but if your soil is mixed correctly with proper micro-life populations you they will not do much good. Again the purpose of mixing a super soil is so your plants have all they would ever need available to them without the addition of anything more than water.

As for ppm and pH these are somewhat irrelevant. There is absolutely no way to really understand or read ppm in soil, so don't bother trying. If your soil is mixed correctly the pH will be stable and you will not ever need to check it. However soil pH can absolutely change over a long period of time, but not in the time it takes to run one crop. pH issues will only arise if you intend to reuse the same soil over and over. But with the fresh addition of organic matter and lime the pH can be brought back into a stable range.
this is the non smart ass version.. good job Gun:woot:

masshole61

masshole61

Last years outdoor season i used subcools mix with some good bag seed . I used 15 gallon smart pots in a spot with @ 5.5 hours of direct sunlight and finished with some 6' shrubs of heavy colas. They could have a little longer but i was up against the frost.This year I'm using "the rev's mix" as detailed by slap14 in the " post your organic soil mix" thread. Much greater diversity of ammendments . If I do half as good as slap I'll be rediculously happy.
Adding Benny's like cap's with sea green and teas with mollasses are essential to feed the microbiological life in the soil which break down the soil for nutrient uptake.
This years crop... Alien grenades and so cal master kush.

Mogrow

Mogrow

Last years outdoor season i used subcools mix with some good bag seed . I used 15 gallon smart pots in a spot with @ 5.5 hours of direct sunlight and finished with some 6' shrubs of heavy colas. They could have a little longer but i was up against the frost.This year I'm using "the rev's mix" as detailed by slap14 in the " post your organic soil mix" thread. Much greater diversity of ammendments . If I do half as good as slap I'll be rediculously happy.
Adding Benny's like cap's with sea green and teas with mollasses are essential to feed the microbiological life in the soil which break down the soil for nutrient uptake.
This years crop... Alien grenades and so cal master kush.
bet those grenades blow up outside, i've grown them indoors and they are vigorous to say the least. actually i started them for an outdoor grow and switched them to indoors. put a bunch of compost and EWC in your mix masshole, you wouldn't regret it. and cut some trees down and get you some more light brother, the more the better in the sun department. best of luck on your grow.

chadkush

chadkush

This is some great info. I hear socal master kush is killer herb. Hopefully i can run across it some day. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom