So I’m cloning for the first time.

• Thread starter Macorn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Macorn

Macorn

Hey Everybody,

So I’ve taken cuttings for my first clones. Two Alaskan Purple and one Pink Kush. I bought a standard humidity dome and heating pad. Using a skylight in my kitchen for light.

what are some people’s suggestions on the best route to take? Tips for care? should I keep the heat pad on 100% of the time? Just add tap water? How long “should” this take.

I appreciate any comments, concerns, pointers.

cheers!

So im cloning for the first time
So im cloning for the first time 2
BigCube

BigCube

Heated seedling pads often overheat seedlings and clones. They sell thermostats for them.

If you leave it plugged in, put piece of corrugated cardboard between the pad and the flat. This knocks off the bulk of the heat.

I don't use heated mats anymore or seedling flats. I use solo cups and just put them in the floor of my veg tent. It's nice and warm in there, and if your light is too intense, you can just put them under the canopy of other plants.

It's not super vital, if you can keep your temperature above room temperature, and spray them every day, that's all you really need.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I do almost exactly like @BigCube said except for the solo cups. I use little jiffy pots at first so I can see the root babies popping out, then they go in 3 gal fabric. I never tried a mat just kept them off the floor and away from drafts. My only personal experience advice is I like 24/0 light for clones to minimize temp/rh fluctuations and keep things steady until they have established roots typically in 7 to 10 days

Macorn

Macorn

I do almost exactly like @BigCube said except for the solo cups. I use little jiffy pots at first so I can see the root babies popping out, then they go in 3 gal fabric. I never tried a mat just kept them off the floor and away from drafts. My only personal experience advice is I like 24/0 light for clones to minimize temp/rh fluctuations and keep things steady until they have established roots typically in 7 to 10 days

thanks for the feedback. I live in Western Canada so it’s getting quite cold at night already, so the mat is a must or it gets too dry/cold at night. I added the cardboard as per BigCubes suggestion.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
An ITC-308 is a cheap investment and let's you set temperature for stuff like heat mats, I'd look into it.
Also, next time I'd try rapid rooters, root riots or peat pucks instead of rockwool. Wool can be tricky and has a tendency to stay too wet.

I dont spray or mist my clones at all though. I really do not like putting wet foliage into a humidity dome... had too many trays mold on me in the distant past doing that. No more.

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

I live in western Canada and don't use a mat and have great success with those zippy pucks (soil grow). Keep them off the floor away from direct sunlight burp the containers once a day. Mine show roots in about 1.5 to 2 weeks Oh and DONT over water There are a some other things to consider but for starters that works. Your mat may speed up the root growth Make sure it doesn't get too warm

Macorn

Macorn

I live in western Canada and don't use a mat and have great success with those zippy pucks (soil grow). Keep them off the floor away from direct sunlight burp the containers once a day. Mine show roots in about 1.5 to 2 weeks Oh and DONT over water There are a some other things to consider but for starters that works. Your mat may speed up the root growth Make sure it doesn't get too warm

what exactly is the best method of watering? Right now I’m adding a bit of water to the tray floor in the mornings and just letting it get steamy inside.

blit98

blit98

I heard the light needs to be on 24 hours or is 18/6? better?

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

what exactly is the best method of watering? Right now I’m adding a bit of water to the tray floor in the mornings and just letting it get steamy inside.
Make sure your rockwool stays moist not wet. Just add enough if you need to re hydrate it you should not have to do this every day. I use a cheap LED grow light above it and leave it on 18/6 is good but requires timers and effort and all that shit

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Plants that are cut/cloned have no roots to move water. Thet get their water through the leaves/air. That's why we give them such high humidity 1, so they don't have to respire so much (which they happen to do more of during dark) hence the 24/0 light and 2, so the moisture is there if they need it.

Think about it, they dont have roots yet, what are you watering?

Just make sure the meduim doesn't dry out. If you have 95 to 100% rh it wont imo for at least a week or until rootss appear

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Heated seedling pads often overheat seedlings and clones. They sell thermostats for them.

If you leave it plugged in, put piece of corrugated cardboard between the pad and the flat. This knocks off the bulk of the heat.

I don't use heated mats anymore or seedling flats. I use solo cups and just put them in the floor of my veg tent. It's nice and warm in there, and if your light is too intense, you can just put them under the canopy of other plants.

It's not super vital, if you can keep your temperature above room temperature, and spray them every day, that's all you really need.
An ITC-308 is a cheap investment and let's you set temperature for stuff like heat mats, I'd look into it.
Also, next time I'd try rapid rooters, root riots or peat pucks instead of rockwool. Wool can be tricky and has a tendency to stay too wet.

I dont spray or mist my clones at all though. I really do not like putting wet foliage into a humidity dome... had too many trays mold on me in the distant past doing that. No more.

When do you fellas think is the best part of the light cycle to take clones?

Ill be cloning tomorrow so i could use some advice. Would be appreciated. I tried cloning a few and its been 18 days and no roots. I cloned before this i dont know what the deal is im very clean about things too...

I need advice on cloning ive not been very successful...LMFAO thanks guys... sorry if im bumping an old thread

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
When do you fellas thinkmis the best part of the light cycle to take clones?

I like to take them within an hr after lights come on or an hr befor they go out. I dont take them in the dark usually and dont like taking them while they are transpiring heavily mid day.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Where should my temp probe be? Inserted in soil or some other feasible means? Should i lay it on top of my plugs?

middleagedude

middleagedude

I use a humidity dome and a heat mat and clone in my veg tent. Take cuts, dip in clonex and then leave in dome for 10 days and they are rooted. I don’t mist at all. Dome temp/rh is around 70F at 70-85rh. That works well, but if it we’re summer, I wouldn’t use heat mat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom