So im a newbie and i need some help!

• Thread starter LivingTheDream
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LivingTheDream

Hello to all.... i am livingthedream, and i am new to this site. I have been lurking around for a few months now, and had to get in on the action. I am a first time grower, and need all the advice i can get. So here we are... I just started a few beans in a drip system under a 225watt T5 CFL. I have a 5x5 walk in closet that i want to turn into a flowering room. I have a decent budget to build on, so that really isnt the issue. I have been lurking and have seen some amazing grows on here. And it seems that some people know a lot more than others. Being a first timer, i dont want to over do it, but on the other side, i feel like its go big or go home. So i want to do it right. I have seen the amazing things that everyone is doing with DoubleD's MPB system, but like i said. I dont want to bite off more than i can chew. So i am open to suggestions as how to set up my 5x5 room. I was thinking Aircooled 1000hps . Smell is a big factor, so carbon scrubber is a for sure. What type of hydro system should i go with? Of course i want to get the most yeild i can in my room. Air conditioner? CO2? Sealed room? Chiller if i have to run a resivor inside my room?

Like i said... I need your help to make the most of what i have. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Hope someone can help guide me in the right direction!!

M

MJPassion

If this is your first grow I'd go with soil. Soil is a lot more forgiving than hydro since if ya screw upa hydro grow ya lost everything and soil will buffer the nutes. If you're a technical person go ahead and try the hydro but star small in case ya don't like it. I don't!

Probably the most important ingredient to get for growing great buds is ventilation, then lights. Most peeps will tell you it's the other way but I disagree because you cannot have too much ventilation but you can have too much lighting if you can't keep the temps down. ;) If money is no issue, get 2 600W setups rather than 1 1KW. You can move your light closer to your plants and the 600s are the most efficient HIDs, lumens/watt. The larger your carbon scrubber the better as well. Since slower moving air has more contact time with the activated carbon it will smell less. Get the biggest scrubber that you can fit in your space.

As far as feeding your plants goes the most important aspect is the water you are starting with. Nutes must be adjusted to your water or you will grow sub-par buds. I personally use RO (reverse osmosis) water. Your medium, if soil should be acidic, around 6.5 - 6.8 pH. If hydro, neutral pH is preferable.

CO2 will allow you to run a hot room while increasing your yields up to 50%.

Sealed room ONLY if using CO2, otherwise you must have intake and exhaust. My intake is passive, no intake fan, and my exhaust is a 6in can fan.

Here's a start, hope it helps... ;)

B

BlueWater

I'll second recommending starting with soil. Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. You're already taking an important step>> learn by doing. 'Automated' systems are great but they need skilled operators to run well. Become a skilled operator. Spend as much time as you can in your room. Try some different things/configurations, you'll settle in on one that works for you. take notes.

On smell, definitely get a carbon filter. You can also add an odorsok(get the right size) and slip it right inside your filter so it's snug, connect it to the inside of the filter's flange. It takes a little rigging, and some extra duct connected.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
You might want to check out the Growroom and Setup Forum as well at this one. Most of the people offering help there know what they're talking about. I'd give them your 5 x5 dimention and let them advise you which way to begin...personally, I'd start off with soil first time out like MJpassion said.

In additon, I'd hold on to my duckets ($$) and gradually spend on items that you're confident using first time out (irrespective of bank roll) ..you can always jump into more expensive growing operations once you've run a few crops. When you think about it, there's probably only so much you can do with 25 square feet...but there's still fun to be had.

Peace

D

dooobster

I will third the motion for starting out in soil. Throw a few beans in the dirt and see what they do... Use your first grow to practice dialing in the environment. Get your temps right (hovering in the low 70's with lights on), get your odor control in place. You'll want a nice strong exhaust fan at the top to pull out the hot air/odor, and a couple small holes at the bottom to let the fresh air in. Some small oscillating fans inside to keep the air circulating.
If you do these things, your first grow will be sufficiently successful and you will be addicted to growing. From there you'll only get better :)

L

LEBDOG

3 Major Hints for Newbie

-USE 1/4 the amount of manufacturer recommended nutrients for your first grow.

-Do not start with clones or you will probably get mites. If you must start with clones, check them very carefully and dip them in neem oil. Don't worry about the neem oil for clones, it won't effect the final results at all if this is the only dip you give them. It's just not worth it to work so hard and lose everything. Most newbie's get mites...

-Make sure your environment is as perfect as you can.

Everyone here will help you with the rest, but these 3 things are of paramount importance to your successful grow!

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I just want to say that peoples biggest disapointment is going through a big grow for the first tiem and messin it up. I sugest you start small first. Get used to the way marijuana grows. It's better to mess up one or two plants than a whole room of them. Once you've got your first successful grow out of the way, then build on it. If you start out with something liek a 400 watter, you can grow about 4 really nice plants under there. Start out in soil or soiless liek promix. It's much more forgiving than hydro, and much easier to corect if something goes wrong. Get used to PHing your water ans stuff. It's just a sugestion. Everybody wants to grow big right off the bat, but growing pot is trial and error. What works for one strand might not work for another. Anyway, what ever you decide, you came to the right place. There are alot of really good growers hanging around here. Just remember you can ask 5 growers the same question and get 5 different answers. So make sure to do your research and decide which is the right method for you. Anyway good luck to you!

L

LivingTheDream

Hey Guys! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help out the new guy. This site continues to amaze me. Everyone here is very helpful and open with tips and info.

I jumped the gun on everyones advice on soil. I had allready bought a botanicare drip system before everyone suggested soil. I started a grow diary.

I have allready experienced a few troubles here and there, but i guess thats part of being a beginner. Things seem to be doing pretty well this last week. So hopefully with everyones help, things will continue. Please come and check out my grow log. I would love everyones input!! Thanks Again!!

LTD

L

LEBDOG

Just remember you can ask 5 growers the same question and get 5 different answers. So make sure to do your research and decide which is the right method for you. Anyway good luck to you!

This is so true, I read just about everything looking for leading indicators. Most people really mean well though, and this is about the best place I have found online. Seeders take it a little easier than clone only guys, in my opinion.

L

LivingTheDream

Thanks LEBDOG! So far, the farm has been really good to me. But just like anything. Everyone has a different opinion on what to do, no matter what the subject. As i have found, these forums have so much knowledge if you take the time to look around and read a little...then pick and choose what you feel best suits your situation!

Top Bottom