So The Diy Undercurrent Begins

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

My old one took 30 gallons at 5 gallons and these are 12 gallons but leave less room to the bottom of the cup. It will roughly be 2 times to 2.5 times as much water.

H

heisen

15x8 is 120 gallons,you could run 30 4 gallon buckets with the same amount of water

S

Shawnery

I meant 5 gallons per tote so it would be 40 extra gallons total for the system.

S

Shawnery

I'm saying it's that much more than my last run not that much more from zero.

H

heisen

12 froggen gallons, what is your issue heisen?
So 12 minus the 2 from the top is still 80 gallons plus another 10 for the res.thats 90 gallons,fill them bitches up and turn that 1/10 chiller on.

S

Shawnery

My nutes are super cheap, my water is not bad but my energy is what eats me alive at 500 per month.

S

Shawnery

Do you just not read anything!

1/4HP CHILLER!

YES, AROUND DOUBLE THE WATER I USED BEFORE, LIKE I ALREADY SAID, GIVE OR TAKE.

H

heisen

Do you just not read anything!

1/4HP CHILLER!

YES, AROUND DOUBLE THE WATER I USED BEFORE, LIKE I ALREADY SAID, GIVE OR TAKE.
You should a went with 4 gallons and upped the pipe size,insulated the buckets.your gonna have to insulate them totes or your gonna have major condensation issues,if you drop the humidity and temp to battle the high water temp the plants are gonna suffer.
Start a journal when it's all built,I'm gonna book mark it

S

Shawnery

Why would these condensate but not 5 gallon buckets? Serious question.

H

heisen

So your saying my 1/4hp chiller wont be enough?
It will but with a 78 to 80 degree ambient temp its gonna be working overtime with anything over 70 gallons and no insulation.
If your not getting condensation on 68 degree water your dewpoint and humidity level is fuked up.plants thrive on environment.
My plants flourish in turbo mode when my totes sweat.when the totes are dry they slow down and I get taco leaves.all this shit is important man if you really wanna fine tune your rdwc setup to get the most from it.i insulate my buckets anymore so they cant sweat but they will if your room is dialed in.

H

heisen

And I dont gove a rat's ass what the manufacturer says on those chillers.you can shave off 30 percent in reality.the 1/4 will cool 120 gallons but will run 45 min our of an hour and increase heat and pull 600 watts from the wall with the compressor on.bank on it.i run 4 1/4 hp chillers

S

Shawnery

This is what I run and paid 200.00 for it. Says it should be good for about double the amount of water I'll be running.

S

Shawnery

Craigslist and only a year old in perfect shape. I live in a rich people zone where you can often find great less used deals.

H

heisen

Did you read this part lol,
10 degree cooling up to 260 gallons. 20 degree cooling up to 130 gallons. 30 degree cooling up to 90 gallons. Note: These temperature pull-down ratings are in ideal situations. We highly recommend purchasing a chiller one size larger than the specifications would lead you to believe is necessary.

H

heisen

That's without factoring in insulation on your totes and ambient room temp in a grow room.

H

heisen

Rdwc is my bread and butter bro.im telling u some good shit.ive made all kinds of mistakes I'm trying to keep u from making the same ones.

H

heisen

Seeing 3 foot plants in 12 gallon totes makes me cringe.im like wtf is going on here.if I was growing 8 foot trees in waterfall setups with a reef pump I would be in totes,but for our application it's all about efficiency.quick veg time to maximum yield per kw hr.
Grams per watt dont mean shit if you can grow 2 2 lb plants under a 1000 watt hps with a 2 month veg time.4 months at 1800 kilowatt hrs to get there brings your grams per watt way down in the long run.i can.pull 5 lbs with 1300 watts in 11 weeks.shit matters trust me.

S

Shawnery

I'm in agreement with insulation but based on the numbers you put it might be fine without but I am either way. My girls last grow before I insulted ran around 70 just using ice bottles twice a day.

Believe it or not I'm listening and I agree failure with uniseals is likely but we will see.

1/4hp in winter should be more than fine, it came on almost never with my 5 gallon setup but yes I agree it will be on more.

As for the size of the buckets yes their oversized but in the end that's just water and nutes. Couldn't be argued that more water per plant is always better?

It may not be perfect but I think you are being more than unfair by stating it's a step backwards from my current setup. Infact I believe it's about 40 steps forward to the cheap shot I was using.

Latest posts

Top Bottom