So what are peoples thoughts on autos?

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The_word

The_word

Hello, so, I have just come my 2nd indoor grow. The ladies are currently in day 4 of the drying process. And have seen massive success. My last two indoor grows have been sativa plants in Soil from seed. The seed supplier sent some dud seeds and offered me a pack of 10 of whatever seed I wanted. I chose a pack of auto gelato seeds, just to get a bit of variety in my seed stash. After honing my skills, with much help from this wonderful community, growing traditional plants and reaping the rewards, I am not sure weather to just stick to the formula or try the autos. What are peoples experiences that grow in a similar style to myself? I am a hobby grower so yeild isn't very important to me I am more after quality. @MIGrampaUSA @2Bad @growsiany words of wisdom? 😎🤞🤞

Have a great day, peace ✌️

Below: Some pics of my recent grow just before harvest. 1st 3 picks Franco's Lemon Cheese and rest Super Lemon Haze

So what are peoples thoughts on autos
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 2
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 3
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 4
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 5
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 6
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 7
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 8
So what are peoples thoughts on autos 9
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

^^^ Nice plant pictures ^^^

After running literally hundreds of photo-period plants, I'm on my very first autoflower grow. I'm in Michigan, land of schizophrenic weather. I woke up this morning and it's 37F outside with a daytime high in the low 70's. Autoflowers are great for the northern farmer hoping to get a complete grow in before the weather turns.

I started the first of April indoors under lights. I have 12 autoflowers in the greenhouse right now and another 12 I just started inside. I'm hoping with the early start and a bit of over-lap I'll get 24 small to medium size plants finished before fall.

My setup allows me to take pictures without leaving my computer ... here's a look at what I have going. On the left side are my garden veggies. I need to get them planted outside but with frost advisories still, I have held off. On the right are 12 autos ... most are entering heavy flower.

Screenshot 20230518 171534390

The plants are in 3 gallon fabric pots containing Roots Organic "Original" which has been amended a bit prior to use to make it more of a "water only" organic mix. The fabric pots are on AC Infinity self watering fabric pot bases. If you look in the lower left part of the photo, you'll see a basin with a plant riser in it and a couple pieces of wicking cord. I've got a dozen more ready DIY style. I paid $50 for a dozen of those basins, already had the plant risers and the wicking cord. The next 12 will be sitting on the DIY bases.

Here's what it looks like with the lights on at night.

Screenshot 20230517 214725353

The_word

The_word

I was thinking about growing some Thai basil in with my plants but I have a tiny setup and don't want to divert any space or light from my plants. Am going to take a month between now and my next grow so may use the tent for just that lol Something new to hyper focus on for a few weeks while I plan my next one. I couldn't have a camera in my rent as I would just stare at it all day and get nothing done lol

I have literally never seen or heard of self watering fabric pot bases. They look great. I grow in 11lit fabric pots and use organic nutrients. Can you send a link? Would like to look into it.

Are autos mainly for speed from seed to harvest or are there any other benefits/drawbacks? I am just thinking to keep doing what I am doing and get better at caring for traditional plants for a couple of grows more then experimenting with autos ect. Just feels like mixing up the game when I have just got the hang of it.

On my 1st grow the plants were beautiful, I made a rookie error and didn't take stretch into account. The plants got too tall and was was too nervous to take any drastic measures. The started to self pollinate. I cut them just in time, was a nice flavour, smell and density but the strength wasn't there. (The pic is one of 3 the same size in a 1mx1m tent lol) got like half a kilo of the stuff in the end.

20221012 130223
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I was thinking about growing some Thai basil in with my plants but I have a tiny setup and don't want to divert any space or light from my plants. Am going to take a month between now and my next grow so may use the tent for just that lol Something new to hyper focus on for a few weeks while I plan my next one. I couldn't have a camera in my rent as I would just stare at it all day and get nothing done lol

I have literally never seen or heard of self watering fabric pot bases. They look great. I grow in 11lit fabric pots and use organic nutrients. Can you send a link? Would like to look into it.

Are autos mainly for speed from seed to harvest or are there any other benefits/drawbacks? I am just thinking to keep doing what I am doing and get better at caring for traditional plants for a couple of grows more then experimenting with autos ect. Just feels like mixing up the game when I have just got the hang of it.

On my 1st grow the plants were beautiful, I made a rookie error and didn't take stretch into account. The plants got too tall and was was too nervous to take any drastic measures. The started to self pollinate. I cut them just in time, was a nice flavour, smell and density but the strength wasn't there. (The pic is one of 3 the same size in a 1mx1m tent lol) got like half a kilo of the stuff in the end.

Autos are on a time clock set by their genetics. Not all are fast finishers but all finish sooner than their photoperiod cousins. 90 days from seed to harvest is common on some of these strains.
smokes like dandelions
I have no idea there ... this is my first run using them. So far I like how they grow. I have no idea how they taste ... yet.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Idk. It's a cannabis plant breed with a non cannabis plant. It's potency isn't as strong as I like.
Actually quite not true.

Ruderalis is a strain of cannabis and that's what they are being crossed with. What is true is ruderalis in the wild has virtually no thc present and therefore autos traditionally have not been very high in potency but that's changing too. Many autos are consistently delivering mid 20's thc % and some even a bit higher. All this is accomplished through selective breeding for desired traits and is still a "work in progress" that's improving every year.

I'm growing them because they are something different, easy to grow, and I'm tired of battling a Michigan fall. I also have plenty of primo smoke from previous photoperiod plant harvests ... If I am disappointed, no big deal. I shouldn't have any trouble giving it away. I know a lot of people who love free weed ... lol

Edit: Here's a link to the fabric pot bases https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482474208791&psc=1

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hello, so, I have just come my 2nd indoor grow. The ladies are currently in day 4 of the drying process. And have seen massive success. My last two indoor grows have been sativa plants in Soil from seed. The seed supplier sent some dud seeds and offered me a pack of 10 of whatever seed I wanted. I chose a pack of auto gelato seeds, just to get a bit of variety in my seed stash. After honing my skills, with much help from this wonderful community, growing traditional plants and reaping the rewards, I am not sure weather to just stick to the formula or try the autos. What are peoples experiences that grow in a similar style to myself? I am a hobby grower so yeild isn't very important to me I am more after quality. @MIGrampaUSA @2Bad @growsiany words of wisdom? 😎🤞🤞

Have a great day, peace ✌️

Below: Some pics of my recent grow just before harvest. 1st 3 picks Franco's Lemon Cheese and rest Super Lemon Haze
Hate them. I wonder if they're polluting the gene pool. Have I bought Auto-weed that was 15% but should have been 22%? I don't know. Is there going to be 2, 3% ruderalis working its way into many strains?

For me, I wanted to try a couple but then realized they're wasting space and don't fit with my program. However.....I'll try to find good ones, and I'll put them outdoors. We live in a northern climate and that's probably their best use.

But are those pictures you posted Autos?? If so that's about the best I've seen.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hate them. I wonder if they're polluting the gene pool. Have I bought Auto-weed that was 15% but should have been 22%? I don't know. Is there going to be 2, 3% ruderalis working its way into many strains?

For me, I wanted to try a couple but then realized they're wasting space and don't fit with my program. However.....I'll try to find good ones, and I'll put them outdoors. We live in a northern climate and that's probably their best use.

But are those pictures you posted Autos?? If so that's about the best I've seen.
The autos I have ... most were given to me by my son in law. I purchased some but the majority were on his dime ... I don't feel like I have much to lose. I have fought several losing battles with trying to finish photoperiods in a Michigan fall. Many early strains struggle to finish.

Indoors, its always photos. You can control all aspects of the grow and I already have a small list of favorite strains that are already tried and proven, and a good collection of unopened seeds that I haven't tried yet. lol

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Autos do pretty well, just can’t mess with them too much a little LST they seem fine with, but I’ve seen people top them, supercrop them, and still have good runs so 🤷‍♂️. I always just did LST on them when I ran them consistently these where under 2x 200w blurples

Some had buds comparable to the size of a spray paint can

CD0CC652 9118 423F 8B31 98756F6834C9
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

I find the strength of the smoke from auto is not quite as strong as photo but i have seen some nice auto flowers that Where huge

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I love autos when I’m in a time crunch and life is throwing curveballs, these are some herer autos I grew last year, crop kings. I was very surprised with the quality of the herb at the speed it grew. They turned into monsters fast, even put them in five gallon containers to give them all the room they wanted, they paid me back in full lol.

IMG 2448
IMG 2447
IMG 2446
IMG 2445
IMG 2444
IMG 2308
IMG 2307
IMG 2306
IMG 2304
IMG 2305
IMG 2303
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Competition? Nah homie, every strain, photo, auto or reg, all serve a purpose. I said I like them when I need a quick turn around, they also can produce some decent smoke. By no means as good as photo, but decent. Also, I’ve grown plenty of autos that “look” just as good if not better than a photo. I’m really not getting your obsession with your eyes bro, there’s more to it than that. You know, like a general good attitude In life. Look into that friend. Happy growing chief!

Top Bottom