So what Ec should I be feeding in coco?

• Thread starter SeymourGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Hello everyone. I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I will ask but it again... What Ec should I be feeding in coco? I've read hundreds of threads. They talk about chronic overfeeding at 1.1 Ec. Other's say they start seedlings at 1.2. I'm using GH maxi series, Cali magic when I think I need it and my 151 ppm tap. I've been growing in a 70/30 coco/ perilite mix. I've been in coco for almost 3 years now. I've had great time, and shitty ones. Thought I had it figured out with my last run. Did the exact same thing with clones of the same plant this run and it was a shit storm. 1.0 Ec in veg of maxi grow, 5.8 pH. Work up to 1.2 in flower with maxi bloom. Not enough? To much? Not enough Ca/Mg? Used to always add cal/mag, but with better ratios, I haven't always needed it. What does everyone say?

4SkateMafia20

4SkateMafia20

Hello everyone. I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I will ask but it again... What Ec should I be feeding in coco? I've read hundreds of threads. They talk about chronic overfeeding at 1.1 Ec. Other's say they start seedlings at 1.2. I'm using GH maxi series, Cali magic when I think I need it and my 151 ppm tap. I've been growing in a 70/30 coco/ perilite mix. I've been in coco for almost 3 years now. I've had great time, and shitty ones. Thought I had it figured out with my last run. Did the exact same thing with clones of the same plant this run and it was a shit storm. 1.0 Ec in veg of maxi grow, 5.8 pH. Work up to 1.2 in flower with maxi bloom. Not enough? To much? Not enough Ca/Mg? Used to always add cal/mag, but with better ratios, I haven't always needed it. What does everyone say?
I grow in coco and I'm currently at an EC of 2 @ mid/late flower.1.0/1.2 is fine for veg

Enforcer

Enforcer

I know this won’t be super helpful but it really is strain dependent. I’ve had plants show nutrient deficiencies at 1.2EC in veg and another get burnt leaf tips at 1.0EC in flower. Nothing changed except the strain. I run coco DTW with auto drippers. My recommendation is to start low (around 0.6 EC) and work your way up as needed. Find where she’s happy and keep notes. That way you can just start at that EC next time around and be good to go. My first run of any strain is never optimal and I’ve been doing this for years.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Thanks for the replys everyone. The Darling Nikki I'm running right now seems to be happy at about 1.0 Ec in veg. The ecsd I'm running also, is getting purple stems at an ec of 1.2 in veg. I think I'm going to jack up the Ec to about 1.3 and see how that does. What's everyone's opinion on cal/mag in coco? Absolutely necessary, or if your base water is close to 150 ppm, not really needed? I used to add it all the time, but, as I got closer to propper ratios for that particular growth stage, I feel it's not totally necessary. Maybe some of my issues though, are from not enough Ca, or Mg. I figured there's enough already in the maxi grow.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I try to use 1.2-1.3, little to no runoff, whole grow. Different size plants and not going to mix different nutes for each one and never seen a reason too.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I’ve been mixing my own salts lately and, the Ec usually falls around 2.2. Last run was one of the best I had except for a minor K deficiency around week 5. Still in coco DTW.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hannah feed schedule 001

Taurus

Taurus

I try to use 1.2-1.3, little to no runoff, whole grow. Different size plants and not going to mix different nutes for each one and never seen a reason too.
Absolutely, a lot of growers do it that way. I like to feed double that EC but allow a certain amount of runoff and I’ll flush once a week as well. If I were using any other nutrient id be doing it the way you do, it’s just that this nutrient allows me to feed heavily and the plants look great with no burn. I sent samples of my nuts to the lab and they said it was extremely well balanced

Madmax

Madmax

Answers will b as wide as the grand canyon ....Since i havnt gone over 1.2 ec in 4gals feeding once a day with good runoff have never had to flush last 2 grows and yields are great..

Taurus

Taurus

Answers will b as wide as the grand canyon ....Since i havnt gone over 1.2 ec in 4gals feeding once a day with good runoff have never had to flush last 2 grows and yields are great..
I’m using coco as well so it likes to rob my plants of nutrients so I gotta come in stronger that I’d like to. I’ve been getting some really quality buds from doing it this way. I love hearing other methods of success, rock on :)

8756F7BC 4513 45AF AA69 531DE000F132

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I’m using coco as well so it likes to rob my plants of nutrients so I gotta come in stronger that I’d like to. I’ve been getting some really quality buds from doing it this way. I love hearing other methods of success, rock on :)

View attachment 1204074
Nice! What nutrients are you using?

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

HGV Nutrients. Shits no joke , and the owner Ron is a mountain of knowledge and deals directly with his customers. Takes the guess work out of nutrients in my opinion. He is expanding now to keep up with the business he is getting. Well diserved
I’ve heard good things about HGV. Definitely going to give them a closer look.

Taurus

Taurus

Yea I heard about it from a well respected grower out here in Oregon who uses it for all of his recreational grows, and all his product is 🔥. He runs it like I do 3.0EC from clone to flush with no burn and it’s only a 2part which opened up an extra doser on my dosetron for enzymes for my weekly flushes. The only thing I struggle with is this darn brick coco. I drench it twice with 3.0 EC and I still get early deficiencies but after a week of normal feeding my plants green up and grow like crazy. I might try a coco/peat mix next run but I still might have to flush that too

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I stopped using bricks awhile back. Even with charging and buffering I would get deficiency and pH issues. Was using cyco 70/30 but that shit is expensive. Ran fox farms cultivation nation 70/30 coco/ perilite blend these past few runs. Got a few bags real cheap a couple months ago but, they came with a steady supply of fungus gnat larva lol!

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Yea I heard about it from a well respected grower out here in Oregon who uses it for all of his recreational grows, and all his product is 🔥. He runs it like I do 3.0EC from clone to flush with no burn and it’s only a 2part which opened up an extra doser on my dosetron for enzymes for my weekly flushes. The only thing I struggle with is this darn brick coco. I drench it twice with 3.0 EC and I still get early deficiencies but after a week of normal feeding my plants green up and grow like crazy. I might try a coco/peat mix next run but I still might have to flush that too
You wouldn’t happen to have the elemental ppm numbers for the HGV blend your running now? Would like to compare them to my current mix.

Taurus

Taurus

I stopped using bricks awhile back. Even with charging and buffering I would get deficiency and pH issues. Was using cyco 70/30 but that shit is expensive. Ran fox farms cultivation nation 70/30 coco/ perilite blend these past few runs. Got a few bags real cheap a couple months ago but, they came with a steady supply of fungus gnat larva lol!
Oh hell no :( that’s terrible! I’m gonna try bio 365 next run, heard VERY good things

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I know this won’t be super helpful but it really is strain dependent. I’ve had plants show nutrient deficiencies at 1.2EC in veg and another get burnt leaf tips at 1.0EC in flower. Nothing changed except the strain. I run coco DTW with auto drippers. My recommendation is to start low (around 0.6 EC) and work your way up as needed. Find where she’s happy and keep notes. That way you can just start at that EC next time around and be good to go. My first run of any strain is never optimal and I’ve been doing this for years.
Bingo; every strain is different. Furthermore; Every grow is different. Lighting intensity; RH; ventilation and temps are huge contributing factors in this relationship.... ie. how much the plant can consume. The ppm your using in one setup will be different in another.... That said; I've usually got my plants tolerating 1000 ppm long before I go into flowering mode.

Look at the plant; it's response to the concentration. Watch what your leaves are doing... What I've done in the past is bring it up to it's maximum; then back off by about 200 ppm... You can push things; no doubt; but when you hit a bump in the road your going to have a big fucking catastrophic disaster. So it's best to shoot under by a safe margin. There are other far safer methods than pushing raw nutrients.

Where I get bud density these days isn't in nutrient ppm; but in fortifying my fert regimes with nutrient stabilizers. Fluvics; humics; amino acids; trace vitamins and minerals; enzymes. I rarely push beyond 1000 ppm these days; even during the peak of flowering.

PXL 20220109 031957742

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom