So Who Foliar Feeds There Plants? With What? How Often?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I haven't foliar fed for at least 15 years but I'm starting again.
I have these options/I have
Rhizotonic
Sea Green
Saturator
CaMg
Molasses.
Should I get anything else?

Just wondering what are others growers using to foliar spray?
Are you seeing positive results?
How often do you foliar feed?
At what stage do you stop?
Do you foliar moms before cloning?
Do you use it on clones?
Or anything else worth sharing:)

Patanjali

Patanjali

You don't want to use any of those for foliar. I think the question is why are you foliar spraying, and what are the results you are looking for? My recommendations for some simple foliars would be the following:

Aloe Vera foliar - 1/4tsp 200x powder, or blend 1oz fresh, strain and spray. Micronutrients, secondary metabolites, PGR's & PGH's, etc

Kelp Foliar from Coot:
Take 1/4 cup of kelp meal and cover that with about 1/2 cup of water and let it completely re-hydrate. Once that is done then pour off any excess water and use that for a kelp meal tea.

Take the hydrated kelp meal and puree it as much as possible to make a kelp meal paste. You’ll want to do this in small batches and store in the refrigerator in the coldest place which is usually in a corner.

When you need to apply a kelp meal tea than add about 2 tsp. to 1 gallon of water, shake until it’s completely dispersed and this is a safe concentration for spraying the leaves and you would probably want to double that amount to apply to the soil.

And then there is a full range of IPM foliar sprays.

hth,

P-

Patanjali

Patanjali

And does this concern anyone about using Sea-90?

Sea90

Not to mention it has double the amount of mag compared to calcium. Not exactly Albrect ratios eh?

P-

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gosh, so.... every fertilizer one uses has to match Albrecht ratios? I'd better go tell all my plants!

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I agree @Patanjali, that much sodium is a no go for my garden. Didn't know about the high chlorine......

What you foliar feed solely depends on what the plants need.

I foliar:

Sea Shield
Rejuvenate
MicroPack
Humics
Aloe Vera
Coconut water
SST's
Compost tea's
and much more, depending on what the plants are asking for.

str8smokn

str8smokn

Can Aloe be used in a soil drench feeding mixed with the nutes? Sorry I'm new to the Aloe concept but I've seen pure form at Wally World for 9.00$.
So I'm interested. Or is it best to use in between feedings ,with just a good tea.
STR8

Patanjali

Patanjali

Per Coot, you don't want that one. The sodium benzonate is no bueno. Look for citric acid, ascorbic acid, or potassium sorbate.

I agree @Patanjali, that much sodium is a no go for my garden. Didn't know about the high chlorine......

What you foliar feed solely depends on what the plants need.

I foliar:

Sea Shield
Rejuvenate
MicroPack
Humics
Aloe Vera
Coconut water
SST's
Compost tea's
and much more, depending on what the plants are asking for.
For foliar, you don't want to use humic acid. Look for a fulvic acid - best one is probably bioag ful-power. The fulvic acid molecule is smaller than a humic acid molecule and will fit through the leaf stomata. SST's primary benefit are enzymes which are better applied to the soil (same with coconut water).

And I agree, the trace minerals are the only thing remotely appealing in the sea-90 and we should have all of those covered with a well built soil that utilizes kelp meal and rock dust.

Aloe will not react negatively with any products. If mixing with other nutes, I often cut it in half just to be safe. However I have used full strength many times, on large outdoor plants.

Not sure what you buy at wally world, but this has been the cheapest source I can find:
http://buildasoil.com/products/1-ounce-of-200x-aloe-vera-powder
This is substantially cheaper, especially when you get to the 1lb size:
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Aloe_Vera_Extract_200x_Organic_Puraloe/111

hth!

P-

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

This is substantially cheaper, especially when you get to the 1lb size:
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Aloe_Vera_Extract_200x_Organic_Puraloe/111
Nice!

I've been liking two sprays a week. One with ewc/kelp/alfalfa meal tea
The other with seagreen (0.5ml/gal)

Gonna nix the kelp in the tea a use clackamas coots recipe but with alfalfa meal tea (15g/l soaked in water for 60-72hrs) as the water for the final kelp dilution. This in place of the seagreen application, hard to know what exactly is in that stuff, and it's not omri.

Plants are loving this routine.

Anyone use calcium-25?

Last edited:
indicabush

indicabush

I keep a couple of Aloe Vera plants on hand for feeding’s and cloning purposes.

Can Aloe be used in a soil drench feeding mixed with the nutes? Sorry I'm new to the Aloe concept but I've seen pure form at Wally World for 9.00$.
So I'm interested. Or is it best to use in between feedings ,with just a good tea.
STR8

Aloe will not react negatively with any products. If mixing with other nutes, I often cut it in half just to be safe. However I have used full strength many times, on large outdoor plants.

Not sure what you buy at wally world, but this has been the cheapest source I can find:
http://buildasoil.com/products/1-ounce-of-200x-aloe-vera-powder

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

For foliar, you don't want to use humic acid. Look for a fulvic acid - best one is probably bioag ful-power. The fulvic acid molecule is smaller than a humic acid molecule and will fit through the leaf stomata. SST's primary benefit are enzymes which are better applied to the soil (same with coconut water).

P-

Thanks for the correction on humic vs fulvic. Bioag is the brand i use as well. The SST's do get mostly applied to the soil, however I don't want to forget the phylloplane.

Anyone use calcium-25?

Yes, it works very well. Kind of moved away from it with my new program, but I can attest it does wonders. Alternate sprays with that 15-1-1 fish stuff.....ummmmm.....drawing a blank, any help people? AHH!!!! Pure Protein Dry or Ocean Grown.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lots and lots of people swear by that product. Just not a fit in my garden atm with my soil tests. I am already high in sodium. Trace minerals are where that product makes it's money.
I get you, and you know that I haven't had anything tested, I've just been going by feel, which includes everything I grow. So when I observed what I did (and keep in mind I REALLY didn't think the Sea-90 would do shit) it really got my attention. How much Ca is in it, and why did two applications stop all blossom end rot, after I'd spent at least two years trying to get a handle on it? I couldn't tell you but I'm sure someone else could. Keep in mind, this is foliar application only.

I also use it pretty religiously in my aquaponic system, which is what I'm going to be focusing on moving forward. Because FISH! You should see how big my bluegill have gotten in just a few months! And more crawdaddies breedin', an' stuff an' thangs! I so love fish, I can't even begin to tell you.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nice!

I've been liking two sprays a week. One with ewc/kelp/alfalfa meal tea
The other with seagreen (0.5ml/gal)

Gonna nix the kelp in the tea a use clackamas coots recipe but with alfalfa meal tea (15g/l soaked in water for 60-72hrs) as the water for the final kelp dilution. This in place of the seagreen application, hard to know what exactly is in that stuff, and it's not omri.

Plants are loving this routine.

Anyone use calcium-25?
Sorry, I missed this. I do use it, but with extreme caution/care because it can burn if applied during sun-up.

CaCl is also used in canning, to keep veggies crisp, so if you're looking for a less expensive route you can use that, too. It doesn't have some of the other goodies Ca-25 has, but given what you're already using I don't know that you'd really miss it.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I get you, and you know that I haven't had anything tested, I've just been going by feel, which includes everything I grow. So when I observed what I did (and keep in mind I REALLY didn't think the Sea-90 would do shit) it really got my attention. How much Ca is in it, and why did two applications stop all blossom end rot, after I'd spent at least two years trying to get a handle on it? I couldn't tell you but I'm sure someone else could. Keep in mind, this is foliar application only.

I also use it pretty religiously in my aquaponic system, which is what I'm going to be focusing on moving forward. Because FISH! You should see how big my bluegill have gotten in just a few months! And more crawdaddies breedin', an' stuff an' thangs! I so love fish, I can't even begin to tell you.
@Seamaiden where you referring to BER on maters??? Cause I just cant seem to get a friggn handle on it with my heirlooms. Maybe we can take this off thread to not jack the OP's thread. PM me with your BER solution pleeeez

Latest posts

Top Bottom