Soak and paper towel method?

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickcin

Rickcin

I’m going to give up on direct planting into peat pellets and try the paper towel method and then plating directly into my 5 gallon pots with coco.

what temperature needs to be maintained when in the paper towels in a zip lock bag? Our house is never above 70band I’m wondering if this will be a problem and that I might need a heating mat or something? Thanks

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I’m going to give up on direct planting into peat pellets and try the paper towel method and then plating directly into my 5 gallon pots with coco.

what temperature needs to be maintained when in the paper towels in a zip lock bag? Our house is never above 70band I’m wondering if this will be a problem and that I might need a heating mat or something? Thanks
Bad idea. Just put the cubes in the ziplock bag then.
When I pop seeds I’ve used solo cups (coco) and cover w Saran Wrap. The light itself will heat up the coco in the cups if covered w Saran Wrap. I’ve also started in rockwool cubes in a dome. Both worked great.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Make sure there isn't ink on the towel or paper plate. I just use regular plates not paper as they dissolve over time. You won't need a heating mat.

Soak seeds in ro/distilled for 16hrs, tapping them after about 12 to make sure they sink. Once you see it cracked open your good for paper towel method. I fold them and put them in between a few thick layers of paper towels right inside a crease/fold. Put it on a disk plate and stack another on top of it. Make sure it's not dry anywhere on the paper towel. I put quite a bit of water in there but most don't. I just make sure the seed will be above the water level or above a spot of oversaturation.

No bags needed for my method. Once you have one in tap root place in medium with shell bairly visible... Eazy peazy. Will take 3-4 days max from dry seed to get a good taproot.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Bad idea. Just put the cubes in the ziplock bag then.
When I pop seeds I’ve used solo cups (coco) and cover w Saran Wrap. The light itself will heat up the coco in the cups if covered w Saran Wrap. I’ve also started in rockwool cubes in a dome. Both worked great.
I planted seeds directly into peat pods in a dome and not having great success this time since two of them never sprouted after 6 days! I broke open the peat pods and the seeds never sprouted or cracked open at all

Rickcin

Rickcin

I'm at 100% using a glass of water and the cabke box. Paper towel is fine. But putting seeds in water and walking away until you're ready is easy.
Yeah, that sounds good to me with the exception of the cable box, could I use a heating mat with a glass of water on top and guess it would need to be covered with a box to keep it dark❓

And, how long do the tails need to be before planting into the medium?

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah, that sounds good to me with the exception of the cable box, could I use a heating mat with a glass of water on top and guess it would need to be covered with a box to keep it dark❓

And, how long do the tails need to be before planting into the medium?
If you don't have a cable box as long as the water is in the 74 to 77 F range it's ideal. You can plant them as soon as they crack or I'd say up to 15 mm. 1 cm is ideal. I pick them up with a clean spoon and pour them tail down into their seedling medium. I use just packed promix in a Solo cup. Then lightly cover. With a small pinch only. When they pop out I help the seed shell halves come off.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

If you don't have a cable box as long as the water is in the 74 to 77 F range it's ideal. You can plant them as soon as they crack or I'd say up to 15 mm. 1 cm is ideal. I pick them up with a clean spoon and pour them tail down into their seedling medium. I use just packed promix in a Solo cup. Then lightly cover. With a small pinch only. When they pop out I help the seed shell halves come off.
Well documented that taking the seed coating off weakens the plant. Do not assist.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I planted seeds directly into peat pods in a dome and not having great success this time since two of them never sprouted after 6 days! I broke open the peat pods and the seeds never sprouted or cracked open at all
Heat and humidity.
heat and moistness. And being in a media that forced struggle to push up to light. Some seeds just take longer. Put the pellets in a zip lock bag in the dome. The paper towel method which I’ve done can creates weak stems and can stunt growth if not done perfectly.

Rickcin

Rickcin

What about carefully using plastic tweezers to plant the seed tail down or is the exact direction not important?

C2F

C2F

I soak for 12-16hrs then I put in paper towel and inside a storage container

Ponky

Ponky

What about carefully using plastic tweezers to plant the seed tail down or is the exact direction not important?
I have poor dexterity but yeah if you have the gentle hands of a surgeon. I have mallet hands :( sterile is important. Tail down helps. Sideways is ok. Upside down might slow it down.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Well documented that taking the seed coating off weakens the plant. Do not assist.
I have a seed that’s beginning to sprout and the actual shell has just pushed up above the soil. I’ve never seen this happen before?

Ponky

Ponky

I have a seed that’s beginning to sprout and the actual shell has just pushed up above the soil. I’ve never seen this happen before?
That's what you want. The little Helmet will fall of. Might have to gentle push on it if it stays on there for too long.

growsince79

growsince79

No heating pad needed. Cable box, hot water heater, or even top of the fridge is perfect. Last night I soaked seeds 4 hours then into paper towels. First one already popped in less than 12 hours.

Rickcin

Rickcin

No heating pad needed. Cable box, hot water heater, or even top of the fridge is perfect. Last night I soaked seeds 4 hours then into paper towels. First one already popped in less than 12 hours.
Your right! I did a few seeds in the basement in P Towels and they have tails after 24 hrs. How soon can I plant these and it would be good if they could go directly into their 5 gallon pots, is that okay❓❓❓

Latest posts

Top Bottom