Soak and paper towel method?

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i find soaking the seeds with h2o2 and water about 5-8% strength for about 10 hours, don’t matter if they sink or float, crack or not.
while soaking i’ll get a tiny shot glass solo cup, holes in bottom, i’ll fill with a promix with a bed of peat for the seed.. the peat i’ll let soak in the same peroxide mix in a different glass, till expanded, take off net and make a bed. 10 hours later give or take i’ll scoop out seed with spoon and place on bed and cover with more peat and promix.
put seed about an inch deep.
put in grow area with heating mat plugged into timer to come on when lights in and off when lights off to simulate nature..
hopefully i didn’t forget anything.. to this day this method has been 100% for me, some seeds up the next day but usually all up latest 5 days..
and this way you won’t touch the seed/sprout at all..
i’ve did all other methods and to me they all suck!..,

Rickcin

Rickcin

i find soaking the seeds with h2o2 and water about 5-8% strength for about 10 hours, don’t matter if they sink or float, crack or not.
while soaking i’ll get a tiny shot glass solo cup, holes in bottom, i’ll fill with a promix with a bed of peat for the seed.. the peat i’ll let soak in the same peroxide mix in a different glass, till expanded, take off net and make a bed. 10 hours later give or take i’ll scoop out seed with spoon and place on bed and cover with more peat and promix.
put seed about an inch deep.
put in grow area with heating mat plugged into timer to come on when lights in and off when lights off to simulate nature..
hopefully i didn’t forget anything.. to this day this method has been 100% for me, some seeds up the next day but usually all up latest 5 days..
and this way you won’t touch the seed/sprout at all..
i’ve did all other methods and to me they all suck!..,
Excellent, thank you!

Ponky

Ponky

I go from seed to ⅛th tray square pots. They grow in there until they're about 10 inches. Have nodes. Then they go into 5 gallon square pots to finish. My climate is well controlled and it works fine with my lights.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Just plant your seeds a bit deeper, and don't worry about turning the root down. It's the seedling's turning and pushing through the media that removes the seed coat. Plant too shallow and helmet head shows up.
Yes and it’s a work out that will benefit the plant for its beginning life.

mancorn

mancorn

If I don't the little leaves die. Literally just help it fall off. Don't remove it.
Hat head will happen when you plant the root facing down. If the root is facing up, it does a 180 and then sweeps the seed head up through the dirt which normally dislodges the casing. However once you get a big root then this isn’t a good idea, the root doesn’t seem to turn and will sometimes pot up. I just crack and drop in dirt with the barely visible root pointing up.

8AD0E16D BA3F 42F6 BE6C 547E0A189195

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Heat and humidity.

The paper towel method which I’ve done can creates weak stems and can stunt growth if not done perfectly.
Never heard of that happening ever. Sounds like something you might see on the fake news -copy and paste - regurgitated misinformation - internet weed sites. LOL
Paper towels ftw.

Ponky

Ponky

The one time I grew a seed upside down it grew into a U shaped stem that went back into the soil. Never grew and leaves. Didn't die. Was a horrible distorted monster. I played with nature and it put me in my place.

mancorn

mancorn

The one time I grew a seed upside down it grew into a U shaped stem that went back into the soil. Never grew and leaves. Didn't die. Was a horrible distorted monster. I played with nature and it put me in my place.
I’d guess the root was too long. When they get long they do all the twisting around (like some of these) and too late to plant up. Better imo to drop in dirt right after it cracks (normally when you get up in the morning

CB3276A1 004E 4D94 9A4B 9EEC293CC148

5BD6EC0C 182F 44A9 8D20 5482679EF6E3

growsince79

growsince79

I usually start twice as many as I need and plant them all at the same time 0-1/4 inch long. The late poppers get thrown away.

Rickcin

Rickcin

I usually start twice as many as I need and plant them all at the same time 0-1/4 inch long. The late poppers get thrown away.
That makes sense but I’ve read lots of conflicting instructions on how long the tails should be and how and when to plant them, from 1/8 inch long to 3/4 inches long and then directly into the 5 gallon pot. It’s like there’s unlimited techniques that growers claim are the best, it’s crazy!

on my very first grow, I just planted seeds into peat pellets in a dome under the lights on for 18 hrs and they grew just fine. Now I’m trying the paper towel tail and I’m skeptical as to which technique is simplistic and yields the best results. The more I read, the more conflicting information I come up with!

growsince79

growsince79

That makes sense but I’ve read lots of conflicting instructions on how long the tails should be and how and when to plant them, from 1/8 inch long to 3/4 inches long and then directly into the 5 gallon pot. It’s like there’s unlimited techniques that growers claim are the best, it’s crazy!

on my very first grow, I just planted seeds into peat pellets in a dome under the lights on for 18 hrs and they grew just fine. Now I’m trying the paper towel tail and I’m skeptical as to which technique is simplistic and yields the best results. The more I read, the more conflicting information I come up with!
Try a few ways and see for yourself what works for you. For me peat pellets suck. 1/8-3/4 is fine. Or just plant as soon as they pop. Doesn't matter. Proper container size matters a lot.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Try a few ways and see for yourself what works for you. For me peat pellets suck. 1/8-3/4 is fine. Or just plant as soon as they pop. Doesn't matter. Proper container size matters a lot.
Yeah, I guess your right since there’s no right or wrong way and I get it with the container size. Confusing is the root direction but as others have said, if it’s deep enough, it will turn and correct itself before appearing as a Helmet Head

mancorn

mancorn

Roots have special cells that have little granules that float around in them (like a snow cone), which tell the root which way is down. So when you leave a sprouted seed on a plate the root can’t go down and starts searching for a downward path by growing back and forth. This is a waste of time as you want your roots going deep, not growing side to side. It’s not really a big deal if the root is up or down (since it will quickly reorient). More important that it can go down and isn’t left on a flat plate for days searching around for the downward path.

Latest posts

Top Bottom