Soil anyone?

• Thread starter happyinmendo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

happyinmendo

Anyone run a bucket setup this way with soil? I've been wondering how comparable a light setup like this with a soil based program like my outdoor setup would do indoors. I know the parts breaking down and not costing anything being eliminated is a huge perk.

Anyone seen anything like this? I'm quite impressed with the close 40'' centers and small flowering height vs. yeild. I've never done anything like that using kbs and I'm very interested in this outcome with compost teas/ organic setup hand watered rather than all the fancy feeding stuff and costs.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

you can definitely grow organic soil trees with vertical lighting, but they will have to be vegged much longer than a tree in a mpb would to get anywhere near the same size or yield. i've got 2 year old mother plants in soil lit with vertical lighting and they're only slightly taller than my mpb plants that are 3 months old.

what makes the mpb system so effective is it provides optimal conditions for the plant through all stages of growth while delivering nutrients to the plant in the one of the most efficient manners possible.

A

antimatter

It works good in soil or coco but the veg time is the killer, and a lot of people will not give you an honest answer with veg time because there 2 month veg might be from a bushy 16" clone which is a hell of alot different then a freshly rooted clone that is just beginning to adjust to hid lights, and then there is the Co2 factor. I can tell you right now bushy 24"-30" plants after 6 weeks of veg in coco without Co2 will be going 5+ more weeks in veg for me before there big enough to flip at 1 plant a light (hopefully), i'll be raising it to 4 plants a light with multiple double stacked 1k's in a Coliseum style to cut down on the veg time.

L-Immortal

L-Immortal

Great question happy, I am running coco and have run Undercurrents in the past and there really is no competition when it comes to growth. The DWC game is in a whole other league, it really is mind boggling. You could get similar trees with a good 60 day veg but it takes patience. Growth and yield aside whether its coco,dwc,aero etc it will never ever have the same flavor as some rich composted soil. Some will argue but a true connoisseur knows the difference on the first hit every time.

T

TyKaycha

At first I was a little confused. I was like is he seriously thinking about using soil in a mpb system, then I realized you just meant using vertical lighting!!!

MPB is more than just vertical lighting. But yes you could use vertical lighting with soil and be successful but that topic is really for a different subforum. Maybe try a Lighting or Cultivation subforum.

O

OregonMeds

Sure you can and people have. It's slow like molasses and doesn't yield anything like what a system like this can.

If you want to yield well at all you need to finish in large containers with a large root mass, no 5 gallon buckets or 27 gallon bins you would need kiddie swimming pools full of the best soil mix with drainage or 55 gallon drums or something big.

One of Seemorebuds video's show a soil grow with vert lighting and trees in roll around large wooden bins, probably 40-55 gallons or more each. Go watch it on youtube if you don't want to buy them all to find it.

Notice the difference in the plants.

true grit

true grit

So my question is who is consistently breaking 1.5-2.0 lbs per bucket thus far? I'm stoked to start seeing the results of some you folks grows!!

FWIW, I ran 18g tubs of organic soil and vert lighting like this and some Hazey a hair short of a lb off one tree and several in the 10-12oz range. First run with any of them, so definitely think 1-1.5lbs per is very capable in a vert set up with large plants in soil.

I vegged mine for about 45-50 days from seed, so imagine my clones taking 30-45 days to veg to size and flower. Really not that much difference in veg time. I flowered mine about the same size i saw DD's flowering his. And they got just as big. With better training and working on a strain or two I could see great yields could be easy. So dialin in the environment woulda helped as well, so I imagine 1lb full organic plants a breeze with some strains. Could probably get it in 15g as well....

But one things for sure, the hydro and feeding straight to roots is gonna get bigger yields imo. I think it would tough to break 2lb mark per in soil, coco probably way easier....

H

happyinmendo

I think that in comparison I know many people who grow the same strains I grow and get a consistent 2-3#'s per plant. I even ran the same strains, same phenos and got double that after 3 seasons. So the difference in soil w/ chems with organic amendments and the later year of low ppm chems and high frequency compost teas produced results that are nothing short of amazing. The plants were able to grow at hydroponic rate of growth with very soft loose growth like high speed kbs growth.

I am VERY familiar with kbs, I was one of the first people to use a regenerative blower. I didn't like the thomas compressor idea so I looked at fish farms for answers.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone has done this and their personal experience with pot size more than anything. I feel like the wider the better up to the point where you are wider than your plant will grow.

The 45 gallon smart pots look like the ticket. Or even the 100 gallon pots since they are wider and not as tall.

It seems that is really the limitation in soil grows indoors, the guys with the garden beds seem to always get better results without limiting root space.

What are average yeilds in this system? I've had a hard time pinning down any 4# grows, as the headliner suggests.

true grit

true grit

So were these 2-3# in soil indoors? IMO running 45g smart pots to get 2-3# is a waste of soil and indoor. I would learn hydro by that point. 18g are the biggest I'd go and feel 1.5-2# dialed is capable. I hardly utilized all soil space in those containers and like i said still had numerous 3/4 lb plants even in 15 and 10g pots.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm gonna use HIM's thread to ask this question (because I can't find the answer anywhere else); What is MPB?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you. I'm still a little confused because sounds like it describes who's growing them. I had assumed it was an acronym describing a grow method, like E&F or DWC, that sort of thing.

L

Lost

The problem with soil is that it just takes too fugging long. With a MPB in in MPB home Vegging I can go from 18 inches to 5-6 feet in 2 weeks. I just did in 9 days actually. I did run from seed and had to cut a few down because they were male tho, hahahah. At 18 inches they were not showing sex, lesson learned..

Its also of light being lit from 3-4 sides. For the first day they are just like WTF??? but after a few days they go crazy. Just watch the lumen shock and if you have some spare nitrogen for the first week and a half of flower, add it!!

H

happyinmendo

Comparing seeds vs. clones is a whole different scenario though, that's not apples to apples.

The tap root on a seed would make very little branching and grow pretty straight upwards. Clones tend to grow outwards as well as up.

I do also believe that with compost teas vs. average soil grower just amending there will be totally different performance. I have seen sap samples and was terribly impressed with what I had been doing in years previous. Yes I was refering to outdoor sized plants. I will be doing similar things indoors though. I am positive. I have some strains in mind too.

Those plants were not vertical lighting, which is in part the most important part of this systems growth, maximizing wattage letting them branch out and grow like mad. I do believe that a 45 gallon pot will be completely filled with roots by the end of the grow, BUT more importantly will not be so root bound that it will suffer from necessity of water which is why I want to go so large. I want to water less frequently through most of the grow.

This will be fully organic testing. I will be measuring growth along the way and will be putting a program together for others to grow in a cheaper way for people to afford doing it with little time/ effort involved in maintenance. The only thing to maintenance will be the irrigation pump. One part. That's it. The lighting as well... relays. Those don't really break often though and I use paragon timers to control them, those haven't broken yet in 10 years I've been using them I still have the initial ones in use.

Top Bottom