Soil Blocking for Cannabis: tips?

• Thread starter BatmanPetersenc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BatmanPetersenc

Hello all. Quick question:

Is anyone using soil blocking to start seeds or clones? I've been doing it for my last few rounds and it seems like a great way to reduce on seed starting cubes, etc., and go straight into either my 2x4 indoor no-till or up pot as needed for an outdoor grow. (Pics below)

In an effort to refine my technique, does anyone have soil blocking tips, tricks, drawbacks, etc?

Soil blocking for cannabis tips 4

Soil blocking for cannabis tips 5

Soil blocking for cannabis tips 2

Soil blocking for cannabis tips 3

(Right to left: Tomatoes, peppers, cannabis tomatillos, chives, and a bunch of flowers.)

Soil blocking for cannabis tips

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I bought one of those fiskers soil block press things and that’s as far as I got with it! 😂 it was intended for the veggie garden stuff. I’ll probably never do anything other than solos when starting ganja plants.

B

BatmanPetersenc

geezus no,.. waaaay to wet,..
Yes that tray I think ended up over watered. Unfortunately, it was the one with my cannabis in it, and the whole tray suffered. Once transplanted into the 2x4, and a few nursery pots most have bounced back, thankfully. I started three more cannabis seeds just in case they didn't.

Out of curiosity, is that soil blocking specific advice, or just general? Thanks for the reply!

B

BatmanPetersenc

I bought one of those fiskers soil block press things and that’s as far as I got with it! 😂 it was intended for the veggie garden stuff. I’ll probably never do anything other than solos when starting ganja plants.
Yes, originally intended for veggies, but I figure why not for cannabis as well? Works great for the garden so far. Thanks for the reply!

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Hello all. Quick question:

Is anyone using soil blocking to start seeds or clones? I've been doing it for my last few rounds and it seems like a great way to reduce on seed starting cubes, etc., and go straight into either my 2x4 indoor no-till or up pot as needed for an outdoor grow. (Pics below)

In an effort to refine my technique, does anyone have soil blocking tips, tricks, drawbacks, etc?

View attachment 2145964

View attachment 2145965

View attachment 2145962

View attachment 2145963

(Right to left: Tomatoes, peppers, cannabis tomatillos, chives, and a bunch of flowers.)

View attachment 2145961
i just picked up a soil blocker but I think the cubes are way too compact for weed seeds, I try to make my mix as light and fluffy as possible for seedlings, the blocks are awesome for garden veggies though!, I would consider using it if I picked up the 3/4” cubed maker and then moved them up into the 2” cuber with 3/4” nibs

What was your mix you used for your soil?

IMG 2942
IMG 2943
figolus

figolus

I use light mix soil , directly in the pot of 1l, i dont use rootsriot or other cube , have u triyng mixed coco and soil ?

Last edited:
B

BatmanPetersenc

What was your mix you used for your soil?
It is an off the shelf mix, cut with a small amount of coco and about 30-40% perlite. I agree it seems too dense, like a fudgey brownie vs. a cakey brownie. My partner blocked these cubes, so I didn't have the control i have had in the past, and don't have great notes this time. Thanks for your comment!

yeah aerated medium is essential for cannabis seedling, will work but seem too compact to me as well.

Absolutely! I've got a bunch of perlite in there, though maybe not enough, and it doesn't really show in the pics. I agree, these were too compact, too dense. Thank you!

I use light mix soil , directly in the pot of 1l, i dont use rootsriot or other cube , have u triyng mixed coco and soil ?
Thank you for the reply. I've previously started in soil/paper pots, peat cubes, rockwool cubes (i think) and these soil blocks. No problema with germination in any of them, but this time the seedlings got stunted, i think from watering issues, likely compounded by these dense blocks. I also wonder if I missed my transplant window and they suffered.

I have started three more plants in less tightly pressed blocks, with about 50/50 perlite to soil ratio. Will see how they develop.

While I understand that nobody else using soil blocks for cannabis is likely a sign of it's effectiveness, I'm just curious if I can make it work well enough. Thanks for the feed back everyone!

H

HarryMannbach

I’m relatively new to cultivation (5 plants, 2 grows), so take anything I say with a grain of salt (or a mol of salt)…

But I recently started two seeds in soil ‘blocks’, and they couldn’t be happier. We were starting our veggie seedlings for the year in the grow tent, and those all go into blocks, so I figured “what the heck?”.

Granted, I didn’t use either our smaller blocker (as pictured by @Mikedin ), or the larger one that the smaller one is intended to “plug” in to (pun(?) intended), and just formed balls slightly larger than a fist, then squished the bottom down a bit. I don’t have the recipe we used off hand, but as it was too dense for our brassicas and eggplants to be happy, we didn’t keep the recipe close at hand. That said, the density wasn’t a problem for my two girls. But, we replanted the struggling veggies in premixed soil from Tilth (highly recommend checking them out, and they also have a cannabis specific soil) and that stuff blocks up beautifully!

Anyway i’ve added a glimpse at how the two ladies are holding up with blocking. Clearly it can workout just fine! I like that I can essentially pause photoperiod plants until the whole tent is free and ready for them.

Anyway, just my 200 cents! 😅

IMG 4651
IMG 4660
IMG 4686
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I’m relatively new to cultivation (5 plants, 2 grows), so take anything I say with a grain of salt (or a mol of salt)…

But I recently started two seeds in soil ‘blocks’, and they couldn’t be happier. We were starting our veggie seedlings for the year in the grow tent, and those all go into blocks, so I figured “what the heck?”.

Granted, I didn’t use either our smaller blocker (as pictured by @Mikedin ), or the larger one that the smaller one is intended to “plug” in to (pun(?) intended), and just formed balls slightly larger than a fist, then squished the bottom down a bit. I don’t have the recipe we used off hand, but as it was too dense for our brassicas and eggplants to be happy, we didn’t keep the recipe close at hand. That said, the density wasn’t a problem for my two girls. But, we replanted the struggling veggies in premixed soil from Tilth (highly recommend checking them out, and they also have a cannabis specific soil) and that stuff blocks up beautifully!

Anyway i’ve added a glimpse at how the two ladies are holding up with blocking. Clearly it can workout just fine! I like that I can essentially pause photoperiod plants until the whole tent is free and ready for them.

“root balls”😂👍🏻

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

you shouldn’t be misting your plants indoors,..

B

BatmanPetersenc

Absolutely, I've use the soil blocker for the last few rounds. It does work well enough. Thanks for the input!

H

HarryMannbach

you shouldn’t be misting your plants indoors,..
You should while they're in soil blocks.

Not after they're in pots/bags/hydro, granted. But soil blocks, along with just about any potted soil, should be drying out a bit between waterings. And given that soil blocks have a lot of peat in them --which is quite hydrophobic for a little bit when it dries out, before it becomes ultra-absorbent-- the misting provides a light layer of moisture that more readily re-wets the peat so that it can in turn more readily absorb the water at the bottom a blocking tray. On top of that, there is a veritable sh!tload of airflow in that tent. Think 4 fans for a 2'x4'x7' tent. So we're not concerned about fungal growth at this point. There's still way more airspace than greenspace in there. Seedlings, after all.

Not to over-explain, but I also don't want anyone coming across this to be under the false presumption that you shouldn't be misting your soil blocks, _regardless_ of what's growing in them. Granted, hemp/canna plants don't really need, or benefit from, soil blocking in particular... but it's also not a detriment in any way when done correctly. It's just a nice way to, if you're growing photos rather than autos, be able to hold their growth in the seedling/young plant stage if you happen to be an indoor grower who doesn't have a full space to dedicate to them for x weeks. Or if you're an outdoor grower who wants to get them started indoors while you await the arrival of a frost-free date, if your growing zone is beholden to them.

Top Bottom