Soil Food Web?

• Thread starter CollieMan760
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CollieMan760

CollieMan760

I read somewhere on one of seamaidens posts' about the soil food web. I dont know anything about it and would love some info.

Black Lab

Black Lab

Would a half-half mix of Promix HP and Vermifire soil still allow for a good soil web to develop? Promix is not soil but I thought about mixing it with soil to cut the cost down and give better drainage?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A partial food web, yes, but it's not well mineralized and minerals and other aggregate materials play a large role in how well the soil food web develops and works together. It's not just microbes, it includes many macrobes, but indoors acquisition of the complete suite could be problematic.

So, use beneficial microbes and maybe add some minerals for them, and off you go.

Black Lab

Black Lab

I should mix my own but the process is a little daunting and like the convenience of buying soil when needed. I had the Promix and Vermifire sitting around so I mixed it up and transplanted with it. I use Cap's bennies and my feed line up includes ACT, earth juice line, fish hydroslate, insect frass, sea green and neem meal at different times. Will this give me enough support through harvest?

surfguitar

surfguitar

Maybe black lab, no one can really tell you that. From the looks of it your plants should get everything they need to grow. You'll definietly set up some sort of soil food web but like SM says you need the amendmants in the soil so the microbes and such can break them down and create a true soil food web. This is how I understand it at least.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
BL, what you've listed is a good start, but I've never used a mix like that for throughout the season, I also like to include a lotta rock dusts. I contacted a cat early last year, can't remember the outfit, but he was supposed to be able to help me source local volcanic dust. Dude totally dropped the ball on me.

Top Bottom