Soil Ingredients

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

So I just found out what my mystery soil is made up of. Not that know how all this stuff works or interacts, but is this what you guys refer to as amended soil?

Soil/Coco Blend:
Coco & Coco Chips
Virgin & Aged Forest Material
Crushed Basalt
Sphagnum Peat Moss
Bat Guanos & Worm Castings
Fish Bone Meal & Feather Meal
Kelp Meal & Soybean Meal
Gypsum
Perlite
Dolomite
Leonardite
Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone
Compost created with: Cow, Horse, & Goat Manure; straw, wood chips, and biodynamic preparations including yarrow, chamomile, valerian. dandelion. and oak bark

4plant

4plant

Yeah that soil is amended with organic material. When your using organic mixes like this I would start the plants separately in 4” pots with 50% promix or coco and 50% that soil. Sometimes they can be hot for seedlings. I use to keep a 5 gallon bucket bubbling tap water to get the chlorine and stuff out before waterings so you don’t kill the micro biology. With a soil like that all you need to add is a veg Recipe tea as they get larger and a bloom recipe tea during heavy flowering. I also added microbes and sugars to keep the microbes happy every two weeks throughout the entire cycle.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So I just found out what my mystery soil is made up of. Not that know how all this stuff works or interacts, but is this what you guys refer to as amended soil?

Soil/Coco Blend:
Coco & Coco Chips
Virgin & Aged Forest Material
Crushed Basalt
Sphagnum Peat Moss
Bat Guanos & Worm Castings
Fish Bone Meal & Feather Meal
Kelp Meal & Soybean Meal
Gypsum
Perlite
Dolomite
Leonardite
Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone
Compost created with: Cow, Horse, & Goat Manure; straw, wood chips, and biodynamic preparations including yarrow, chamomile, valerian. dandelion. and oak bark
the short answer is yes.

Phylex

Phylex

Yeah that soil is amended with organic material. When your using organic mixes like this I would start the plants separately in 4” pots with 50% promix or coco and 50% that soil. Sometimes they can be hot for seedlings. I use to keep a 5 gallon bucket bubbling tap water to get the chlorine and stuff out before waterings so you don’t kill the micro biology. With a soil like that all you need to add is a veg Recipe tea as they get larger and a bloom recipe tea during heavy flowering. I also added microbes and sugars to keep the microbes happy every two weeks throughout the entire cycle.
Yeah, I was over zealous in the beginning and fed too soon. From what I learned, it shouldn't need any additional nutrients for the first 2-3 weeks. But it was my first indoor set up with all my new toys and nutrient line up. Rookie mistakes.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, I was over zealous in the beginning and fed too soon. From what I learned, it shouldn't need any additional nutrients for the first 2-3 weeks. But it was my first indoor set up with all my new toys and nutrient line up. Rookie mistakes.
live and learn brother. Mistakes are part of the learning process. Overfertilization is a very common error with newbies. You will now go into your next run with better results from what you've learned...…….. Good grow karma to you and your developing grow skillz :D

Phylex

Phylex

live and learn brother. Mistakes are part of the learning process. Overfertilization is a very common error with newbies. You will now go into your next run with better results from what you've learned...…….. Good grow karma to you and your developing grow skillz :D
Thanks brother. I appreciate the positive vibes and support. I'm really looking forward to the next grow considering how much I've learned from all of my mistakes. And I'm certain even more will be made, but in my opinion may just be the best way to learn.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks brother. I appreciate the positive vibes and support. I'm really looking forward to the next grow considering how much I've learned from all of my mistakes. And I'm certain even more will be made, but in my opinion may just be the best way to learn.
you just nailed it with that perspective and attitude. And your welcome. :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I would be weary of the smells and tastes associated with them. Using it in flower may not be a wise choice, but why not veg right?
All preventative measures should be used in veg only. The reason I say this is based on the fact that the grower is using a solid IPM and is doing his or her due diligence in preventing the pests from getting in in the 1st place.

If you run good upfront soil drenches and foliar controls in veg the likelihood of being plagued by pests will be kept to a minimum.

Solid housekeeping and cleanliness is the 1st and most important measure in keeping a problem free grow as far as pests are concerned. Don't underestimate the power of regular soil drenches and foliar measures to allow you to reach the finish line in flower without a major infestation. Said it a million times, prevention is worth a pound o budzzzzz.

2nd measure is stop showing off your grows to buddies and friends. Pest can and do hitchhike into your grow space on other people and even pets. Especially if your pets are outside a lot. Also helps as temps start to warm to be vigilante of your windows and doors in the home. Every time to open a door or screen is an invitation to insects and flyers to enter the home. Be wary of store bought home depot and other nursery plants brought into your home as they are notorious for having many species of white fly and thrips, mites etc. Any store brand soils are also suspect if they are stored outside like a lot of garden centers do. The bags have ventilation holes in them and store bought soil can be infested already.

If you have been outside or in an outdoor garden or been visiting another's grow. Change clothes and shower before entering your own grow sanctum. Overkill you say, I think not.

I will say it again as some folks just don't get it, other than keeping the pests out to start with housekeeping is the most important part of being a responsible farmer, clean up all dead leaves, twigs, stems and spilled soil and other detritus from your grow space.
neglected cleaning duties is in my opinion the #1 leading cause of attracting problems into your grow.

Being diligent will allow you to have more problem and stress free grows without having to use any chemicals on your flowering cannabis.

Of course this is all said thinking that said growers have control over their grow space. But I also realize that some folks due to location and circumstances don't have full control over their space. But if your the grower I described that HAS control, there should never be a reason to use any chemicals on your flowering gals.

I haven't had any major issues in flower for years. Knocks on wood to ward of the jinx gremlins.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

All preventative measures should be used in veg only. The reason I say this is based on the fact that the grower is using a solid IPM and is doing his or her due diligence in preventing the pests from getting in in the 1st place.

If you run good upfront soil drenches and foliar controls in veg the likelihood of being plagued by pests will be kept to a minimum.

Solid housekeeping and cleanliness is the 1st and most important measure in keeping a problem free grow as far as pests are concerned. Don't underestimate the power of regular soil drenches and foliar measures to allow you to reach the finish line in flower without a major infestation. Said it a million times, prevention is worth a pound o budzzzzz.

2nd measure is stop showing off your grows to buddies and friends. Pest can and do hitchhike into your grow space on other people and even pets. Especially if your pets are outside a lot. Also helps as temps start to warm to be vigilante of your windows and doors in the home. Every time to open a door or screen is an invitation to insects and flyers to enter the home. Be wary of store bought home depot and other nursery plants brought into your home as they are notorious for having many species of white fly and thrips, mites etc. Any store brand soils are also suspect if they are stored outside like a lot of garden centers do. The bags have ventilation holes in them and store bought soil can be infested already.

If you have been outside or in an outdoor garden or been visiting another's grow. Change clothes and shower before entering your own grow sanctum. Overkill you say, I think not.

I will say it again as some folks just don't get it, other than keeping the pests out to start with housekeeping is the most important part of being a responsible farmer, clean up all dead leaves, twigs, stems and spilled soil and other detritus from your grow space.
neglected cleaning duties is in my opinion the #1 leading cause of attracting problems into your grow.

Being diligent will allow you to have more problem and stress free grows without having to use any chemicals on your flowering cannabis.

Of course this is all said thinking that said growers have control over their grow space. But I also realize that some folks due to location and circumstances don't have full control over their space. But if your the grower I described that HAS control, there should never be a reason to use any chemicals on your flowering gals.

I haven't had any major issues in flower for years. Knocks on wood to ward of the jinx gremlins.
You the man!
Ya , my circumstances are complex. I usually use cocoand stay on It 2 a day for manual water. This time around I am going maintenance free as possible. A buddy of mine wants to start and I'm not allowrd in my house due to a new baby and such.
So I'm thinking irganic soil. First off I wanted to do a 2 month cook using Dolomite Lime and other ingredients, bone meals, etc.
But I wanna start asap using 50% coco 50% foxfarms. Then in 2 months time I will be right about transplant time where I would I would use Dr. Rosenthals layering method aling with mykos and ither measures I have learned in my 3 coco runs.
I am gonna have it at his house using a tent, is my 1000w hps gonna be too hot @ 78" off floor in flower withoyt sone serious lst.I guess that would be strain related and a diff topic but,
I found a decent recipe @ growweedeasy.com
Composted Super Soil Ingredients

Whatcha think?

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

IPM? INITIAL PREVENTATIVE MEASURES?
I like diametecous earth too

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You the man!
Ya , my circumstances are complex. I usually use cocoand stay on It 2 a day for manual water. This time around I am going maintenance free as possible. A buddy of mine wants to start and I'm not allowrd in my house due to a new baby and such.
So I'm thinking irganic soil. First off I wanted to do a 2 month cook using Dolomite Lime and other ingredients, bone meals, etc.
But I wanna start asap using 50% coco 50% foxfarms. Then in 2 months time I will be right about transplant time where I would I would use Dr. Rosenthals layering method aling with mykos and ither measures I have learned in my 3 coco runs.
I am gonna have it at his house using a tent, is my 1000w hps gonna be too hot @ 78" off floor in flower withoyt sone serious lst.I guess that would be strain related and a diff topic but,
I found a decent recipe @ growweedeasy.com
Composted Super Soil Ingredients

Whatcha think?
Looks good.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A good tool to keep on hand is Diatomaceous earth – also known as DE. It’s great for soil mixes you bring in from outside sources such as hydro shops or the store. You can mix it in with dry soil (not wet) and it’ll kill most of the harmful bugs and insects. I do this when I mix my soils. Then when you plant in your pots go ahead and give them a top layer of DE. Wait a couple days and then water them. It’s important to keep the DE dry. I like to mix it into the top inch or so of soil. It’ll take care of most insects including gnats, aphids, spider mites, etc before they become a problem.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
A good tool to keep on hand is Diatomaceous earth – also known as DE. It’s great for soil mixes you bring in from outside sources such as hydro shops or the store. You can mix it in with dry soil (not wet) and it’ll kill most of the harmful bugs and insects. I do this when I mix my soils. Then when you plant in your pots go ahead and give them a top layer of DE. Wait a couple days and then water them. It’s important to keep the DE dry. I like to mix it into the top inch or so of soil. It’ll take care of most insects including gnats, aphids, spider mites, etc before they become a problem.
you do use a particle mask when playin with that DE correct. Def dont want to inhale any of that stuff.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
you do use a particle mask when playin with that DE correct. Def dont want to inhale any of that stuff.

Not usually as typically I apply it in a well ventilated area but that’s a good idea. Should also use one when dealing with Perlite as well. The dust from either can be agitating to your lungs.

But great advice mentioning it. I should have stated that in my original reply.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
DE can actually over long term exposure cause silicosis in your lungs. Bare minimum would be a N95 rated dust cup. The dangers have been long known in the wine makers industy and is regulated with a respirable hazard regulation. Some regs even call for half mask respirators in the wine industry.

Respiratory Protection Program (WAC Chapter 296-842)
Respiratory Protection is widely used in the wine industry due to the potential exposure to hazardous chemicals via inhalation. These include diatomaceous earth (silica), carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide (SO2). A respiratory protection program has many elements to ensure worker health and safety when using this personal protective equipment against hazardous exposures. Program elements include:

1. Evaluation of airborne contaminates
  2. Written program
  3. Assigned program administrator
  4. Medical evaluation of participating workers
  5. Worker training
  6. Respiratory fit test
Airborne Contaminant Evaluation
Before you decide to use or require employees to use respirators, you need to evaluate the potential respiratory hazards in the winery and implement feasible exposure controls. Feasible controls could include eliminating the use of the hazardous chemicals, institute best practices to reduce the use of hazardous chemicals, enclose the operation, or the use of mechanical ventilation.

The airborne hazards that are often found in wineries, sulfur dioxide, diatomaceous earth (DE), and carbon dioxide are regulated by DOSH and each has a Permissible Exposure Limit or PEL. PELs are regulated exposure limits that are the legal minimum level to ensure employee health protection.

DOSH requires an exposure assessment and implementation of controls when airborne hazards exist. An exposure assessment consists of personal air monitoring conducted over a typical work shift with the employee performing daily tasks that include 'worse-case' scenario exposure activities. Work with an industrial hygiene consultant to do an exposure assessment. In the event that over exposures are documented, the consultant also can give you suggestions on exposure controls, suggested task redesign, mechanical ventilation, or other exposure control strategies.

Top Bottom