Soil integrity after flush to correct pH

• Thread starter Mugwort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mugwort

Mugwort

I flushed a clone yesterday and have concerns regarding the ability of the soil to sustain and deliver nutrients after the flush.

I had posted pics showing sick leaves last month accompanied by a narrative explaining the problem. Comfortablynumb responded that he thought it might be a manganese problem with a link to an article and indeed the pictures that accompanied the article looked exactly like my plant.

Anyway, figuring that soil pH around the roots was disallowing adequate uptake, I removed said plant to bathtub and flushed it with 10 gal of r/o water laced with 1/4 strength nutrients. I did this over about a 1 hour period and with 1 gallon at a time. Last gallon contained full strength nutrients (15cc of FF “Grow Big” and 5cc CalMag Plus). I also added 2.5 cc “Snow Storm Ultra” and 1/4 tsp of Element Nutrients “Myco+” to the last gallon. Initial check of runoff pH was 5.4 and 2200 ppm. Last check before adding the last gallon of full nutrients showed pH had risen to 6.1 and ppm had gone down to 840. I checked pH of the last full nute flush and it revealed a comfortable pH of 6.7.

I use 7 gal fabric pots and most “flush” articles I have read recommend flushing with 3 TIMES the water as pot capacity meaning that I should’ve flushed with 21 gal of water. WOW...that seemed like a lot. When runoff pH read over 6... I decided to quit and finish with last full nute strength gallon.

I have probably over-described the problem although I’m at a loss as to why this problem occurred in the first place. Mother of this strain had no leaf problems and other two clones (albeit different strains) are healthy. This is only my 5th grow but if I’ve learned anything I’ve learned the importance of NOT OVERFEEDING! I use r/o H2O that pHs out of the tap at 6.67 and a ppm < 40!

Have I leached out important nutrients and minerals from the FFOF soil I use? I put the plant under 50% light and am getting ready to stick her back in tent under SCROG net! She looks great and never drooped or showed any signs of shock. Do I need to treat this plant differently other than being more vigilant for soil pH problems? I posted a pic of leaves that prompted flush!
Soil integrity after flush to correct ph
Soil integrity after flush to correct ph 2
Soil integrity after flush to correct ph 3

Latest posts

Top Bottom