Soil Mix Help Please..

• Thread starter schwab0619
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
schwab0619

schwab0619

I’m going from one gal smart pots to the final 5 gal smart pot. I usually do a mix of strawberry fields, ocean forest, and perlite.

Question is: Can I added coco if I need more substrate to fill my container? Is this a common practice? Someone with experience with this mix of please let me know. Thanks in advance

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Why bother or could be good? Experimenting with it will tell a tell. I’ve messed with coco before. Started in complete coco then slowly moved into ocean forest before flower. Was realy surprised with the results.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I mix coco and potting soils all the time. Have done it since the early 2000s. Works well. The coco makes the soil less dense and allows for more oxygen penetration to the roots. It also dillutes the nutrients in the potting soil so they aren’t as hot and helps younger less established plants from getting burned.

Add some Perlite if needed for additional drainage and you’ve got a solid foundation to work with that isn’t a hassle to prepare.

Give it a try.

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

If you're left with no other option coco will work fine if you need to add it to a mix to gain some volume.
The other alternative if you can't make some decent soil or can't buy some is I would recommend going and getting some organic top soil (Should be $2-$4 a bag) and some seed start ($3-6 a bag depending on the brand and place)mix that into your mix and it should give and nice medium and add to your volume a bit more as well.

Something I tried to get into and horribly failed at was micro-greens. I had some very fine perlite/coco mix called Root Organics Micro Green starting mix left over so I have been using that in my soil mix this year and my plants are actually loving the consistency of the soil that it produces.

schwab0619

schwab0619

I mix coco and potting soils all the time. Have done it since the early 2000s. Works well. The coco makes the soil less dense and allows for more oxygen penetration to the roots. It also dillutes the nutrients in the potting soil so they aren’t as hot and helps younger less established plants from getting burned.

Add some Perlite if needed for additional drainage and you’ve got a solid foundation to work with that isn’t a hassle to prepare.

Give it a try.
I did it. 20/20/30/30
Coco
Perlite
Strawberry fields
Ocean Forest

Let’s see if it work..

Latest posts

Top Bottom