Soil Mixes W/ Soil Tests

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

In the hopes of learning from others and to better our/my understanding of soil mixes and ratios of amendments, I want to make a thread where people can post their soil mix along with the results of a soil test done at a University. I don't know how many people have tested their soil, but I would like to increase number if I can with this thread. Testing will cost you around $15-$30 per test depending on what is being tested and obviously where its done. The test I did was done just after mixing my soil and will be followed up with a full biology and repeat test at harvest along with a photo of a finished flower.
My hope is that other farmers here will do the same with their mixes to give us all a better view of the world of soil chemistry and biology and how to manipulate it best for the plants benefit.
So here it goes: Hope this thread isn't a complete dud.

17 gallons botanicare coir (+5 gallons water to hydrate block)
2.5 gallons Earth Worm Castings
5 gallons sphagnum peat moss
5 gallons rice hulls
4 cups gypsum
4 cups rock phosphate
4 cups menefee humates
3 cups crab meal
3 cups kelp meal
2 cups sea-90
1 ½ cup soybean meal
1 ½ cup bone char
1 ½ cups dolomitic lime
2.5 lbs zeolites
2 cups food grade Diatomaceous Earth
2 cups pine wood shavings

View attachment SoilTest.pdf
Homesteader

Homesteader

Thanks underthesun! This is my first run with Sea-90 as an azomite replacement and I should have flushed the soil before the test to get a better idea of the sodium levels. Sodium levels are sky high and in desperate need of a flush at the start. I may be turning back to azomite in the future to try the same test again with it.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Second Batch same base (Added Oyster flour, Increased Bone meal 1/2 cup, Increased Lime 1/2 cup, Switched Sea-90 to azomite, decreased gypsum 2 cups, decreased rock phosphate 1 1/2 cups)
Soil test sent and will post when returned.

17 gallons botanicare coir (+5 gallons water to hydrate block)
2.5 gallons Earth Worm Castings
5 gallons sphagnum peat moss
5 gallons rice hulls
2 cups gypsum
2.5 cups rock phosphate
4 cups menefee humates
3 cups crab meal
3 cups kelp meal
2 cups Azomite
2 cups soybean meal
2 cups bone char
2 cups dolomitic lime
2.5 lbs zeolites
2 cups food grade Diatomaceous Earth
2 cups pine wood shavings
3 Cups Oyster shell

Dunge

Dunge

My browser is not letting me see the soil report.
Is it me or the file?

I like this idea as my primary objection to soil testing is how to get a representative sample.
Testing a freshly blended soil would help with this.

FYI my soil is a blend of only six bags of stuff.

S

slap14

@Homesteader

I don't know if it's just me but I find that the dolomite makes my soil real crusty, and my girls seem to like my mix without it better than with it. I'm sure it's the Ca/Mg ratio that does this (at least that's what it seems to be). This is especially true when recycling the soil.

I keep meaning to send out for a test at Logan Labs but always find that time just gets away from me. Your mix looks like it'll make some girls very happy.

Looking forward to seeing some grows in it.

This is my ROLS mix that I'm using right now and really like it, but always looking for new ideas

Soil – EB STONE 420 MIX 1.5 Cubic Feet
Compost – WORM .25 Cubic Feet
Compost – LOBSTER .25 Cubic Feet
Alaskan Humus - KIS .5 Cubic Feet
Compost – FUNGAL KIS .125 Cubic Feet
Coco - CocoGro 1.5 Cubic Feet
Soil Aerator / Rice Hulls 1.5 Cubic Feet
Worm Castings 1 Cubic Feet
Buffalo Compost – Buffaloam .125 Cubic Feet
Soybean Meal 7 -1-2 – Down to Earth 3 Cups
Feather Meal 12-0-0 – Down to Earth 2.5 Cups
Fish Bone Meal 3-16-0 – Down to Earth 1 Cup
Crab Meal 4-3-0 – Down to Earth 1.5 Cups
Gypsum – Buildasoil 4 Cups
Oyster Shell Meal – Down to Earth 8 Cups
Azomite – Down to Earth 2.5 Cups
Humic Acid – Down to Earth 5 Cups
Alfalfa Meal 2-0-3 – Down to Earth 3 Cups
Greensand 0-0-3 – Down to Earth 2.5 Cups
Soft Rock Phosphate 0-5-0 1.5 Cups
Kelp Meal 1-0.1-2 – buildasoil 2.5 Cups
Bio-Live 5-4-2 – Down to Earth 2 Cups
Brix Blend Basalt – Buildasoil 6 Cups
Neem Cake - Buildasoil 2.5 Cups
Organic Rice 6 Cups

Slap

Homesteader

Homesteader

Hey @slap14
That has got to be one of the richest soils I have ever heard of. Wow! Seeds must try to jump into it.
The peat is the only reason I use dolomite lime but I haven't found the crust but Ill be on the look out. Good to know. Im going to slap some rice into my next mix:).

robomont

robomont

im currently using peat60%,perlite20%rabbit droppings,earth worm castings and feed with blackstrap.i dont bother with lime because water is a little hard.since its organic i dont worry with ph much anyways.rabbit pellets cover most of the bases anyways.

Homesteader

Homesteader

WHat is the PH of rabbit dropping? It seems caustic as shit. You ever check it? Do you grow Bocking 13? My rabbits loved it and the roots tap down 10' and pickup many micronutes depending on what is available. Yarrow is a great source as well but not sure how tasty it is for them.

robomont

robomont

you know,i dont know,just a few years back i read an article that said it was the closest to perfect fertilizer.then the earthworms get into it and compost it.so i get a good mush of stuff.i just reuse my soil and remix it with more mush each grow cycle.i read at another forum if you go completely organic,ph dont matter,and it seems to be so.plus the rabbits get rid of my stalks,so thats free feed .i use to fight ph.now i just go with the flow.

Homesteader

Homesteader

It is great for plants. My garden loves it at least. I was just curious just by the way it corrodes the wood in my cage.

robomont

robomont

my rabbit feed has alot of alfalfa in it but from an article i read,almost all weeds are toxic to rabbits,kale is the only plant they can eat in abundance.i accidentally killed one of my older rabbits last spring by feeding it the wrong plants.basically feed them hay or pellets,nothing else in large quantities.

robomont

robomont

i never knew that,ill look into it.ive just got one yearling female right now.plan to get her a buddy but not in a hurry,limited cage space.just use her for fertilizer factory.
i may have comfry on my place.if not ill buy some but i dont mind if it goes to seed,i live in a very thick jungle type place.

Homesteader

Homesteader

The Bocking 13 variety has been bred to have long taps, but some of the other Bocking Varieties may have longer. All it takes is one small crown from ebay or from someone selling it, and you can split it from there and within three years youll have free food from May-Nov at least for one bunny.

robomont

robomont

i didnt think of splitting,thankyou for the advice.yes once i buy something,i dont like to buy it again .but if it can be split then thats fine by me. is it hardy heat wise.drought tolerant?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Splitting is the only way to get the Bocking varieties because they don't go to seed. I was mistaken in saying it was #13 but instead #14 if you are looking for an all purpose (ie. plant fert too) The Bocking #4 is best for animal feed.
Here is a place in NC that seems legit
http://www.nantahala-farm.com/comfrey-root-s.shtml

Top Bottom