Soil PH keeps rising

• Thread starter The Newbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

The Newbie

So about 2 weeks ago I finally got myself a pH testing kit and tested my runoff pH, and it came out around 8. To try to fix that I took them outside and flushed them with water pH'd to 6 until the runoff was also coming out 6.

For the 2 weeks since then I've been feeding them with pH 6 water, but today I decided to test some runoff and again it's coming out between 7-8.

I'm using Fox Farms Happy Frog soil, and gave them a small amount of bat guano in their feed water (pH'd after I added the guano) twice in these 2 weeks.

Any ideas on why my runoff pH keeps shooting up?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nope, but I may have some ideas. Why are you focused on run-off pH? Is it broken? ;)

T

The Newbie

Well, I've read that you have to maintain a good root pH level to ensure your plants aren't being locked out of any nutrients, and the way I read to check your root pH was to compare your feed water pH with your runoff pH. They say a good root pH is around 6-6.5, so when I see something as high as 7 or 8 I figure there is something wrong.

That's why I thought I had to focus on my runoff pH, but maybe I don't?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Go back and read my post about the slurry method. It's the only way I've been able to solve my problems. I learned about that method going through a series of ag sites, not pot forums.

TrichCrazy

TrichCrazy

Could also be that the happy frog is amended with a ph buffer that is going to be much stronger then the ph of the water you are feeding. You are in a good range and no need to be concerned. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom