Soil PH What tester or test kit to get ?

• Thread starter jamesmost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

What tester or test kit to get ?
I use one I bought on Amazon. It's a colormetric type, meaning a few drops of liquid are added to a water sample and then the color is compared against a chart. It isn't extremely precise, but it works well enough for many purposes. The kit cost about $10. I used it to test my soil pH a few days ago. Here's what it looked like:

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I use one I bought on Amazon. It's a colormetric type, meaning a few drops of liquid are added to a water sample and then the color is compared against a chart. It isn't extremely precise, but it works well enough for many purposes. The kit cost about $10. I used it to test my soil pH a few days ago. Here's what it looked like:

View attachment 1325460
use this until youre able to purchase a bluelab pen.

J

jamesmost

The blue lab soil pen is 2x more $ then the water pen..

How does the Amazon $10 kit test soil?

J

jamesmost

View attachment 1325460
Don't see this one on Amazon?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I found that purchasing any pH meter, other than a Blue Lab, makes the amount I pay for a pH meter = cost of the "other" meter + cost of the Blue Lab I should have purchased in the first place.

It's rock solid, as long as you don't let it dry out.

2Bad

2Bad

The 10$ kit works just more work . Any ph pen over $70 should work tbh.

J

jamesmost

I use mostly hanna checkers for my reef tank, except for po4 then I use a more expensive milwaukee....

Any suggestions on a less expensive alternative to the blue lab...
$100 or <

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I use mostly hanna checkers for my reef tank, except for po4 then I use a more expensive milwaukee....

Any suggestions on a less expensive alternative to the blue lab...
$100 or <
Oakton is pretty good. It will take longer to do a reading, but you can get them for under $100.

I used to use one of these for work. Carried it in the field for years. I'm not pushing this company, but this is a similar model to the one I had. I'm sure the model I had is no longer made:

https://www.grainger.com/product/55...:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

Latest posts

Top Bottom