soil(soilless) container watering

• Thread starter endizm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

endizm

1. so i hear 15-20% run off is a must.....
-i alternate: nutrients, water, vermicompost tea.
=so my question:
does this mean 15-20% run off every time they drink, and is it true?
------------------------
2. i was told that every 5 gallons of soil, needs 1 gallon of water(feed,tea,etc.)
-i am setting up 15 gallon square pots and filling them w/ sunshine mix #4.
=so my question:
is this ratio correct, and if not what should it be?
------------------------
3. i was told several different things about flushing.... like flushing products, flushing run off amounts, and the length of the flushing period.....
- i have decided to flush for two weeks,
=so my question:
what are flushing products, and what kind of runoff should i be getting when i flush?

thnx a bunch!!!

C

CT Guy

endizm,

Look into the Blumat auto waterers if you're concerned about watering. 2-3 in a pot would take care of it for you and less stress over time.

I typically water every 3-4 days with my soil mix, as it doesn't hold a lot of water and the larger the root system, the more water it will need to support it. You can also pick up the plant when it's dry and when it's wet to get an idea of the difference in weight and when to water. Use a pulse watering method, meaning you water the plant a little bit, let that soak in, then water it some more until you eventually see water coming out the bottom. This will tell you that you've thoroughly drenched the media.

Lastly, there is absolutely no need to flush if you're using organics properly, as the purpose of the flushing is to remove excess salts from chemical grows. Not an issue in organics.

S

Shredder

My watering has evolved over time. I water heavy, ( a gallon for a 7 gallon pot) then in a day or three water light, (a quart) then again light then heavy again. i found my soil, drys from the top, (duh) and although the top 6 inches can be bone dry the bottom has plenty of water. So the light waterings are mostly just wetting the top half of the container's soil mix. I notice more growth after the heavier waterings and expect it is because I making more nutrients soluable and availble to the plants.

It is amazing how many times I have seen problems when folks are watering way too much and less often but still a problem watering too little. It's almost a art form. If i was having problems i would consider the auto systems mentioned for sure.

Oh and CT is right on flushing, it's been forever since i have flushed........shredder

V

Von

Well my method is a bit different and it is one I developed over time.

I will take a small amount of water and pour it in the container. I will let this saturate over a time period of 15 20 minutes and then take the larger amount of water and pour it into the container. If you notice it will take longer for the water to penetrate the soil surface and pass through the medium. This allows for more water to be absorbed and uses less water in the long run. It works really good with teas. this way most of your tea is absorbed and does not run oput the bottom. This is where people get the run off method......their water is running through a dry container instead of being absorbed by the medium thus the 15% run off method. With the method I use you will have about 1% and not much more.

And the only thing I flush is the toilet.

V

C

CT Guy

Well my method is a bit different and it is one I developed over time.

I will take a small amount of water and pour it in the container. I will let this saturate over a time period of 15 20 minutes and then take the larger amount of water and pour it into the container. If you notice it will take longer for the water to penetrate the soil surface and pass through the medium. This allows for more water to be absorbed and uses less water in the long run. It works really good with teas. this way most of your tea is absorbed and does not run oput the bottom. This is where people get the run off method......their water is running through a dry container instead of being absorbed by the medium thus the 15% run off method. With the method I use you will have about 1% and not much more.

And the only thing I flush is the toilet.

V

Well stated Von. I'll typically water 4-5 plants with the same gallon of water, rotating between plants, and getting more water as I run out. What you describe is an effective way of thoroughly soaking the media and reducing runoff. :)

S

Shredder

I flower in a homemade grow box that I have in my garage. It is basically the size of a phone booth. I grow in a scrog style, and I also have a bad back. So I have mounted transmission funnels on the inside walls, the funnels neck down to a 1 inch plastic tubes, the tube runs down the walls to each pot(4) then into a T, then it makes a loop around the plant, the loop and the T have drain holes drilled in them. Inside the funnels I have sink drain screens to catch any chunks in the tea. Then I go from funnel to funnel alternating water to each plant. When I water just a small amount to keep the surface wet, I use the old fashioned water can with a spout to reach under the screen and hit each plant. Or at times i just mist the surface of the soil. Like I said my watering has evolved.......leave to stoners to make something so simple, complicated.......shredder

jyip

jyip

interesting how people water their plants,,, good info!

I'll typically water 4-5 plants with the same gallon of water, rotating between plants, and getting more water as I run out. What you describe is an effective way of thoroughly soaking the media and reducing runoff.

i have been doina similiar watering to mine, usually going around to each plant one after he other to let them suck up the water as i give eacha lil , going around 3-4 times sometimes.... and that may be MY problem cuz i think i tend to overwater and be a prime candidate for the auto waters

R

RareDanknessRep

The best advice I've seen on watering came from an old Skunk article by the Rev - he suggested that you give your soil 10-20% of the total feed, wait a couple hours, then feed the rest. This allows the soil a chance to saturate evenly and-more importantly-lets the roots uptake more nutrients. (Think of it like chewing your food better, but for plants). Another good tip is to heat your water to about 60 F to prevent any shock to the roots - a seedling mat works great or submerge your watering container in a sink/bathtub full of hot water for 20 minutes.

1. so i hear 15-20% run off is a must.....
-i alternate: nutrients, water, vermicompost tea.
=so my question:
does this mean 15-20% run off every time they drink, and is it true?

Usually <10% runoff is what you're shooting for; any more than that and you're wasting a percentage of the nutes in your soil and a percentage of the nutes in your solution. As long as you have enough to pH test it (and it's in a happy range), you're OK. If it's 5.8-6.2 or 7-7.5, consider watering with your pH'd solution till your runoff is closer to the 6.3-6.8 range, but if it's WAY off, water to a MAXIMUM of 25% runoff.

2. i was told that every 5 gallons of soil, needs 1 gallon of water(feed,tea,etc.)
-i am setting up 15 gallon square pots and filling them w/ sunshine mix #4.
=so my question:
is this ratio correct, and if not what should it be?
This is never exact - it has to do with your exact soil composition, as well as relative humidity, room temp, etc. (all the things that contribute to how fast your plants' leaves are pumping and evaporating water).

The best bet is to measure your waterings a gallon at a time until they run-off - once you've got the amount, that'll work for that pot (but as the plant grows, you may have to up your watering frequency)

3. i was told several different things about flushing.... like flushing products, flushing run off amounts, and the length of the flushing period.....
- i have decided to flush for two weeks,
=so my question:
what are flushing products, and what kind of runoff should i be getting when i flush?

How you flush depends on how you grow. If you're growing in dirt/soilless mix, it depends on what nutrients you use. If you're true living organics, they say you don't have to flush at all. If you use bottled organics like me:

(Example is a 67-day flower cycle:)
Day 52: Feed water + 1 tbsp/gallon of organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses + 1/8 strength flower nutes
Day 55: Feed water + 1 tbsp/gallon of organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses
Day 58: Begin ph'd water flush - usual feeding amount
Day 59: Continue ph'd water flush - half usual feeding amount
Day 60: Continue ph'd water flush - half usual feeding amount
Day 61: Continue ph'd water flush - half usual feeding amount
Day 62: Allow to dry out
Day 63: Allow to dry out
Day 64: Allow to dry out
Day 65: Allow to dry out - shut off light 24 hours
Day 65: Allow to dry out - turn on light for 14 hours/shut off light for 10 hours
Day 66: Allow to dry out - shut off light for 24 hours
Day 67: Harvest!

If you use non-organics, flush at least two weeks with only ph'd water.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Smart pots seem to dry all around the outside and I imagine faster than a plastic pot. I find I need to water 5 gal pots every 36 hours max or I get wilting. Took a little getting used to since I've killed one or two over watering. I usually give a light watering wait a while then feed with a tea.

Top Bottom