Soil / tent have musty mildew smell

• Thread starter Phate008
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phate008

Phate008

I posted a 1-2 weeks ago. My plants felt stunted and my humidity was too low. I ended up watering more bringing it from 1 quart to about 2 - 2 1/2 quarts per plant. This brought my humidity back up to a good zone and the plants took off. They grew vigorously and then humidity took a turn in the other direction. The past couple days the humidity was at 62-64% and 70-75 degrees in the tent. I originally just had the pots sitting flat in trays, but I decided to buy pot elevators to keep them out of any run off and get better air circulation to the roots. I installed the pot elevators and gave them their first feeding top dressing of Dr Earth Bloom at week 7. 2 days later and I opened the tent to a musty smell. Today the smell was still there. The top of the soil was dry (pots light) and I watered again. Musty smell still there. Its not really effecting the plants yet, they all look nice and healthy. The smell is coming from the soil. I am guessing I need to treat the soil with something to kill mildew or transplant them. Also for sure should decrease the humidity with a dehumidifier. The smell is the same as when you accidentally leave a load in the laundry machine and you discover it the next day with that musty mildew smell. I planned on cloning these plants tomorrow and then flipping them to flower in about 5-6 days. What are my options? Advice or suggestions are welcome.

5 Plants in a 4x4 tent, growing in 5 gallon fabric pots with fox farm ocean forest soil. Watering every 3 days for the last couple weeks.

EDIT: Before lights out tonight I increased the fan speed on the exhaust to 8. I added 2 more fans. One small fan and 1 large dyson bladeless fan. I think the stagnant humid air and possibly over watering are the cause. Is there any way to kill mildew in soil. Should I replant with fresh soil? Clone all the branches and scrap these plants? Not sure what to do. These first 2 grows have not been easy for me.

Last edited:
AKgrow

AKgrow

Let them dry out, increase airflow under the canopy, lower humidity. Sounds like you are on the right track, read up on watering practices and keep learning from your grows. A picture?

Phate008

Phate008

I posted a pic of them from yesterday. Before the lights went out I noticed the healthiest/largest one was dropping a bit. Definitely think I was over watering. Probably should be waiting closer to 4-5 days with 5 gallon pots.

PXL 20211207 170528407
Phate008

Phate008

So I think it is only 2 plants having this issue. Definitely an over watering issue possibly beginning stages of root rot from what I have read. I would prefer not to have to take them out of the pot, cut off bad roots, and repot. I am going to wait 5-7 days and let the medium get bone dry. With the extra fans, better intake fan, and exhaust fan set to high I have managed to get my humidity down to 58%.

I say it's root rot not just because of the smell, but also because of the signs on 2 of the plants. On one plants the leaves are turning a pale green color. On the other the leaves are yellowing slightly and crunching up and wrinkling. The other 3 plants look great and have still been growing bigger by the day. I have probably been over watering since my last post on here. I have been giving them 2 quarts every 3 days like clock work. This may have been fine for the larger plants, but the smaller ones weren't drinking it fast enough. They are in 5 gallon pots so while it may have seemed dry on the surface, the bottom half was probably maintaining a lot of moisture. This combined with the lack of pot elevators may have made the bottom stay damp. I am not sure how well fabric pots release liquid. I used to never see runoff, but I was watering on this go until I saw a small amount of water coming out of the bottom.

Top Bottom