Soil vs. Hydro on Smelliness

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

Howdy all.

My friend has a notoriously odoriferous strain that he now grows in soil. When he used to grow in a small ebb-and-flow, the strain reeked during the whole flowering period. Now that he has switched to a (mostly-)organic soil mix, the strain barely smells at all until harvest/drying, but a jar of it will still smell up a whole house after drying. It smells a little bit right after waterings, but the smell quickly dissipates (it did not when he grew hydro). The only odor control he uses is a small ozone generator, set to go on for 30 minutes once every three hours.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? We've been curious about this for a while now...

S

ShorelineTex

Anyone? Someone here has got to have some opinion on smell differences between soil and hydro...

T

TheGanjaMan

Allright im pretty high but this is my thought. The plant has "poors" like our skin. When dialed in (perfect enviorment, perfect water/air ratio for roots ect.) it allows these "poors" to open or grow bigger allowing more uptake of water through roots, leafs, buds, stocks everywhere. Ever had a plant half eaten by something ...It STINKS. So im some kind of a way the plant is "breathing" meaning the air flowing past it is allowed deeper into its "tissue or skin" and is picking up dank smells. my 2 cents

winta

winta

ive noticed that most strains have more of a smell when grown in a hydro setup aswell but once its cured they have pretty much the same funk? its interesting

bud good

bud good

my clones in my aero cloner stunk pretty good sometimes better then the plants flowering in the soil sometimes i think the water / flushing of the roots tickled it and made its stinky alot of my odors started going away the more i recycled my soil

C

CALIPURP

wel here is my 2cents my buddy grows in hydro/rockwool slabs ive seen him do every thing from granddaddy to sour D ,casy jones harborside cuts chem cheese and all wound up smellin like dank in flowering but after the dry/cure it smelt like well green i guess for lack of better word on the other hand a friend doing the same strains in foxfarm soil&nutes has been for lack of a better word FIRE so there it is when i start my med grow i wanna try soil foxfarm probley anyone use all foxfarm in your grow same experience ??PEACE keep it green..

Top Bottom