Soil will not dry out need expert advice... again!!!

• Thread starter Frego
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frego

Frego

So with that media and dry time it tells me with that media you will benefit from taller and smaller pots for this size.

But they will grow into them. It's OK if the top is dry... not ideal but ok. The important part is to let the saturation zone dray back a bit before watering again. Then water slowly and evenly.
Thanksfor your input Aquaman

I will apply the slowly and evenly technique when they dry
Also next time around find different pots
Or look into fabric, each grower has there favourites... I need to find to find mine

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanksfor your input Aquaman

I will apply the slowly and evenly technique when they dry
Also next time around find different pots
Or look into fabric, each grower has there favourites... I need to find to find mine
No matter what you get you just need to water accordingly.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It is slowly drying in the mean time will water less

was following advice on ‘ How to water’ saturate the whole top... which I will not be doing again

my first grow only autos so 3-4 months will Have a. next shot at it

who knows this grow could right the history ‘you can grow weed in mud’

Watering the whole pot is the correct way to irrigate, the reason it is not working good for you is because you added manure to soil that already had poor drainage, making it even worse. If you use high quality soil with proper drainage, you will be better off watering the whole pot. You also have to take into account pot size relative to the plant. Seedlings should be in a solo cup, no larger than that. You pot up as they get bigger.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
wow. everyone tells you they look good, then they talk you into getting a new drill and drilling holes in the SIDE of the pot????

my first statement... have patience. the plant is 2 weeks old, it looks two weeks old, it is acting 2 weeks old... just sit there and wait on nature.

you can force things, but that causes other things.... or you can wait.

3 pages of how to toy with your plant and pot and buying and worrying... WAIT

if you need to feel useful during your waiting, READ, GOOGLE and READ some more.

it is an auto, the less you do to her the better. ANY of this silliness will just slow things and make her mad.

get her light, some air and WAIT.

for future, try some coco and you will have this need for control solved. you can tell her what to eat and when to eat and how much to eat. youll get to play with a ph pen and when people tell you to do crazy things it will be less crazy with coco. coco is more "instant feedback loop" so you wont have to wait for things

at the 2 week point, my autos might have gotten one watering. maybe. i start in a 5 gal pot and the initial watering is plenty to get the little girl into some rigorous growing.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

for future, try some coco and you will have this need for control solved. you can tell her what to eat and when to eat and how much to eat. youll get to play with a ph pen and when people tell you to do crazy things it will be less crazy with coco. coco is more "instant feedback loop" so you wont have to wait for things
I disagree. Hydro requires you to stay on top of every drop you feed the plant. A good organic grow worries about none of that. I don't think it gets any easier than real living soil.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I disagree. Hydro requires you to stay on top of every drop you feed the plant. A good organic grow worries about none of that. I don't think it gets any easier than real living soil.

disagree??? lol, that is exactly what i said.

i used coco as an example, but hydro too. any soilless as i said, allows the grower to do all the driving. this grower wants to control things, and soil is not that way. feed the soil not the plant.

Madbud

Madbud

Ok so View attachment 1145014dont know if this is a issue or not but I first planted them, then did research and joined this brilliant forum.
would I have done it differently... yes! The only difference is perlite in the mix

so as you can tell I didn’t mix perlite up to now no issues, till I took the advice and watered the whole of the top soil, In stead of my circle method around the base..

It’s in 1/4 manure
3/4 organic potting soil
Manure is really heavy so that’s probably storing all that water
Temps are usually 27c
RH was like 75 but I’m lowering it to maybe help dry soil out it’s at 65 at the minute View attachment 1145016 the pots feel heavy and it’s been 5 days up to now!! Up to half way the meter is reading green which is in the middle but when I hit the bottom it’s like off the charts

I’ve raised the pots from there dish but them on pebbles so there raised abit, added more holes
But I don’t think I’ll ever get my bottom soil dry( maybe till the roots drink it at the bottom)

any advice?
should I water as usual and only measure top half of soil?

there 2 weeks old now so really want to add cal mag and up the PPM
What should I do? There autoflower

PS next time I’ll add perlite
If you used Black Cow manure its like sludge, and the pH is in the low fives. Been there, done that.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

disagree??? lol, that is exactly what i said.

i used coco as an example, but hydro too. any soilless as i said, allows the grower to do all the driving. this grower wants to control things, and soil is not that way. feed the soil not the plant.
Sorry. I see it now. I skipped over that part because I missed the reference. Gotcha now.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
It’s a little late now, but I think you should have re-potted them. It’s not that big of a deal. And this shit is going to keep dogging you throughout the grow. Never had a problem t transplanting any size plant. Just another worthless opinion. Good luck

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
they are autos. it can be done, but at a risk. you wouldnt want to disrupt the roots so youd have to leave that dirt there anyway...

btw, what size pot is that?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It’s a little late now, but I think you should have re-potted them. It’s not that big of a deal. And this shit is going to keep dogging you throughout the grow. Never had a problem t transplanting any size plant. Just another worthless opinion. Good luck
Not all of us are capable of picking up a 9 foot tree man. At my age I wouldn't even attempt it. I've sat a desk way too many years.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Idk about you but that looks good. If you can pick that pot up with one arm like nothing then it needs water. But until then just wait. Also keep an eye on the leaves. If they are up then they are good. They will slowly droop down when they want water. So if it’s light and droopyish water. Also try coco and perlite with fabric pots and your manure. Might be worth a try.

Frego

Frego

If you used Black Cow manure its like sludge, and the pH is in the low fives. Been there, done that.
Yer 1/4 manure 3/4 organic potting soil

PH was about 6.0
Water is 6.5
Should the soil buffer

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

As the plants get bigger they will get down to the bottom and dry it out quicker so that problem may fix itself. Maybe find the sweet spot in how much water to use each time. Probably that soil is not one you would water until its flowing out the bottom, I would be much more conservative with the water. And you may need to weaken the nutrients. I'm away for two or three days then back for a few days. My soil gets bone dry in 3 days, leaves are dying. Two days is perfect. I think next time I need to add a little more moisture holding material (vermiculite maybe). Unless you grew up on your parents weed farm, your going to make tons of mistakes. Finishing up my first grow, I think the plants grew well without any real big problems, but I'm not satisfied with the high. Maybe its the genetics ?

GODNYC

GODNYC

Ok so View attachment 1145014dont know if this is a issue or not but I first planted them, then did research and joined this brilliant forum.
would I have done it differently... yes! The only difference is perlite in the mix

so as you can tell I didn’t mix perlite up to now no issues, till I took the advice and watered the whole of the top soil, In stead of my circle method around the base..

It’s in 1/4 manure
3/4 organic potting soil
Manure is really heavy so that’s probably storing all that water
Temps are usually 27c
RH was like 75 but I’m lowering it to maybe help dry soil out it’s at 65 at the minute View attachment 1145016 the pots feel heavy and it’s been 5 days up to now!! Up to half way the meter is reading green which is in the middle but when I hit the bottom it’s like off the charts

I’ve raised the pots from there dish but them on pebbles so there raised abit, added more holes
But I don’t think I’ll ever get my bottom soil dry( maybe till the roots drink it at the bottom)

any advice?
should I water as usual and only measure top half of soil?

there 2 weeks old now so really want to add cal mag and up the PPM
What should I do? There autoflower

PS next time I’ll add perlite
Did you purchase the organic soil or is it like backyard soil ? The temp and moisture of the environment also impacts how much water your soil retains also the break down of the actual soil also matters such as the percentage of clay and sand ratio differs, but that will only be an issue if your not purchasing soil.

they are too young to start giving them nutes and at this particular stage they don’t require a lot of water. If I where you I would be adding some root growth boost if anything.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

All dirt drys but if you do not have good drainage water can pool in the pot, this can allso cause root rot, if your running your plant in a high rh environment or are haveing temp and rh swings that can allso cause problems,

Frego

Frego

As the plants get bigger they will get down to the bottom and dry it out quicker so that problem may fix itself. Maybe find the sweet spot in how much water to use each time. Probably that soil is not one you would water until its flowing out the bottom, I would be much more conservative with the water. And you may need to weaken the nutrients. I'm away for two or three days then back for a few days. My soil gets bone dry in 3 days, leaves are dying. Two days is perfect. I think next time I need to add a little more moisture holding material (vermiculite maybe). Unless you grew up on your parents weed farm, your going to make tons of mistakes. Finishing up my first grow, I think the plants grew well without any real big problems, but I'm not satisfied with the high. Maybe its the genetics ?
Yeah I agree with the soil part maybe it is not one you would water to run off, I read articles to fully saturate the soil however I’ve no perlite so I will not be trying that again!
And yeas I thing that theory is right with growing roots however I don’t want to drown them
I just need to amend my water techniques but I’ve learnt my lesson now but my plants have not suffered, I’m seeing fresh new green growth
LST’D last night and they have bounced back up in the dark period

I drilled holes in the pots all in the saturation zone so hopefully the soil can breath 4SIZE drill bit hope it’s bigger enough

next grow perlite will
Be added I’m 2 weeks in maybe I’ve stunted there growth they have stretched due to my lights being higher up due to
Heat problems but I’ve a ACinfinity fan coming Friday can’t wait to see what that will do for exhaust but due to my room I have no inlet so balancing it all is really hard

and yes many far few years down the line my son will be a master grower
I don’t want to give up just learn and this is a great place to do that

Frego

Frego

And no extra perlite, its like aquaman said, you have to wait it out to water again.
I’m waiting brother
Day 6 now moisture needle is at green
Last night I too dressed
Biocarb water to higher PH but that just sat at the the top and didn’t effect it

Frego

Frego

All dirt drys but if you do not have good drainage water can pool in the pot, this can allso cause root rot, if your running your plant in a high rh environment or are haveing temp and rh swings that can allso cause problems,
I’ve no fresh air coming In
But 5 fans
And a ac Infinty fan coming Friday
To replace my budget whole kit exhaust fan
Both 6inch
But the infinity can move 400% more air then my budget which is 230%
Took @Aquamans advice on that one one of my older post and took the plunge
Hopefully it’s worth it

RH is ranging 70 I can adjust I’ve a good humidifier

it’s just temps is my concern like I said steering exhaust may help me?

Top Bottom