Solar: Getting Closer...

• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

GE Sees Solar-Panel Efficiency Topping 12.8% Record in 2013

By Christopher Martin - May 11, 2011 10:44 AM MT

General Electric Co. (GE), the largest supplier of wind turbines in the U.S., expects to exceed the 12.8 percent solar-efficiency record for thin-film modules when its first commercial-scale panel factory opens in 2013.

Improving solar-panel efficiency, or the amount of sunlight converted to electricity, would help reduce costs to about 10 cents to 15 cents a kilowatt-hour without subsidies, making it more competitive with fossil fuels, according to Victor Abate, who oversees solar, wind and renewable energy at Fairfield, Connecticut-based GE.

“Speed is the key here,” Abate said today at a conference in New York. The 12.8 percent efficiency that GE reached for its cadmium telluride panels last year is an industry record for thin-film technology, and “we’ll be higher than that” when the factory opens. “Fourteen percent to 15 percent is in the cards.”

GE plans to select a site for the factory in the second quarter and to announce the location in the third quarter, he said. It is considering Colorado and New York, where the company already employs hundreds of engineers.

First Solar Inc. (FSLR), the world’s biggest supplier of thin-film modules, also uses cadmium telluride and increased its efficiency to 11.7 percent in the first quarter from 11.1 percent a year earlier. The most common solar panels, mostly made in China, use a thicker layer of silicon and have efficiency ratings in the high teens.

GE slipped 20 cents to $20.10 at 12:26 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. First Solar, based in Tempe, Arizona, fell $1.61, or 2.1 percent, to $126.44 a share.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yup, that's all we need, is for the technology to advance. I still haven't received the call to put us on the schedule for the California Home Energy Retrofit program, I've gotta call that gal and light a fire under her butt.

R

RMCG

When it gets to be ON PAR with current kw costs (without subsidies) it may be worth the investment. Unfortunately, people would still be fence-sitting as tech ALWAYS gets better. Until the ROI is 18 months or less (or atleast faster than new tech advancements), its tough to invest 10-20k into 'dead' technology.

I wonder if that 10-15c kwh rate is for average joe homeowner installation or large solar arrays that still require a 'power company' for distribution?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, but here we have a program that we qualify for that is essentially free money (0% APR loan) in order to get this retrofitting done. If they ever get moving, that is.

It's funny that we're excited by an efficiency of just over 10%, ain't it?

R

RMCG

Ah, but here we have a program that we qualify for that is essentially free money (0% APR loan) in order to get this retrofitting done. If they ever get moving, that is.

It's funny that we're excited by an efficiency of just over 10%, ain't it?

If 12-14% puts us where we are today (cost wise, sorry CA!), double the efficiency and we hit 2-3c kwh. :) Imagine another 10 yrs of innovation.

vaporedout

vaporedout

whats that program maiden??

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
man I saw a tv show like 2 years ago about how to make panels that were 70% efficient

cant believe those are nowhere to be seen yet

R

RMCG

man I saw a tv show like 2 years ago about how to make panels that were 70% efficient

cant believe those are nowhere to be seen yet

These are the 'thin film' ones though.

'Coolerado' coolers show their AC unit piped in to a solar array and by keeping the temps down, efficiency shoots up in them a few points as well. Not 70%, but you see the output voltage go up as the temps of the panels go down.

Its interesting tech, can't wait to see what the future holds.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yes - and then there is another type in development that are tubes designed so that they are more efficient in using/capturing the light as the sun moves across the sky

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
whats that program maiden??
California Home Energy Retrofit, run by the CHF (California Homebuyers Fund or something like that.. hold on, lemme getcha a link).

Yesterday (Saturday) we FINALLY got the phone call we've been waiting weeks for. They're going to be out here at the end of the month to completely scope our home, go over it with a fine-toothed comb and tease out every place where we're energy inefficient. They're also going to survey us for going completely solar. FUCKIN' ACE!!!!

Ok, the linky-link. (Why did I type that? It's annoying when Chef Burrell does that, it's annoying when *I* do that. Fuck it, it stays, annoying me, and maybe you.)

Hotay, home site: http://www.chfloan.org/
Energy retrofit program:

You must qualify for this program, and there are a few qualifiers.
First, you've got to reside in an applicable county.
Second, you must own your home.
Third, you must be current on the mortgage and have a steady job or source of income.
Fourth, you have to be able to prove that your home needs this energy retrofit, but the great thing is that your home's age doesn't matter (ours is 5yo).

On top of all these qualifiers (we had to submit power bills to help show inefficiency, but hey, PG&E makes that so easy) we're in a county that qualifies for lending at 0%. Typically the current rate is 3%, which is still very low, but not as low as 0%! Free money!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We received the phone call last Saturday from Ms. Johnson. We are now scheduled for our home and property to be surveyed and whatever else it is they'll be doing to determine energy efficiency and ways to improve it on the 3rd. A week later we will receive a full report and presentation on options, costs, etcetera, and hopefully we'll also be receiving at least the basic loan information.

If you're interested, I found that a phone call isn't the way to go, just email and keep emailing until they contact you. They will contact you, just not very quickly.

Top Bottom