Solar panel grow

• Thread starter zooted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zoeronerer

Selling power back is a myth... You can't go past zero... Unfortunately.

not true they just give you a shite rate on the power and you can only sell a certain amount back....i may remember someone saying ...

thats in west oakland and sonoma so my guess is other parts of cali allow it as well.....also berkley can sell it back ...

i have seen solar warehouse grows... you can buy used panels and old gov surplus batterys ...u need to also be on city power for when it gets rainy... wind is a shit idea sorry guys unless you live in fucking altamont or some other wind anomaly zone...

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

yeah solar panels are getting much better plus you can get 30% back from the stimulus. Also you dont even need the batterys anymore now when you make more power then you are using your power meter spins backwards basically, so in the end you still get to use the power you made during the day at night since your meter went backwards during the day and now at night its spins forward when your not making any power. Also there are water proof power inverters made so you DC amp drop is minimized. Im working with a designer whole will go out to your place or business or home and design a panel layout with a kw per hour rating so you know exactly how much your system can make on a sunny day. Also in california you can get a tax rebate depending on how many KW per hour you make. The technology is so close to being so economical that most people will be able to afford it.

H

hailo

yeah solar panels are getting much better plus you can get 30% back from the stimulus. Also you dont even need the batterys anymore now when you make more power then you are using your power meter spins backwards basically, so in the end you still get to use the power you made during the day at night since your meter went backwards during the day and now at night its spins forward when your not making any power. Also there are water proof power inverters made so you DC amp drop is minimized. Im working with a designer whole will go out to your place or business or home and design a panel layout with a kw per hour rating so you know exactly how much your system can make on a sunny day. Also in california you can get a tax rebate depending on how many KW per hour you make. The technology is so close to being so economical that most people will be able to afford it.

The only problem with the rebate is they have to come "inside" and check the work...

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
i'm on R.E.M.C. rural electric municipal commission and they don't buy power back, but i'm still waiting for the technology to become efficient enough with the solar panels

mal

Z

zoeronerer

good info ..... my lord

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

im curious if any of you have experience with off-grid systems.....
it sounds like money wise grid-tie sounds better, but i might be purchasing some land in the near future which doesnt have power hooked up on it and im sure i would have to pay for that aswell.....
so im looking around for a off grid system that can run a small 2bd home (700 sq feet) and 2 - 400 watt tents...im a little confused on how big of a system i would need for this 1kw,2kw?

would something like this be enough (121 kWh/month)

any info would be much appreciated

H

hailo

solar panels cost typically 2-3$ per watt

Maybe for cheap panels...

im curious if any of you have experience with off-grid systems.....
it sounds like money wise grid-tie sounds better, but i might be purchasing some land in the near future which doesnt have power hooked up on it and im sure i would have to pay for that aswell.....
so im looking around for a off grid system that can run a small 2bd home (700 sq feet) and 2 - 400 watt tents...im a little confused on how big of a system i would need for this 1kw,2kw?

would something like this be enough (121 kWh/month)

any info would be much appreciated

Thats correct, the main reason you go Off-Grid is because there isnt a power pole near....Off-Grid also means you need to get a Generator for the days your cells dont produce. Also there is the cost of renewing your batteries every 5 years or so..

So if your land does have power near your better off going Grid-Tie

For a small home 1.5-2 KW system will do...need to be more specific then 2 400w tents...

S

slimjoint

ive always had this idea to somehow store the power from a tesla coil and add some type of converter to make it into usable power.
Something a buddy of mine has been trying to do for years.

As far as the solar panels go, youre going to have to see how much does it cut your costs by, is the initial cost worth the money that will be saved

as technology advances im sure we will one day know how to use the magnetic field of the earth as our source of energy ie Trees.
I guess this is another topic for another thread though.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
There`s a new unit I heard of that runs off sand and makes enough power to run a house. Not sure what it is called or how it works.

H

HowardHunt

I worked in Solar for a few years and I would say that the only way to really do this in any kind of sensible fashion would be if you were in an area of the world that is suitable for CSP. With that kind of heat generation there would be plenty of power to run a nice project.

I don't know of any private CSP project though. They are all maintained by a handful of companies.

I just don't see how this could happen within the field of Photovoltaics until a higher efficiency solar cell is developed.

perhaps those bloom boxes with the newly developed fuel cell is the answer to all our problems in order to get off the grid.

H

HowardHunt

With wind the turbines are cheaper than the panels on the initial level but you have remember that you are buying pretty much a fancy gear box. They will always break down at some point and you will be fixing them quite often if it comes down to having any kind of big operation. There is a whole negative side to wind power that rarely is discussed beyond industry people that include all sorts of low end frequencies that could effect people that live near turbines in some fashion.

The bloom box would be huge if it ever got down to a size that the average customer could buy would. It knocks out a ton of power, can be totally off the grid and basically is hassle free.

Personally I'm sitting tight until fuel cell technology breaks through or the OU thin film coating that was developed a few years back actually hits the industrial market. I think they hit something like 95% efficiency. If panels like that were available to purchase at a reasonable price there would be no question.

B

BlueBerryMaster

I have friends that run a 20 x 600watt room from solar panels that run the length of their roof. The setup includes 20 x 12 Volt batteries ( deep-cycle) that in turn feed a large power converter.

The also have a large water bladder under their main house that catches and stores all the rain water, which they use for the grow.

:character0103:

I really look up to them.

Wow really cause i cant even keep 1-1k light going for 12 hours on 4-deep cycle SOLAR BATTERY

M

MJPassion

I've been pondering this idea myself... I'd like to run 1-1K light, 2-600W lights and my 435W T5 panel.

A 7.5KW "OFF GRID" system was recently quoted at $20K-$30K installed. ;)

Another thing that is often not thought about when dealing with wind turbines is the mounting tower. The most effective wind turbine install means that the blades are a min of 30 feet above anything within 100 feet of the turbine. If ya had a 20 foot tall building and 11 foot blades your turbine would be about 75 feet at it's peak.

K

koolace

Great thread this question is always in the back of the mind of any indoor grower! Wish we could get some more feed back..???

M

MASSES 420KING

i could of sworn you can buy complete solar powered light systems 400,600and 1000 watters im actually tryng to find the web site so i can go and grow off grid

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I've been pondering this idea myself... I'd like to run 1-1K light, 2-600W lights and my 435W T5 panel.

A 7.5KW "OFF GRID" system was recently quoted at $20K-$30K installed. ;)

Another thing that is often not thought about when dealing with wind turbines is the mounting tower. The most effective wind turbine install means that the blades are a min of 30 feet above anything within 100 feet of the turbine. If ya had a 20 foot tall building and 11 foot blades your turbine would be about 75 feet at it's peak.

I think there has been a big misconception in this thread. A 7.5k solar system does not put out 7.5k of power a month. It doesn't work like that. Solar is also about location and the ability to put the panels on trackers. Not to mention batteries and such. Any Solar system over 10k has to have a grid study if going to grid tie. Not all companies support grid tie as far as reverse meters meaning you don't get paid. Solar is getting there but not there yet. I was greatly disappointed when I started doing research and getting quotes. Selling power back to the power companies is the only way to make it cost effective and even then the inital investment when I looked at it started getting WAY up there. I'm talking for about 3k worth of lighting and all the bells and whistles that go with it taking it off the grid. Hydro power from something like a stream or river is the best one out of all of them. When you say solar this day and age you are better off talking about cutting a hole in the roof and using the "solar" energy shining through ;)

can you justify spending $20k to $30K for 3K worth of lighting that maybe costs you $200-$300 extra per month. I mean you are talking 5+ years after the tax benefits to get your investment back. That is without hiccups.

M

MASSES 420KING

naw these hps lights were like a grand a piece for the 1000s but the whole thing was included ie: solar panel wires ballast cords hood bulb and all the connections that went to it io still cant find the add but when i do i will post it and the web site

G

GRAMTOWN

in 2011 you will Be able to sell Excess power to Utility Companies Here In Southern California. I'am A Certified PV Installer, It Is possible To Install a 6k System On a house For Wayyyyy Less Than $100K... After Incentives & Rebates You'll Be looking at about $3 Per Watt. Residential Systems Could Pay for themselves in 10-15 years. Imagine If you Grew your Own medicine with one It could easily pay for itself In 1-2 Years. Wind Turbines Need too Much open Space To operate efficiently, anyone Looking to Grow using a Solar System Should Go with either an BiModal system ( Using Batteries for storage + Grid Capapbilities) or Go Completely Off-grid With a Standalone System. Being that Soon enough we will be able to Sell power back to the grid I prefer Going BiModal. You never know when U will have a system problem and Could always use the Grid as back up. If Anyone Wants to Know More or has any Projects Coming up that they Need Help With or Looking to get done PM me.

M

mrdizzle

i was just thinking I wish a solar professional would jump in this thread and drop some knowledge, thanks for the info

Top Bottom