Some advice please!

• Thread starter Mjensen411
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So something to keep in mind here is that cells are always looking for equilibrium, in this case we are looking at the water and compounds within the individual cells. If the root cells are constantly surrounded by only H2O the cells will release salts from within the cells to create that equilibrium around the root cells. This process does not occur quickly so in the case of top feedings that go drain to waste this will virtually never be an issue. In the case of DWC it may become more of a problem.

So just for full disclosure I have never been afraid to apply plain distilled or RO water to plants, but then again I have been predominantly a soil grower so my roots have always had buffer around them. I am not trying to make people afraid of using pure H2O, it is a great tool and I love it. Just laying out things as I have learned them.
I agree. I just don't feel it will literally pull it out of the plant. Root tissue I would agree.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought stripping of Calcium was only if you used Distilled water ?
I use RO and never saw anything like that.
The only difference between them is the process used to purify the water and the effectiveness. My tap is about 120ppm. My RODI comes out at 1-2 ppm distilled will be 0 so both RO and distilled are almost virtually the same.

Of course it depends on the quality and maintenance of the RO system.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I agree. I just don't feel it will literally pull it out of the plant. Root tissue I would agree.

Yes root tissue, not further up the plant. However the imbalance at the root zone will cause imbalance further up the plant because the plant is no longer moving nutrients up into the tissue of the shoots. But you stated the same thing earlier when talking about calcium issues and distilled water.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

The only difference between them is the process used to purify the water and the effectiveness. My tap is about 120ppm. My RODI comes out at 1-2 ppm distilled will be 0 so both RO and distilled are almost virtually the same.

Of course it depends on the quality and maintenance of the RO system.
Actually my RO has about a 0.02 PPM and distilled is 0.00 ppm (with a new membrane)

I imagine that the difference is due to the membrane in an RO system being less efficient then distillation (Watts ROpure here)
Anything that you purchase in a store that says drinking water can be any process that they feel like using.

I also forgot to mention that i use Herculean Harvest which is liquid bone meal, so that may be the reason that I haven't seen a calcium def of late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom