Some Flowering At Transition To Outdoors...ugh!

• Thread starter oldskool63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskool63

oldskool63

Background. OMMP licensed patient/grower. Started indoors @24 until nicely rooted up.about a week at 18/6 and then out to the hooptie and transitioned to about 14.5hrs daylight. Over the next 3 weeks I increased daylight about 5 minutes every other day until synced to actual daylight. grown through 1 gal and 5 gal pots nicely rooted at each transplant. All very happy and showing nothing but Vegetative growth. Coco mix in 200 gal with DTE organic amendments is their final transition.
Despite extreme care to sync up with mother nature...it happened. I have had numerous girls in my hooptie and supp'd light for the last 3 weeks or so with great success on transitioning from indoor to hoop house. I had been waiting until we hit the 15 hr daylight mark to give them their new homes in the garden. About 4 days ago now. Long story short, a few of my ladies started to flower. It seems that they are only the poly hybrid clones, but not all of them either. Some same strain hybrids doing fine yet one or two have flowered. My question is are there any techniques to achieve the quality, and density, they would normally produce? Or, because of numbers and my patient/own needs, am I better off parting ways with these confused ladies? I am fortunate enough to be able to put a few less desirable starts in their place, but these were my first choices...Any help or direction appreciated.
Peace.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not that I'm aware of. Next time, don't drop the photoperiod like that, just start them on an interrupted phase and keep them on it until you plan on actually flowering them out.

oldskool63

oldskool63

Thanks for the response. It may be the lack of caffeine but I am as confused as these particular plants...Are you saying to pick the daylight schedule of the day you will plant outdoors and the first time the plant is introduced to a "dark" cycle it is that schedule they should stay on? I would have to light a 100x220 field for about 4 hours each day to achieve an 18/6ish. I'd finally have use for my old C.A.P. ballasts but even some of my neighbors wouldn't go for that! Or are you referring to lighting mid dark cycle to "interrupt"... Either way they have to come out of the hoop house...I'm more than a bit embarrassed to say this but I am not grasping the concept of not dropping the photoperiod, outdoors, until flowering. Your patience and further explanation is greatly appreciated.

ncga

ncga

Skip the 24 hr start.Then go with like 14.5 hr day with a 1.5 to 2 hrs of light from say 11pm to 12.30

before you put them out slowly reduce the 11pm cycle by about 15 min a week. You can do this in the hoop house whit a 60 watt bulb, or a mix of both. Start reducing indoor then about May 15 put them in the hoop house for the final reduction. I'm going try and post up some photos of how I finalize the hoop house with 50% shade cloth.

oldskool63

oldskool63

Very Cool....Thanks for the info ncga. I had spent the recent past years indoors and experimenting with a variety of methodologies, lighting technologies, and room setups. This is my first foray back outdoors and I have been a bit overzealous. I had brought a few varieties that were acclimatized to the regimens of an indoor cycle, and tried to run them in the outdoor garden. I feel this could have contributed to the pre-flowering as well. Either way I will try and figure out how to put up a couple pics and see if I can show whats going on. Thanks again for the follow up. Much Appreciated!
Peace.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Skip the 24 hr start.Then go with like 14.5 hr day with a 1.5 to 2 hrs of light from say 11pm to 12.30

before you put them out slowly reduce the 11pm cycle by about 15 min a week. You can do this in the hoop house whit a 60 watt bulb, or a mix of both. Start reducing indoor then about May 15 put them in the hoop house for the final reduction. I'm going try and post up some photos of how I finalize the hoop house with 50% shade cloth.
^^^ This right here is what you should be doing, if anyone knows how it should be done, it is this man! ^^^

I've been playing with 15 minute interruptions rather than using an entire hour to hour and a half. Have you played with using shorter interruption times?

oldskool63

oldskool63

Here is a pic of what the clones looked like after introducing to the garden and the circadian rhythm... Other pic is the start of "re-planting". Its enough work to do it the first time...I won't be making this mistake again!
Thanks for the info and I'll keep posted on the grow as time permits!
Peace.

20150530 081309
20150527 194429
oldskool63

oldskool63

Wow...it is never my intent to harm anyone much less kill someone! LOL! Thank you! and yes I am very fortunate. I lost my business last year and left the desert for greener pastures. Now I walk to work, put in the ear buds, light up that spliff, and drift away. I had been indoors for sooooo long I had forgotten my connection with the earth and am really enjoying the challenges of the outdoors. It may sound crazy, but I'm glad its not so "precise". I could mix my 150 gal rez and ph it on a dime without meter, every room was exactly the same temp and humidity everyday, and it was getting old and stale. Now, I'm learning again everyday how to feed soil instead of the plants...(hopefully) resulting in better meds for all in my circle.
Peace and Positive Vibes

Augestwest

Augestwest

So what are you gonna do?? Pull the ones that are showing preflowers or run them?

oldskool63

oldskool63

So what are you gonna do?? Pull the ones that are showing preflowers or run them?
Thanks for asking...I was gifted some seed starts from some new friends and neighbors so I pulled all the pre-flowered girls and am replacing(ed). We had a storm whip through on Monday night that could have been real bad. Hail and winds. Luckily I came through pretty much intact. Here's what I was able to replace with:
God's Gift
Grapefruit x God Bud
Blue Cheese x (N Lights Blueberry x Purple Cream)
Critical Mass x Blue Dream
Blueberry x Major League Bud x Blue Heron
Kali Snapple x Ms Universe #10
Haven't ever ran these before, but from what I can gather it should be a fun ride! So blessed to be part of a great community...online as well!
Peace and Positive vibes!

Bowski

Bowski

we got ours out late, July 18th and they showed pre flowers in 4 days. I thought we had more time because of the amount of light available at the time. we live in a most southern State.
On a side note, we tried end of APRIL and got the same result... all were clones in both instances.
what are we doing wrong?
good luck to all.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're starting with clones.

Sorry, incomplete thought. Clones are going to switch into flower when you change the photoperiod to a reduced daytime phase. Period.

Augestwest

Augestwest

I was able to put clones out may 18th and they didn't flower. But Im thinking I'm paying the price now as they seem to have started flowering but there still haven't started crowning.

Bowski

Bowski

You're starting with clones.

Sorry, incomplete thought. Clones are going to switch into flower when you change the photoperiod to a reduced daytime phase. Period.
Now we know. whats the rule with seeds? and does it matter if they are fem or regular?
Thanks Sea.

Bowski

Bowski

Clones go out June 20th. You can push June 1st, but many will flower. June 20th is the rule.
June 20th got it. is there anything else that were missing? Inside growing is a lot easier for me at the moment until I learn more on outside plants. June 20th..does this date have something to do with the Moon Phase?

Thanks Bulldog.

Bowski

Bowski

I just called my buddy that I gave some regular plants and he set them out on July 18 and most showed sex also. so Im a little confused. could it be genetics?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Absolutely some are more prone than others. But, the thing is that once the plant has shown sex, photoperiod matters.
Now we know. whats the rule with seeds? and does it matter if they are fem or regular?
Thanks Sea.
Seeds just chug right on through and that's why I always grow out seed starts every season. This year I'm doing some fems, the photoperiod doesn't matter, but two out of five female ain't all that fem.
June 20th got it. is there anything else that were missing? Inside growing is a lot easier for me at the moment until I learn more on outside plants. June 20th..does this date have something to do with the Moon Phase?

Thanks Bulldog.
No. The daylight vs nighttime photoperiods. Cannabis is photoperiodic, thus, exposure to longer dark hours spurs flowering.

Bowski

Bowski

Thanks Seamaiden, could you suggest a few strains that will be top notch and from who to buy from that has a reputation of good genetics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom