Some Outdoor Container Growing Questions, Sierra Foothills

• Thread starter stomatasf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stomatasf

stomatasf

Hi there, I've been checking out this forum for last couple of years. Have done some indoor growing and will now have opportunity for small outdoor grow. I'll be growing in the foothills and am choosing some strains now. Any advice on things that have grown well and not so well to avoid out here? So far I have some Goo Chee seeds ( NorCal Gooey x Chelumbian) Purple goo skunk and some Desert Lemon Death Glue...
Will be using some fabric pots (300 gallon) and prob a few raised garden type contraptions. Gophers, there's a lot of them on this property. Planning on using hardware cloth.. One of my friends recommend cutting out the bottom of my fabric pots and sewing in harware cloth so #1 keep gophers out and #2 roots can go down deeper. Here's my question is this overkill for the roots? and just a lot of extra work with cutting out bottoms of the pots... 300 gallons of soil is quite a bit. Should I just place hardware cloth under the pots? How far on average do cannabis plants roots grow? I've been trying to find a solid answer on this, some people say 14 to 16" and just read somewhere where Jorge cervantes mentioned 6 feet! Who's got the facts? lol.

stomatasf

stomatasf

Clones dont root down but if you do a seed right in the ground it can tap into ground water below as featured in mendo dopes videos. I have seen roots longer than 4 foot on 12 foot plants so there is bigger.
Thanks for the response Boraginaceae! I'll check out mendodopes videos. In the past I am used to using clones so yeah no tap root. We'll do some seed and some clones also this run. Do you think it's necessary to cut out bottoms of pots though? or is that overkill? If you had like 20 of them would you just place gopher proofing underneath or would you take the time to cut out bottoms etc?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hello from another Sierra grower. I imagine these grow bags are sitting on top of dirt? If so, I’m not seeing a gopher threat. If concerned maybe a piece of wire cloth under the grow bag. 300 gallon is a good size for root development to allow for very large plants. The plant will not throw a big tap root that needs to go through the bag. Keep all those roots up in the excellent growing medium that you are providing in the bags. Proper watering will help the roots grow down and out towards the bottom and sides of the bag to help anchor the plants. A wire cage around the plant will help spread the canopy. Good luck!

stomatasf

stomatasf

I dont worry bout gopher but my naibor does. They use chicken wire. If the plant grows big enough it will break thrugh the bag but I reccomend cutting holes to help it move along also losen dirt below it. Plant cover on top. Again see mendo dopes videos on top crop for feed and shade. I think it was a George Cervantes video where i seen the tap roots.<---correction.
Alrighty I'll check this video out tonight! thanks again!

stomatasf

stomatasf

Hello from another Sierra grower. I imagine these grow bags are sitting on top of dirt? If so, I’m not seeing a gopher threat. If concerned maybe a piece of wire cloth under the grow bag. 300 gallon is a good size for root development to allow for very large plants. The plant will not throw a big tap root that needs to go through the bag. Keep all those roots up in the excellent growing medium that you are providing in the bags. Proper watering will help the roots grow down and out towards the bottom and sides of the bag to help anchor the plants. A wire cage around the plant will help spread the canopy. Good luck!
Hi there BudBogart! So the guys who were growing on same property last year lost a plant to a gopher. I guess it chewed through the bag or crawled over. I saw the damage all roots nibbled off but I didn't ask to see the bag. I'd rather lay down some hardware cloth under the bags instead cutting out bottoms and sewing on... it seems like a whole lot of work & unnecessary IMO but I'm not a seasoned grower... BTW do you use smart pots? I know I saw pics of some of your plants on a different thread and they looked amazing but don't recall if in smart pots or in ground. You ever use a top soil mix in smart pots or is that gonna be too heavy/dense on plants?

stomatasf

stomatasf

I use foxfarm ocean Forrest or roots organic 707. I grow in homemade smart pots and also plant straiight into the ground. Planting in the ground will yield more but quality might be lost. My plants that were 9-12 foot last season broke roots through my smart pots into solid granite and dirt. I like regular plastic pots and smart pots and planting in ground. I do it all man! Even hydro, coco and such. Been awhile since i did hydro.
Damn your plants sound like Beasts! Awesome. I'll be happy to get through the season with healthy plants and minimal bug/pest issues. Do you use teas? add top dressings etc?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hi there BudBogart! So the guys who were growing on same property last year lost a plant to a gopher. I guess it chewed through the bag or crawled over. I saw the damage all roots nibbled off but I didn't ask to see the bag. I'd rather lay down some hardware cloth under the bags instead cutting out bottoms and sewing on... it seems like a whole lot of work & unnecessary IMO but I'm not a seasoned grower... BTW do you use smart pots? I know I saw pics of some of your plants on a different thread and they looked amazing but don't recall if in smart pots or in ground. You ever use a top soil mix in smart pots or is that gonna be too heavy/dense on plants?

Most of my growing is directly into big holes in the ground filled with the best soil available locally in bulk. I’ve used a grow bag or two, but usually they would be sitting on a wooden deck, so no rodent experience with bags.
I’ve been extremely lucky avoiding rodent hits in the ground. I find holes popping up in the orchard, but nothing has attacked the girls. We have rabbits, voles, moles, field mice, etc. I do plan on making cloth wire cages to put in my new holes for this year. Even an 18 inch root cage is going to protect the root mass. Others on here will have better bag experience to share.
Last year, a couple of mice ate my one day old seedlings, effectively killing my entire crop, so watch out for that! I had to buy seeds from a dispensary just to have a grow.

stomatasf

stomatasf

Most of my growing is directly into big holes in the ground filled with the best soil available locally in bulk. I’ve used a grow bag or two, but usually they would be sitting on a wooden deck, so no rodent experience with bags.
I’ve been extremely lucky avoiding rodent hits in the ground. I find holes popping up in the orchard, but nothing has attacked the girls. We have rabbits, voles, moles, field mice, etc. I do plan on making cloth wire cages to put in my new holes for this year. Even an 18 inch root cage is going to protect the root mass. Others on here will have better bag experience to share.
Last year, a couple of mice ate my one day old seedlings, effectively killing my entire crop, so watch out for that! I had to buy seeds from a dispensary just to have a grow.
Thanks for response... one more thing... sorry.. who would you recommend locally for soil etc?

BudBogart

BudBogart

I live on the 50 corridor. I was very happy with the soil I got from the Front Yard in pville but it can be very hot till you cool it down. They have two similar yet different kinds. Last year Someone advertised very special soil for $100 a yard (vs 50). I was going to look into it, but don’t see it this year. The guys at the Front Yard can help with specific cannabis related questions. Also, big selection of nutes, bottled and ormi dry organic.

stomatasf

stomatasf

I live on the 50 corridor. I was very happy with the soil I got from the Front Yard in pville but it can be very hot till you cool it down. They have two similar yet different kinds. Last year Someone advertised very special soil for $100 a yard (vs 50). I was going to look into it, but don’t see it this year. The guys at the Front Yard can help with specific cannabis related questions. Also, big selection of nutes, bottled and ormi dry organic.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out. Sorry just responding back!

stomatasf

stomatasf

No teas, no pesticides. I do top dress with fancy soil every once in awhile(bu blend compost malibu). The secret is to let them get about 4-5 foot before feeding extra strength fox farm nutes them they blow up with full doses to around 9-12 foot for the bloom. I didnt realize how good my herb was this year until i went into local despesaries and found the high to not be there. I am still working on curing and flavor. Now that I got the original OG kush I can get some better flavor rather then just a buzz. I do get bugs but the plants are so big they are uneffected. I do however manually take out cut worms during early bloom. I pull every top and bud apart picking at least one worm per bud and killing them in my finger. This prevents bud rot and save the tops from cutting cut down. when you see some browning on a cola its a must to open it up and inspect the inside. Thick big buds seem to benifit from the nugs being pulled apart as they get airflw and prevent mold. I sometime use neem oil to prevent mold indoors or out. It makes the leaf shiny and smells like shit but keep bugs off. Polish the leaf in veg so you dont need it in bloom.
Thank you for all the tips!!

A

AudioLog

A quick note on the rodent issue from another outdoor grower in the foothills. Small square wire similar to chicken wire works well around and beneath your growing medium. Another option is something shared from an old school grower friend .... plant whatever food your problem rodent or animal likes to eat around the grow area. Once they get their fill they lose all interest in further exploration. Hope this helps and happy growing.

Top Bottom