!!!! Someone please help, problems with planting seed!!!!

• Thread starter caperfarmer902
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

Hmm well your germination method is very similar to mine, as is how your transplant them into soil. Sounds like you are being nice and gentle with them and not letting them go too long before you transplant. It could be possible you have bunk soil - it sounds to me you may be getting some sort of damping-off disease, or that perhaps the soil you are using is too hot. You want a very mellow mix for seedlings they cannot tolerate high amounts of nutrients, like you tend to find in "potting mixes."

Have you been sprouting your seedlings in a sterile, clean environment? Cleanliness can go a long way in preventing certain pests and diseases such as the damping-off diseases. I always sterilize the containers and tools I am going to use before I work with seedlings - this is very important in my opinion.

Here is some info about the various damping-off diseases from UC Davis. Does this sounds like what has been happening to you?:

DAMPING OFF DISEASE IN THE GARDEN
"In the field, garden, or planter box, seedlings often fail to come up, or die soon after they have emerged from the soil. Seeds may rot before they germinate, shoots may be decayed before they emerge, or stems of seedlings may be attacked near the soil line, causing young plants to collapse. These diseases often are collectively referred to as ā€œdamping-off,ā€ and may be caused by a number of soil-inhabiting pathogens.

Species of the soil organism Pythium are most often responsible for damping-off, but several other pathogens, including species of Rhizoctonia, Fusarium, and Phytophthora, can also cause decay. Decay is most likely to occur when old seeds or seed pieces are planted in cold, wet soil and is further increased by poor soil drainage, the use of green compost, and planting too deeply.

SYMPTOMS
The first evidence of damping-off or seed piece decay (as in potatoes) is the failure of some plants to emerge. If seeds are attacked before they germinate, they become soft and mushy; turn dark brown, and decay. They may have a layer of soil clinging to them when they are dug up because the soil is interwoven with fine, threadlike fungus growth. Germinating seedlings shrivel and may darken. If seedlings are attacked after they emerge, stem tissue near the soil line is decayed and weakened, usually causing plants to topple and die. When only roots are decayed, plants may continue standing but remain stunted, wilt and eventually die. As seedlings get older, they become less susceptible to damping-off pathogens.

SIMILAR INJURY
Garden pests such as cutworms, earwigs, flea beetles, snails and slugs, and root maggots may also damage seedlings in the garden. Itā€™s important to distinguish the damage done by pests from damping-off injury.

Cutworms are dull-brownish, smooth-skinned caterpillars that emerge from the soil at night to feed on newly emerged seedlings and newly set transplants. They are called ā€œcutwormsā€ because they frequently snip plants off at or just below the soil surface. Look for cutoff plants, and dig around the base of injured plants to look for cutworms. Earwigs feed most actively at night, and can cause substantial damage to seedling plants. Damaged seedlings may be missing all or parts of their leaves and stem.

Flea beetles are small, shiny beetles with large hind legs used for jumping. They are common in newly planted vegetable gardens, and may seriously damage seedlings by chewing dozens of holes in leaves or removing leaves completely. Feeding by large numbers of beetles gives leaves a shot-hole appearance and slows plant growth.

Snails and slugs are most active at night and on cloudy or foggy days. Snails and slugs chew irregular holes with smooth edges in leaves, and can clip succulent plant parts and seedlings. Look for the silvery mucous trails to confirm damage was caused by slugs or snails and not damping-off pathogens or other causes.

Root maggots are small, legless, and white. Look for their brown pupal cases in or around damaged seeds or seedlings. Seedcorn maggots infest newly sprouted seed before plants can emerge. Cabbage maggots attack older plants riddling roots with tunnels.

BIOLOGY
The pathogens that cause damping-off and seed piece decay are present in virtually all soils. They survive on dead organic matter and also produce spores or other structures that survive for long periods of time. The young tissue of emerging seedlings is least resistant to infection when plants are growing slowly in cold, wet soil. Vigorously growing seedlings are fairly resistant to infection.

Damping-off pathogens can be divided into two main groups. The ā€œtrue fungiā€ include Rhizoctonia, Fusarium, and Thielaviopsis genera. A second group, previously considered fungi but now placed in a separate classification called oomycetes, includes the Pythium and Phytophthora genera.

MANAGEMENT
Damping-off is controlled primarily through good sanitation, high quality planting material, and proper cultural and environmental controls. Damping-off is worse when soil is wet or compacted. Prepare planting beds so that the soil has good drainage. Drainage can be improved by using raised beds and soil amendments such as redwood shavings, peat moss, or fir bark. Use only well-decomposed compost. The overly moist environment of green compost will encourage a damping-off problem. Use aerobic (well aerated) composting procedures to reduce the population of disease-causing pathogens in the compost. Composted hardwood bark has been reported to reduce damping-off.

Plant when temperatures are favorable for rapid seedling growth. Shallow planting will speed up germination outdoors if conditions are marginal. Planting too deeply can delay germination and emergence of the seedling and increase damping-off problems. If you want to start seedlings before temperatures are favorable, start them in the greenhouse or other protected areas and transplant them into the field when temperatures get warmer. Do not transplant into cold, wet soil. Use only the highest quality seed available. Use light sprinkler irrigations to encourage germination and emergence, and do not overwater. After plants emerge, thin them so that there is good air circulation among the plants. Avoid putting on too much nitrogen fertilizer. Avoid planting the same crops in the same place year after year.

Potatoes are a special case. If growing potatoes, plant seed pieces in moist soil that is at least 50Ā° F, and start them at a time of year when irrigations will not be necessary before sprouts emerge from the ground.

SANITATION
Sanitation is important because spores of the organisms that cause damping-off can survive in dust, planting medium, or soil particles in flats and pots. To reduce survival of the pathogens, remove and discard diseased plants and sterilize containers.

If starting plants indoors, in cold frames, or in greenhouses, plant seeds in steam treated soil or pasteurized potting mix. You can purchase treated potting soil or prepare your own. Soil mix must be held at 140Ā° F for at least 30 minutes. Soil can be heated in a conventional or microwave oven in a paper bag, by raising the temperature with boiling water, or by placing moist soil in a clear plastic bag in direct sunlight. Use a soil thermometer to make sure soil reaches the proper temperature for the correct time.

For outdoor planting beds, in the warmer regions of California, soil solarization during fallow periods can reduce pathogens. To solarize, place clear plastic tarps over moist, bare soil for 4 to 6 weeks during the hottest part of the year."

C

caperfarmer902

wow, thanks for getting the info for me blaze, but i honestly thing when i put the seed in the soil i was putting them down way to deep to the point they were covered with soil about 1 to 2 inches, also when i planted those seeds, it was only 2 or 3 days of germinating them planted them.. and put under 24Ć©7 cfl lighting.. my question is now, when i plant them just so the shells at the top of the soil.. do i put them under light right then and there and for how long, or do i leave in a dark place for examply my grow tent?.. also i plan to buy pre mixxed potting soil ready in the bag to go right to the container.. what would be a good mix for me? i want these 4 seedds for my mother plants?

Blaze

Blaze

Once my seeds have cracked they immediately go under a light. The seedlings need that light ASAP in order to make food for themselves, so you want it there waiting for them as soon as they break through the soil, which can be pretty fast, often less than 24 hours. Also, never start seeds under 24 hour light - it can cause hermi issues. An 18/6 cycle works best IMO.

C

caperfarmer902

Once my seeds have cracked they immediately go under a light. The seedlings need that light ASAP in order to make food for themselves, so you want it there waiting for them as soon as they break through the soil, which can be pretty fast, often less than 24 hours. Also, never start seeds under 24 hour light - it can cause hermi issues. An 18/6 cycle works best IMO.

ohh ok, so when your seeds crack blaze, do you put them under 18 and 6 with the MH light or t5?

spacejerk234

spacejerk234

Caper as soon as the seeds crack and the taproot emerges (don't let it get 1/2" to 1" long) put it in your pre-moistened soil taproot down no more then a 1/4 - 1/2" cover it with dirt, then for good measure place a baggie over the cup unless you are using a germination try in which case place the dome on to help keep the moisture and humidity in.
I also place them under light at that time. I never have to germinate a viable seed longer than 48-72 hours.
~spacejerk234

Blaze

Blaze

ohh ok, so when your seeds crack blaze, do you put them under 18 and 6 with the MH light or t5?

I use a t5 mostly, sometimes a t8, or if it is after april 1 and the weather is decent, just natural sunlight in a cold frame. Seedlings do not need much light at first, I would think a MH might be a bit too intense. Even the t5 can fry them at first if they get too close.

C

caperfarmer902

well i do have t5 bulbs inwhich i can set my heat mat and humitiy dome under the t5s on that lighting period 18 of light 6 of dark.. so what ill do is set 4 t5s all along side of eachother at the same height and keep em on the 18 and 8 photo peroid.. how far would you put the seedling away from the fluros? And what type of ph water would you use along with nutes. if any at all? if i dont recall, nutes burn the seedling themself dont they?

convex

convex

Brother, you are really overthinking things ...

if anyone can help me out with the planting of the seed, that would be the best thing in the world. i have no problem germinating the seed, i put 4 peices of mosit paper towels at this point soaked in luke warm water, put the seeds on soaked paper towels and labell them, then cover them with 4 more peices of soaked paper towels, and i let the excess water run off, nd put them on a heat mat for the effect of being on top of a fridge, and them put in a rubbermaid container with 2 big towles over it to make the effect its in a dresser where its nice and dark, with this simple methoad i can germinate the seeds no problem, i usually let them go for about 5 to 6 days till their 1 inch high.. then usually i plant them an inch down in the soil and had no luck, a buddie of mine who grows all year all dayy all night with unbeliveable results said to put the germinated seed with the shell about the soil a tiny tiny bit and the root tip down in the soil, and it till reach for the light and the shell falls off and starts with the 2 little leaves.. if anyone can confirm this that would be awesome, i really need sucess with these seeds im buying.

thank you
Caperfarmer902

Once they have germed (read cracked) do not let them go an additional 5 or 6 days to grow tap roots, let the taps grow in your medium.

well i do have t5 bulbs inwhich i can set my heat mat and humitiy dome under the t5s on that lighting period 18 of light 6 of dark.. so what ill do is set 4 t5s all along side of eachother at the same height and keep em on the 18 and 8 photo peroid.. how far would you put the seedling away from the fluros? And what type of ph water would you use along with nutes. if any at all? if i dont recall, nutes burn the seedling themself dont they?

Once planted put them under a light source ... CFL, T5, Halide ... whatever you like, but not too close 4 or 5 inches from flouro's a couple of feet to start from a Halide on 24 hrs - no dark periods.

Temps between 70 and 80 will be just fine, no need for heaters and blankets find a corner in your house or cupboard and let them get a set of leaves then start to drop lights closer.

You can go to 20/4 or 18/6 once a few healthy nodes are up ...

Keep it simple, it's a weed, grows like mad outdoors without much interference, grows just as easily indoors.

Cheers

C

caperfarmer902

alright, well after going through the process over and over, im pretty sure i have this down pat now, i put the seeds in the plate for germination, once i seen they cracked after 24 hours, i then put it in the rapid rooter ith the tap root pointing down with the red drinking cup filled 3/4s with miracle soilless potting mix, and put the rapid rooter only about 1/4 down inside the soil so the rooter can breath and get oxygen, i then took a small peice of rapid rooter the sponge type material and placed that inside the hole jus anough to cover the seed thats 1/4 and inch down inside the rapid rooter.. with that i placed two cups together with the cup that has the soil and the rooter in it with drainage holes, and the other cup catching the water.. i then placed a baggie over the top of the cup to make its own humity dome, in my tent, theres 2 red cups the excat same with a sprouted seed in each of them, i put the two of them in the rooter around 2:00pm ET today, so only about 6 hours so far, i had the cup with medium soaked in water and let drain for 2 hours befour i put my seed in there, and then i turned my HID MH 400watt light on a 18/6 cycle with my timer, and the light itself it 4ft - 4 1/2 ft away from the seedling, and has a temp of 78.5f
so far everything looks good from what i read and witnessed, heres some photos of the seedling in their new home and ready to grow..
also i posted 2 photos of the scrog i finnished lastnight, this is going to be covering my 16 plant setup to max my yeild.. tell me what you think.. each square is 2.5'' big, the whole netting is 3x3ft, fits like a glove inside my tent..

AMBA0073
AMBA0082
AMBA0072
AMBA0080
AMBA0078
AMBA0092
AMBA0091

Latest posts

Top Bottom