Something Eating My Stalks??

• Thread starter SmokeTUFF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmokeTUFF

SmokeTUFF

i was out feeding this morning when i noticed something on all my older plants. looks like bite marks, and i think it might be a mouse or vole or field mouse. Maybe you guys know exactly what the problem is. here a pics
thanks

smoketuff

Something eating my stalks
Something eating my stalks 2
Something eating my stalks 3
Something eating my stalks 4
Something eating my stalks 5
SmokeTUFF

SmokeTUFF

thanks for the fast response, since its in the same location on each plant im guessing its a smaller animal. i think im going to cut tops and bottoms off a few 2liter bottles and place them around. do you think my girls will pull thru or is that too much eaten off of them?

SmokeTUFF

SmokeTUFF

mice or voles. Wrap and bury a 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth around the stalk about 8" high and a few inches into the soil.

could they climb it and reach a higher part of the plant? do you think my 2 liter bottle idea would work?

Homesteader

Homesteader

could they climb it and reach a higher part of the plant? do you think my 2 liter bottle idea would work?
Its worth a shot for sure and the much cheaper option if you don't have any. Hardware cloth is pricy! Just keep an eye on it because they will be back. Probably been chowin that for a week or two. Good thing you caught it before it was too late.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
mice or voles. Wrap and bury a 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth around the stalk about 8" high and a few inches into the soil.
If you can find it, Tanglefoot also really helps here. I'd want to give the plant an aspirin treatment too, to help it deal with this major violation.

You are definitely on the right track, and if they girdle the plant they absolutely will kill it. If there's not much water around, consider adding a drip line to a small container, they'd rather drink from that than chew up your girls. If they're after food, consider throwing some rye grass or similar nearby for them to eat.

thanks for the fast response, since its in the same location on each plant im guessing its a smaller animal. i think im going to cut tops and bottoms off a few 2liter bottles and place them around. do you think my girls will pull thru or is that too much eaten off of them?
IME they will chew right through plastic if they're after water.

SmokeTUFF

SmokeTUFF

my plants are about 30ft from a stream so i dont think water is what they seek

If you can find it, Tanglefoot also really helps here. I'd want to give the plant an aspirin treatment too, to help it deal with this major violation.

You are definitely on the right track, and if they girdle the plant they absolutely will kill it. If there's not much water around, consider adding a drip line to a small container, they'd rather drink from that than chew up your girls. If they're after food, consider throwing some rye grass or similar nearby for them to eat.

IME they will chew right through plastic if they're after water.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Then they must be after the food. Trap crops can still offer some relief along with the other measures suggested.

SmokeTUFF

SmokeTUFF

So far ive put the cut 2 liters around them and so far so good. will let everyone know changes

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

+1 for tanglefoot. Used to use it back when I was gorilla growing in trash cans. I'd coat the rim of the can in tanglefoot and I would find dead lizards and mice stuck all the time. Maybe the 2 liter bottler wrapped around the stalk and coated with some tanglefoot. Don't get it on your clothes.

Top Bottom