Something Screwy Going On With The Uploader? Getting A False(?) "file Too Large" Message...

• Thread starter Myco
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Myco

Myco

I was attempting to unleash a pic dump in my thread, and for some reason some pics are getting the "file too large" message, while pics of the same size are uploading just fine. I resized everything the same way I always do... double checked the pixel and actual file size... should be good to go. All of the pics are reduced to around 1.5mb or less, with a resolution of 1280 x 852, in a .png format (which is what I always use). Seems that I get the error message on about half of them?

And again, I double/triple checked the file sizes and resolution of every file, all pics should be fine.

Unless I'm just too high and overlooking something stupid, it seems something is awry with the uploader?

Anybody else having that problem?

Any ideas @logic ?

Myco

Myco

Hey man thanks for getting back so quickly.

I checked the setting you suggested in my preferences, and the "use the flash-based uploader to upload attachments" was indeed already selected.

Still not working... Very strange.

One thing I realized, is that after I resized the images in Photoshop, that I didn't use the "Save For Web..." function like I normally do, just used "Save As..." and saved as .png files. I looked at the file size of the other pics I've uploaded recently that worked fine, and noticed they were 500-700kb, and the ones I'm trying to upload are 1.2-1.5mb. Thought maybe this was the cause (even though I know some folks upload raw images from their camera that are 3mb plus...), so I went through every image, resized again, and this time used the "Save For Web..." function (I know this compresses the file further and removes all of the excess metadata) and reduced all of the file sizes down to 500-700kb. And...

Still doesn't fuggin' work!

I noticed a couple more went through, but I'm still getting an error message on about a little less than half of the pics I'm trying to upload.

Then, I attempted to upload the image files (that I'm getting the error message on) individually, and even then, still get an error message that says "file too large"...

So again, I double check file sizes, everything is very reasonable at 500-700kb, 1280 x 852 pixels, .png format... and... Still. Getting. The. Error. Message.

It's really not the end of the world that I don't upload images, lol, but I kept thinking "well maybe I'm overlooking something stupid" - made sure every image file is legit - so now I'm just confused, slightly frustrating from repeatedly resizing... and thinking maybe there's some flaw with the uploader?

Sounds ridic, I know... but I swear I'm not just too high and overlooking something stupid on my end. Just kinda bored, now determined, and trying to upload some fucking pictures! :mad:

Bahaha... no really though, any idea wtf is going on sir?

straincreation

straincreation

Hey man thanks for getting back so quickly.

I checked the setting you suggested in my preferences, and the "use the flash-based uploader to upload attachments" was indeed already selected.

Still not working... Very strange.

One thing I realized, is that after I resized the images in Photoshop, that I didn't use the "Save For Web..." function like I normally do, just used "Save As..." and saved as .png files. I looked at the file size of the other pics I've uploaded recently that worked fine, and noticed they were 500-700kb, and the ones I'm trying to upload are 1.2-1.5mb. Thought maybe this was the cause (even though I know some folks upload raw images from their camera that are 3mb plus...), so I went through every image, resized again, and this time used the "Save For Web..." function (I know this compresses the file further and removes all of the excess metadata) and reduced all of the file sizes down to 500-700kb. And...

Still doesn't fuggin' work!

I noticed a couple more went through, but I'm still getting an error message on about a little less than half of the pics I'm trying to upload.

Then, I attempted to upload the image files (that I'm getting the error message on) individually, and even then, still get an error message that says "file too large"...

So again, I double check file sizes, everything is very reasonable at 500-700kb, 1280 x 852 pixels, .png format... and... Still. Getting. The. Error. Message.

It's really not the end of the world that I don't upload images, lol, but I kept thinking "well maybe I'm overlooking something stupid" - made sure every image file is legit - so now I'm just confused, slightly frustrating from repeatedly resizing... and thinking maybe there's some flaw with the uploader?

Sounds ridic, I know... but I swear I'm not just too high and overlooking something stupid on my end. Just kinda bored, now determined, and trying to upload some fucking pictures! :mad:

Bahaha... no really though, any idea wtf is going on sir?
Happened to me the other day also. And the pic was smaller than half thw ones ive uploaded in the pasT.

So your not crazy, i was thinking maybe my file was corruptes or something, but i kept getting th "file to large " error code. So idk.
Happy farmin;)

Myco

Myco

Happened to me the other day also. And the pic was smaller than half thw ones ive uploaded in the pasT.

So your not crazy, i was thinking maybe my file was corruptes or something, but i kept getting th "file to large " error code. So idk.
Happy farmin;)
Thanks for the input! Interesting. I also thought maybe there was some odd file corruption from Photoshop, so I also tried just using the Windows Gallery default software to resize from the and upload again. Then I took some old raw images from a different camera, resized, tried to upload, and again... some will upload, some will not. I've been messing around with this for a while now seeing what works and what doesn't. Seems completely random and indiscriminate, some images are simply "too large" for some silly reason.

Happy gardening mate.

Myco

Myco

Update...

So I went back through and just for shits, resized all of the images I was attempting to upload to 1024 x 682, still in .png format, file size still ~500kb, and every single image uploaded just fine.

Thought perhaps it was a coincidence since such a minute difference shouldn't matter, and attempted to upload the original 1280 x 852 files that wouldn't upload earlier, AND THEY ALL UPLOADED FINE.

Looks like something was certainly going on...

However, I finally got my shit uploaded, so I'm cool.

:cool::D

Icristal

Icristal

@logic Uploaded a few pictures yesterday no problem, now trying to upload pictures and get error message, file too big. My setting are as they should be. Please help

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
i have no idea whats going on i will try and take a better look this weekend when i get some free time

H

happy b

No i suddenly cant upload images either.saying "error file to large".never had this before.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
This issue should now be fixed :)

Just attempted to upload a file, resized smaller than 2Mb and retried. Still experience the error. Tried with a file that was 964Kb and it worked. Running Firefox on Linux if that matters. Perhaps I should try to get all files down below 1Mb? Didn't have a problem until about four or five days ago. Thanks @logic !

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
hello @tobh please clear your cookies, log back in and try and upload that 2mb image it should work now :)

and if it does not work now its because your using a proxy or tor and not a direct connection.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
hello @tobh please clear your cookies, log back in and try and upload that 2mb image it should work now :)

and if it does not work now its because your using a proxy or tor and not a direct connection.

Worked like a charm, you're a rockstar. Thanks again @logic

Latest posts

Top Bottom