sos hemp russet mites

• Thread starter catchafish
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

catchafish

Hello farmers, so i was inspecting my plants about a month ago and noticed some pollen like substance growing on a stem on one of my plants. i went to the local hydro shop and described the issues i was having. they said pm can be a rainbow of colors and said buy some pm wash. i applied the pm wash on the infected plant. the next day the pollen like substance multiplied and started to thrive. needless to say it was a quick victory for the substance that was growing on the plants. long story short, green cure has been used to no avail for 3 weeks now. i have a few resources i can tap in to for information on issues I'm having. so i called a buddy and explained the pollen like stuff that will not die. my buddy said look at the substance threw a magnifier glass and i did. holy f-in sh$# they were lady bug looking but not ladybugs for sure. thousands of them and there all kinds of eggs, adults, and mass destruction every where. my buddy said its the hemp russet mite and sorry for your luck and to stay away from his spot after i told him what i found. since than i have been researching and asking if anyone has beat the this mite. i found a receipt for a "grandpa cough medicine". i administered the concoction and inspected when the lights turned on. the spray put the hurt to the mites but lots of eggs and a few were still moving about but with less vigor.. i have been looking to other remedies on the INTERNET and there simply is not a lot of information out there. i read avid will help but it causes cancer when burned. the reason i post is to get some thoughts and helpful tips in fighting these mites.. please help if you have run in to these

M

midnightrider

sorry to hear about your mite problem , there are several methods that combat mites , some claim to work , some do and some dont , ive read and tried several , even tried home remedys , i dont think i had the russt mite as you but heres what has worked .

if your in veg you have a real good chance , azamax works spray the whole plant making sure to get the underside of leaves , wait 7 days and spray again , wait 5 more days and spray for the last time . let dry then spray with water only to wash off the film left by the azamax

if your in flower it depends on how far along ,,, late in flower id say your pretty much skrewed , slavage what you can , use a vacumn and suck those suckers off the plant

early in flower use the azamax described above

now before your next run , you need to clean the grow areas , BLEACH 100% kills mites and there eggs on contact just water it down a bit .

hope this was useful and good luck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I hope to hell I don't run across hemp russet mites, but if I do, I'm keeping track of how people treat them successfully.

Sulfur products, as is being reported currently, are the way to go with these pests, as I understand it.

You may want to read this: Hemp diseases and pest management.

M

MIway

That's a great book... over a hundred bucks if I remember correctly.

The website you linked has blank pages... is there a spot where the whole thing is visible?

((sorry to slightly change the subject here))

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Aw shit, it was a Google docs search on hemp russet mite eradication/control. If you use those search terms and hit "scholar" or only hit the non-canna links you should find it.

C

catchafish

Thanks for the help fellow farmers. I started this thread in hopes we could get some information gathered the combat these invaders. So i have been touring the local hydro shops asking questions about the eradication of these mites. Most shops want you to purchase there products that may or may not help or kill them. Anyway, the grandpas cough medicine consist of 1/2 cup dawn dish soap, 1/2 chew spit (can of chew steeped in hot water until cool), and 1/2 cup Listerine mouth wash. the recipe calls for the 2 oz of this mixture per 1 gallon of water. i as told to hit the plants every week for 3-4 weeks. i have seen less mites but can not seen to eradicate them. i think its not killing the eggs. i explained this to the only local hydro shop that wasn't shoving avid down my throat. they said switch the Listerine for hydrogen peroxide. has anyone heard of this recipe or should i get the cancer causing avid and be done with it. thanks for all the help and ideas farmers,
fish

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You know what? Fuck that shit, try dessicating them. You could try getting one of those plant dusters and dusting with diatomaceous earth (the type used for pest control), but if it were me I'd hit one of the plants with 91% ISO, starting at a 1:1 ratio (equal parts water + ISO), and increasing the rate of ISO if it doesn't harm the plants. Do it daily, see what those little fucks can withstand.

I've been reading up on these things lately and if we thought root aphids were bad, welcome to russet hemp mites. Dayumn!

C

catchafish

seamaiden, i personally think that this mite will be at epidemic stages here real soon. i think i contracted these from a bag of meds i got. i touched the med cuz it looks stellar but had a extremely harsh and funny taste to it. after medication i went in to the room and touched my plants. i could be being paranoid but no one goes in to the room except for myself. all plants of mine are from seed from attitude. i have no idea how i got them. but they are a pain to get rid of. could you tell me what ISO is and where it can be found? sorry if this is a ignorant question.

fish

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Rubbing alcohol. No worries, it's just that when I read about these things I want to cry like a little girl. Do the Google search I outlined above and take matters into your own hands with these other controls. I would also go ahead and use seaweed foliars, if for no other reason than to help the plants get good nutrition and perhaps smother the mites a bit. Include aspirin in that, in fact. Use one 325mg tablet/2gals water. And read this: Aspirin Water Helps Plants

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Asprin help keep the plants natural defenses at the top of their game!! I drop a few tablets in each rez.

green punk

green punk

I may be entirely wrong here. Not trying to hype the panic. I think these can continue to live on dry plant material. Meaning, anyone trafficking infested material read(weight) to an area can be moving these dudes around. They have been found here in Montucky too.

C

catchafish

Green punk, i think you are spot on. This is exactly how i think i contracted the mite (minus the trafficking-commercial growers in my area are being desecrated by this).

that being said i have lost my entire crop to the mite. I fought this mite with the "grandpa cough median". I did a weekly spray and it would knocked them down for a couple of days but they recolonize quickly. The local hydro shop said to use avid during veg and it should be OK if a person washes it off. I have never used it though.

deep buddy

deep buddy

co2 stratification will work as per ed s suggestion you need to take it really high and hold it for as long as possible. other than that ive heard of nothing that will do it. sorry to hear bout the loss bro its kinda freaky that these pests from the 1800s are all of the sudden back. i know of a couple other cases. but yeah im def going to be sealing my room and getting a burner. i just battled root aphids and almost lost everything. i would have been FUCKED bad. so its just the smartest thing i think. i would be super careful about getting those fuckers eradicated before starting again. good luck.

C

catchafish

Hello farmers, so i have been busy touring all the local hydro shops in search of what other people have been saying and how they have been fighting this mite. From what i could gather once contracted a person has a limited time to combat them. If in veg: abamectin or avid will put the hurt on them. All the shops said that they will build a tolerance to both if used alone so rotate the two. If in flower: early stage, abamectin was recommended. Mid to late stage, cut your losses was what i was told. every one said clean clean and clean again. one local farmer said to get the room to 150 degrees for as long as possible then follow up with 100% bleach spray and wipe everything down with that.
on a side note people are talking about the mite living in carpets for months. If anyone has any luck or have heard of anyone doing these treatments please comment. I'm hoping that we can derive a list of killing treatments. thanks for the help..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hello farmers, so i have been busy touring all the local hydro shops in search of what other people have been saying and how they have been fighting this mite. From what i could gather once contracted a person has a limited time to combat them. If in veg: abamectin or avid will put the hurt on them. All the shops said that they will build a tolerance to both if used alone so rotate the two. If in flower: early stage, abamectin was recommended. Mid to late stage, cut your losses was what i was told. every one said clean clean and clean again. one local farmer said to get the room to 150 degrees for as long as possible then follow up with 100% bleach spray and wipe everything down with that.
on a side note people are talking about the mite living in carpets for months. If anyone has any luck or have heard of anyone doing these treatments please comment. I'm hoping that we can derive a list of killing treatments. thanks for the help..
There are other products that can be used for disinfection/sterilization/sanitation. Physan 20 is a quarternary ammonium compound, completely appropriate in this scenario. Chlorhexidine is another one that's safe to use around sensitive plants (orchids) and animals (green tree python).

I would treat carpets using steam. Lots and lots of steam.

C

catchafish

Thanks for the advice everyone but, i have went on a war path on these little buggers.. I pull all carpets to the bare floors, bug bombed, and sprayed a 1:1 ratio of bleach and water spray from ceiling to floor. After all of that i turned all the lights on till room temp went to 158 before my temp gage went to 000's. I turned lights off and shut the door and have not entered the room since. Its been 2 weeks now and just debating if i want to bake a mite pie again or bleach solution spray??? I have the avid/abamection but, i understand that i will need a another rotation product. I heard that raw low fat milk ( unpasteurized) will work on this mite so i may try that. Anyone heard of this working. i will report back on the baking and bleaching of the rooms. I just don't want to spread this if it doesn't work....

Top Bottom