Sos ! Ph Of My Soil Low Any Help Appreciated.

• Thread starter newbie1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hate Life

Hate Life

Hey @newbie1, there is a nice article on Pro-Mix's website on methods to increase soil pH.
So if you do find yourself wanting to raise the pH your next run, this would be useful for you for when you are mixing up soil for your next batch.

Most agricultural application rates are 1 ton/acre, which translates to about 20 grams/square foot.
Do no top dress any liming materials as they do not penetrate more than an inch or two before reacting with the soil, you must mix thoroughly while the soil is dry.

In agricultural applications they till the soil 6-8 inches deep while their machines spread the lime to ensure they change the soil pH on the surface, which is mostly where soil acidification occurs.

The lower you go, the less acidic a soil is.

If you would like a little more depth about soil pH, and methods used, and also a breakdown on the different types of lime used, here is a link to application rates of lime (Oregon soils).

I felt obligated to post this, as I recently purchases a soil pH pen, and realized my soils pH was identical to yours.

I have noticed new growth is not as green as I would like it to be, or have seen on other grows, specifically outdoor crops.

And I would like my pH of the soil to be 6.5 at all times in between watering and feedings.

It would make total sense, and it would also save some money on nutrients if the pH is always in the specific zone where nutrients are most available to my plants.

This may interest me a little more than you as I reuse my soil and grow in beds.

hermit186

hermit186

If your have problems with your ph and using the more natural acids they are not strong enough to hold the Ph.
They brake down to fast and some use Phosphoric acid. I don't like the idea of killing my self and can never remember how to not let it get to hot. Other option is to buy the mixed ph down.
I don't do it and have changed to citric acid and mix and test my Nutrients the day before and let set 24hrs before I use it. Re PH before you use it more often than not you will have to adjust again. At this point in time I can tell you to the .1 gram of citric acid to lower the Ph from 6.0 to 5.8. Some dissolve in water but I don't using Jacks you seldom need to worry about it until just before reservoir change or the first 2 weeks of bloom. I use drip and 10% goes thru drain to my garden. It takes time to tweak 3-2-1 to fit your grow and situation I started with Fox farms and them mixed my own. Now I use Coco . I use moab which I also mix my self but after the first few times I mixed I started using a mixing drum and let it mix for 6 hrs. Now my moab is very consistent and it shows at the end. I don't have a big operation up 16 plants in flower at a time and 16 in veg. When I grew with canna I spent$350 to$450. with moab and blackstrap the most expensive thing I use is mixed silica. I have 3 grows with jacks and total cost was $285. I have my out put to 98% of canna. Learning how to I have it tasting like it says it will taste. I finish with 85% and up of the projected finish weight. Mostly I make mistakes just like everyone here.
I have told you this because your biggest problem will come with ph If you don't keep it from swinging you will see leaves with strange scale and the dying patches not necessarily on the edges. You have to be very careful the media will hold one nutrient while giving to much of another because of your chemistry. Most of the better mixes need no nutrients and no two batches take the same amount of time before they call for something. Remember when you add chemistry to your plant if it conflicts with the bag mix you use. You will start chasing your tail to correct the deficiency, and then another will show. You will be treating the deficiency and the C or P or Mg your upping is not the problem.
I learned this from Seamaden I was treating with Cal-Mg and slowely the N that comes with the Cal-Mg will lead you into the N toxicity and strangely shaped leaves and the claw.

Hate Life

Hate Life

10 grams/gallon of medium of "Dolomite Lime" if you want to raise the pH of your soil from 5.6 to 6.5.

This will last up to 3 months.

Other sources such as "Granulated Dolomite Lime" will last up to a year.

Use in conjunction with each other for best results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom