Sound insulation questions..

• Thread starter hbstoner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hbstoner

So sound and smell are my 2 main concerns in my new setup. I have a room that is drywalled/pink insulated. Im going to need some more sound proofing though because it can get pretty quiet in my neck of the woods and one of my grow room walls meets up with my neighbors backyard.

I have seen some people just gluing the 1" rigid board to drywall to cut out sound, I know that sound from the outside mainly comes from vibrations on the inside. Is it a good idea to use some kinda rubber mat inbetween the rigid board and the drywall? Something like this..

http://www.gretchken.com/rubber_products.htm

What are your techniques for killing all sound inside a grow room? Im planning on building boxes for the fans already, and using a silencer on the end of my ducts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

H

hbstoner

Also.. i have read that the rigid foam board insulation is not fireproof and requires another layer of drywall on top of it to create a fireproof surface. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Does it help sound that much?

R

Rolln J

if you have room build a wall 6 inches out from your current wall - thats one technique sound studios use - leave a couple inches air space in between - just like dual pane glass...

H

hbstoner

if you have room build a wall 6 inches out from your current wall - thats one technique sound studios use - leave a couple inches air space in between - just like dual pane glass...

Ya ive heard of that technique, my space is about 7'x20' so doing that would bring my room size down to like 5 1/2'x18 which might be doable. It doesnt really have to be 6 inches correct? Just any space between the 2 walls so the vibrations do not travel from the inside to the outside walls?

R

Rolln J

yeah Im sure even 1/2 inch would be fine - didnt realize 2 walls were involved - sounds like a big project!

H

hbstoner

yeah Im sure even 1/2 inch would be fine - didnt realize 2 walls were involved - sounds like a big project!

Ya not too huge, but wanna do it right the first time and make the room silent. I guess i will have to frame a couple of walls to keep the sound in. Anyone else with any soundproofing ( especially cheaper ways..) please chime in. Tnx rolln for the info.

B

been

Would you put a dollar sign on that cheapness for me? Insulation gets expensive. :cash

H

hbstoner

Would you put a dollar sign on that cheapness for me? Insulation gets expensive. :cash

Eh... id say anything over a grand would be pushing it. the room itself already has R-13 in the walls and R-30 in the celling.

H

hbstoner

Also another question for all of you that are good at building rooms like this. Is it possible to just use some kinda screws like this (not this exact screw)

http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...illing-Screw-with-Rubber-Washer-HOSSHJA-.html

So the new wall would be attached to the old wall.. but there would be this rubber washer where the two walls come together to stop vibrations from getting to the outside wall? Or is the only solution to build a whole new wall with an air gap between the new wall and the old wall?

J

Josey Wales

I think a bigger rubber washer/insulator on a longer screw, with the washer on the backside of the sheetrock, soundboard or whatever you are using. You basically want to build a room within a room with an air/insulation gap between them and the rubber would also help isolate it. Doors and windows I'll bet will be the problem regarding containing sound.

K

kushpheen

Your exhaust fan is probably going to cause the most noise, especially if you have digital ballasts. I hang my fan with rubber tubing which is then screwed into the ceiling, this cuts almost all vibration noise. Next I double layer my ducting with thick acoustic insulated ducting. My fan is ninja quiet after that. If its just the one wall your thinking will be a potential problem, you can build an inner wall, stagger you studs and weave insulation between the studs. Finally choose the thickest drywall possible and double layer it.

Top Bottom