Source Turbo tinctures-oils & shatter (methanol/alcohol extraction)

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
When you, oh let's say you are mixing up a batch of mash, you got your corn, sugar and malaise.
You let that sit for a week, 10 days or so.
During that time it begins to burp and fart CO2 as the sugar consumes the corn and produces a plethora of alcohol's and ketones.
You filter that off, pour into your distillation vessels, attach a condenser and start the process of separating the good alcohol (ethanol) from all of the bad ones.
During the distilling process, as liquid heats up a flow of liquids and gas begin to come over to your collection vessel.
If you are expecting say 2 gallons of product you would let approx. A qourt to collect then replace this vessel wit a new larger one and this will be the beginning of the "good" product and then towards the end, "tails" you again replace your vessel with a smaller one to catch the end products.
The heads and tails are no good, but I do use them for solvents.
I hope this makes since.

Oh , and as for the ethanol, we use it for extractions and tincture etc.

Got it. Now i recognize the term.

The boys on Moonshiners make that point with ever cook. I think Popcorn actually used those exact words. Popcorn Sutton, the old timer that went off into the woods and died rather than go to jail for his hooch. Popcorn Sutton --> He is a legend in NC & TN.

Thank You. 😎 🍻

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Today was the last of the distillation process;

The photos below are after the last of solution has been added to the crucible and distilled down.

This is about an hour before shut off.

20200118 222820
2020 01 19 10 00 11
20200118 171105
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
here is a zip i winterized overnight with dry ice. after purge its flaky crystal like. i will warm it again once i'm ready for collection.

IMG 6207 2
IMG 4005 2
IMG 4466
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i lack a lot of the tools you guys have so here are some pics of my process. these are out of order but
there is a 1st purge and then a 2nd on a low hot plate. then into a silicone container and back into the source and i run it
day as a 105 degree vacuum.

IMG 4229 2
IMG 2316 2
IMG 3849 2
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
this is the best batch i have ran as of yet, although it is only my 3rd attempt mind you. as i said i lack a nice funnel that will help and a decent vacuum pump chamber. so any way i purged this batch over and over using hacks and old school tricks etc, and well i just can not get that everclear taste out of the end product. it's not a ton but it it is there on the back end for sure on exhale, just a taste. in all i may have gotten a little over 2 grams of concentrate and hours of work, can it be worth it? i could barter wax cheaper and better? but just as my mama never quit getting married, i ain't gonna quit yet either!!

so a nice funnel as AA has shown us
vacuum pump
food grade 200 proof alcohol
and perhaps wax grade favoring?

i'm assuming there is a wood oil in the pure grain that is bonding to the thc oils ? hmmm

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Proof-of-Concept drawing to a close!!

This is the result of being in the vac for 48 hours at 108-115 degrees(F).

The largest blob seems stable (shown 5 min out of vac), but some of the other still oily. Going to do another 12-24 hours just to see if there is significant change in the stability of either the solid or the liquid.
🍻

20200124 084046
20200124 084021
20200124 084434
20200124 084307
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I've got 5 oz. of lower bud. I need to do something with it.

I would love to help just for the experience. It seems like a worthwhile investment. This seems like it will be reasonable process if i can increase my yield & quality from the wash. Now that the process has been validated; it is time to work out the nitty-gritty details of a protocol. Oh Boy!! 😲

Oh, and i have decided to switch to Methanol. 200 proof instead of alcohol. Out of an abundance of caution. 🍻

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
glad to see your progress! how long was your wash time? i did a 3 min with a stir and it made my mix foamy so to speak. i feel like shorter washes would help with color, have you smoked any yet?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
glad to see your progress! how long was your wash time? i did a 3 min with a stir and it made my mix foamy so to speak. i feel like shorter washes would help with color, have you smoked any yet?

No, but i just walked through the door. With the day i have had, I'll let you know in about 20 min. 😁 😎

oh, wash time was 3 min. however this was the second wash (i froze it right after if finished the first wash) of trim. Pretty sure that is why it is so dark. Going to order Methanol and get hold of an ounce and see what happens.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Before I left this morning I flipped the little pattie and put it back in the vac. It seems like that was a good idea. It has now been setting and baking for an additional 8 hours. I have just turned off the vac and heat so i have to let it cool a little before i toke up!

brb 🍻 🤗

damn, check that idea!! i just checked the vac and the shit is still popping bubbles. Guess i'm gonna continue to wait for that smoke.... bummer.. ☹ fits with the rest of my day.....

20200124 090955
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Remove from Vac & Smoke Test:

Well it stopped bubbling about 20 minutes ago and i turned off the heat and started reducing the vac.
My first take is that the flip and additional 8 hours did the trick. I was able to remove all with by simply sliding a razor blade along the silicone surface. One large chunk and two smaller.

I held the large chunk on the end of my finger for over a minute and it did not deform. ! Also balanced it on the end of a razor blade and it did not bend under its own weight. Pretty stable shit.

I ran a couple of pieces through my dab rig. The smoke was smooth as glass (very little choke) but not much on taste. Not a bad taste, but little to, no taste. The buzz was ok, but will try again in the morning with a fresh head and see how it does.

all in all; not bad for a second wash of trim. 🍻 🤞

Looking forward to the next run.....🏃‍♂️

20200124 191113
20200124 190958
20200124 190905
20200124 190926
20200124 191130
20200124 191211
20200124 191311
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ready for the next run... Still experimenting....

I have placed a special order for a half pound of quality tops that should be ready in a week or two. In the meantime I am going to do another run (or two) while I wait.

Can't decide which i want to drop in the freezer. Also since i now have both Methanol and 99.5 Alcohol i may do equivalent weight washes and see what the differences are. The only fair way to do that would be to use the same envelope for both runs. Now I have to decide which.

I will drop all three into the chest freezer this morning along with the Alcohol, until i decide tomorrow evening (hopefully with your help) 🍻 😎

As always, thanks for your help fellow Farmers..

20200201 072648
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
what temp are you shooting for during your freeze? i used dry ice last run and i think i may have over froze it, if that's possible? i will say it worked great for prepping the wash solution, but not so much the post wash if that makes sense.

i did some moon rocks with a run and had great results. the nug and kelf removed any trace or hint of that green taste for lack of a better word. as i finished it on a mat i placed my nugs on it and made 'roll ups' then roll in the keef. impress your friends and show em how mayans build shit!! 🤪

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ready for the next run... Still experimenting....

I have placed a special order for a half pound of quality tops that should be ready in a week or two. In the meantime I am going to do another run (or two) while I wait.

Can't decide which i want to drop in the freezer. Also since i now have both Methanol and 99.5 Alcohol i may do equivalent weight washes and see what the differences are. The only fair way to do that would be to use the same envelope for both runs. Now I have to decide which.

I will drop all three into the chest freezer this morning along with the Alcohol, until i decide tomorrow evening (hopefully with your help) 🍻 😎

As always, thanks for your help fellow Farmers..

Come-on' Ozark pick one... 🙂

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
did i mention that part i read about over cooking? anyway i read somewhere that once the larger bubbles change to small outside ones, its time to pull it as we are cooking it off the bubbles are trapped CO2 ? i dunno but i tried it and it made a difference in color and sight taste. i'm convinced the stuff i buy that taste so good has had terps added back into it for favor./

Top Bottom