Source Turbo tinctures-oils & shatter (methanol/alcohol extraction)

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

I think you are going to have a hard time finding something that will gravity feed a liquid that thick. Heated maybe; a big maybe. Especially without a vacuum. In the filter that i am using the fitted glass filter comes in three sizes; all of which the mfg says will have a problem gravity feeding even water without a vacuum. To that end you could go with the type that does not have the glass insert (much cheaper) and then try to find the correct ashless filter paper to fit it. The best place to find metal screens is acutally BVV. They have screens from 1in to i believe 6in and just about every mesh size you could want.

btw. a cheap lab quality vacuum (will not cause a spark) can be found on amazon for around 40 bucks (check the post earlier in this thread).
Trying not to hyjack this thread, so please bare with me, when the oil (coconut oil) is over 80º or so it flows pretty well even through said paper coffee filter but do think I’ll borrow/adapt your vacuum method, thanks again.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Trying not to hyjack this thread, so please bare with me, when the oil (coconut oil) is over 80º or so it flows pretty well even through said paper coffee filter but do think I’ll borrow/adapt your vacuum method, thanks again.

Dan; anything goes in the thread. no worries. we are all here to learn from one another. The more the merrier and it's a shit-load more fun. 🍻 Feel free to hang-out and let us know what you are up to. I also make body butter and my ruma-tiz balm since i'm an old fucker with lots of aches and pains. So you see you are in the right place after all.

p.s. a lot of folks use cheesecloth. I use an old cotton t-shirt (white, no dyes) to strain my mix of seven different oils to make my body butter. I use a potato masher to strain out the weed when i make the ruma-tiz balm.

All are welcome. If we get a jerk, we'll talk to the moderator about it when the time comes.

S P E A K ! ! !

Dan789

Dan789

So off on the right, thats what I use to wring tincture out of the cheese cloth, then when making the coconut oil caps, use the coffee filter with a paper filter inside to do the secondary filtering. Then the turkey baster to draw up the hot infused coconut oil from the pan on a hot plate, to keep everything soluble and then inject into the caps setting in the bullet carrier, so I’m not chasing them all over the work bench or table...got to get a better shot...

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Buddy of mine just got one of these and we ran it a couple weeks ago. Cool machine, but took all weekend to evap half of his run.

Yeah, they make a unit that hold 4 liters for $2K That is a lot of weed 🤗

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
here’s some stuff i made this week from pop corn sized bc big buds i grew. i followed all the normal steps. the top one is more crumble as i stirred it some while hot and the other is more taffy like. neither holds a hint of alcohol and both are straight heaters!!
down side is my return was about 2.5% on a OZ! ouch i’ve read 3-4 is average for this system style of extraction. maybe BHO would be a route for someone like myself that smoke a lot of concentrations. other dig the rosin but my buddy does it and it never gets me as high as other methods?

44E5E86C FB92 4A0A AC5E F6861A6DF6DF
8F6F6967 FBAC 4884 B033 78305A3608E4
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
some more of that BCBB crumble i made using the source. i dig the crumble as i can use is a topping for other stuff i smoke. i found the trick with the crumble is to spread the oil out thinly and allow it to air purge for several days. no fans no real light or heat.

IMG 6177
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Been watching and following the posts in this thread, props for all the information to all @ozarkgrey @AnselAdams & @SkunkyDunk . I'm looking to simplify/hasten a filtering of a coconut oil infusion that I then make into caps. This buchner funnel/vacuum extraction maybe something I could adapt, go get away from my mcgiver set up, also to speed things up. Any thoughts on the screen mesh size that would allow filtering of the oil, without getting too clogged with the fine sediment that I get after straining the rough mixture with the magic butter maker 190 micron screen? Get that it would be smaller, but don't want to go so far that it clogs. Without using a vacuum and just gravity, a paper coffee filter clogs up fast in that quest, hence the question...

Have you tried a cone-shaped deep fryer filter? The oil only has to be hot enough to be liquid to get through, and they're excellent filters.

Are you using flower or concentrates to make the capsules?

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i use a screen coffee filter with great success for my 1st pass and the add a coffee filter for my second pass then i pop it back into the freeze to help separate the fats yet again. i find the biggest trick with this thing is to purge early and not expect the source to be the be all it says it is. getting that everclear taste out is more work than it's worth, if like me. you smoke concentrates full time,look elsewhere like rosin and bho.
@Dan789 im confused, are you filtering the oil and coconut at the same time? most of the funnels come with paper filters on different mesh sizes. so buy a few and test em out. i've seen guys use the vac on the source to power the funnels as opposed to buying another pump. i quit using mine altogether and went too blowing BHO.
BOL

Dan789

Dan789

i use a screen coffee filter with great success for my 1st pass and the add a coffee filter for my second pass then i pop it back into the freeze to help separate the fats yet again. i find the biggest trick with this thing is to purge early and not expect the source to be the be all it says it is. getting that everclear taste out is more work than it's worth, if like me. you smoke concentrates full time,look elsewhere like rosin and bho.
@Dan789 im confused, are you filtering the oil and coconut at the same time? most of the funnels come with paper filters on different mesh sizes. so buy a few and test em out. i've seen guys use the vac on the source to power the funnels as opposed to buying another pump. i quit using mine altogether and went too blowing BHO.
BOL
Yes, coconut oil infused with MJ. Copy that I’m already using the 190 micron bag out of my magic butter maker for the first pass, then a paper coffee filters and cone. That’s where the problem crops up, the paper gets clogged up with the sediment and then I’ve got to fuck around with it, to get the last 6 oz. to filter. The last time while doing that, it slipped out of my control and I had the whole batch spill on everything. My shoes have never smelled better and quite glossy...Lol.
Seeing @AnselAdams rig in #4, got me thinking, but because it’s oil i need something without the permanent filter, where I can take the whole apparatus apart for cleaning. This is what I’ll eventually purchase when I’m ready to do another coconut infused capsule run...Along with a small vacuum pump.
PS I might even spring for a lab rack also as the thought off a pile of broken borosilicate glass on the floor doesn’t appeal to me...
https://www.amazon.com/Laboratory-Filtration-Distillation-Apparatus-Graduated/dp/B07W8ZCVTG

Last edited:
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

the paper gets clogged up with the sediment and then I’ve got to fuck around with it, to get the last 6 oz. to filter.

That's exactly where the deep fryer filter would come in handy. That as a first pass, then put the whole batch through a smaller filter, will be much faster and you won't have to mess with it as much.

Dan789

Dan789

That's exactly where the deep fryer filter would come in handy. That as a first pass, then put the whole batch through a smaller filter, will be much faster and you won't have to mess with it as much.
What I'm talking about is the very fine residue, that collects at the bottom. That has passed through the 190 micron bag screen, and the metal coffee screen cone, then going through the paper coffee filter clogs that up. I believe it to be mostly composed of the spent trichomes...

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
What I'm talking about is the very fine residue, that collects at the bottom. That has passed through the 190 micron bag screen, and the metal coffee screen cone, then going through the paper coffee filter clogs that up. I believe it to be mostly composed of the spent trichomes...

I believe to trap that you are going to be around 20-75 microns there is a mesh conversion chart somewhere. I think in the first page or two of this thread. If not let me know and i'll go fish it out. 🍻 🥂

How many microns are trichomes?
Trichome glands are in diameters of 20 to 120 microns, which correspond with the most commonly used screens. The larger micron sizes capture the entire capillary-stalked trichomes (90- 120 microns), while the smaller micron sizes (20-40 microns) isolate the glands from the stalks.

Found It!! on page 2 Item #24
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/s...thanol-alcohol-extraction.109055/post-2346503

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Here is the list of oils i combine to create my weedless body butter (smelly stuff, totally inert).

I make a body balm using just coconut oil, weed and arrow root & bees wax.

That is 12oz of bees wax at the top left corner (almost off screen).

20180822 143936
Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Cattapilla said:
Hi Ansel, I've been reading you for awhile and there is always something to learn. I'm new at this, and now have a few ounces of weed to experiment with. I have the Ardent for decarbing and making small batches of oil/butter. Will you share your recipes of your body butter and your other ointment? I have trouble with my knees and would rather have a recipe that really works. Thanks so much!

Why sho...

I make two different types one for oiling the skin from head to toe using 8 different types of oil, but no weed. I add orange ginger and or combine orange and ginger essential oils.

Now for my body balm.... that is simple.

48oz coconut oil
1/4 pound of weed (adjustable along with the oil)
4 table spoons of arrow root
(tried to create something that could scale easily)

in a double boiler melt the oil (do not over heat, look up melting point of coconut oil on the google and go no more than 5-10 degrees higher.

I break down the weed until is reasonably loose, nothing larger than a pistachio. Once the oil is to temp i drop weed into it and let it steep for about 20 minutes (cell walls will break and the oil will turn a bit green to brown, it is ok, add some essential oil if the smell is an issue). Just before you are ready to strain, add the arrow root (it makes it go on easy and does not leave a greasy feeling after being applied).

Now the tricky part. I use a potato smasher, where i have taken an old t-shirt (1 layer, save the other layer for later) lined the smasher and using a large spoon or otherwise scoop out the weed into the smasher and SMASH! Pull the cloth out dump it in the garbage, and repeat until you have gotten as much green out of the oil as possible.

Next, I use a large strainer in a large bowl, again lined with my t-shirt filter (two layers this time, the original and the other half that wan't used); and pour the hot liquid through that lined strainer. When finished, throw the filter and all of the material in the trash.

Now to prep the deodorant containers you purchased from amazon (4oz round or oval). Take a baking pan and fill it with ice. Set the containers in the ice (oh yeah, the ice should cover the lower third of the containers). I then pour the oil into a small measuring cup and then fill the waiting containers to the top (it will cool and shrink back). When you have filled all of the containers; place the entire pan in the fridge or just wait about 3 hours for everything to come to room temp.

Then use as needed. This makes approx. 12 4oz sticks. adjust the weed for stronger or weaker balm. 🍻 🥂

Everything was purchased on Amazon.

Good Luck! come on back to the thread and let us know how things went.

AnselAdams said:
Would you mind if i posted this to the thread so others can see as well?

Oh, I forgot to add 12 ounces of yellow bees wax, so also remove 12 oz of coconut oil from the cook. The bees wax will make the entire stick room temp stable (even travels well in briefcase (don't leave it in the car though lol).

Thanks for the request @Cattapilla 🥂

Do you decarb the weed?

Yes,

Last edited:
Cattapilla

Cattapilla

Hi guys, being new to the grow scene with nobody around to show me the ropes except for here, I tried the Ardent Nova because I have small grows, and the decarbed weed is added back in with butter or oil for infusions, and it works great for me. It only holds about a cup of weed. It would be a waste of time for anyone that wanted to make 2 - 3 cups of butter or oil, it's just not big enough. For now, this works perfectly for someone that can't get through a batch of gummies in weeks! I make a cup of canna butter or canna oil at a time. My gummy skills suck, also. :( I have not evolved to making body butters yet. My next step will be to make a tincture that works. My first tincture was super weak, I didn't leave the weed in the jar, I did an ice-shake procecss and threw out the weed. My everclear is only 60% alcohol, which might have been part of the problem.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Hi guys, being new to the grow scene with nobody around to show me the ropes except for here, I tried the Ardent Nova because I have small grows, and the decarbed weed is added back in with butter or oil for infusions, and it works great for me. It only holds about a cup of weed. It would be a waste of time for anyone that wanted to make 2 - 3 cups of butter or oil, it's just not big enough. For now, this works perfectly for someone that can't get through a batch of gummies in weeks! I make a cup of canna butter or canna oil at a time. My gummy skills suck, also. :( I have not evolved to making body butters yet. My next step will be to make a tincture that works. My first tincture was super weak, I didn't leave the weed in the jar, I did an ice-shake procecss and threw out the weed. My everclear is only 60% alcohol, which might have been part of the problem.

Hey Cattapilla! Welcome to the thread!
  • I believe @SkunkyDunk can be most helpful with your gummy exploits.
  • I think most of the folks here are working with or have worked with small quantities so you are in the right place.
  • I have made several batches of body butter & body balm (targeted muscle balm). Currently; I am personally chasing the snappy shatter monster using Alcohol/Methanol w/vacuum chamber.
  • There is lots of Alcohol & Methanol folks here as well.
To your last point ". . . My everclear is only 60% alcohol, which might have been part of the problem." is correct. Your alcohol has too much water at 60%. Minimum is 70% with much better results the higher percentage you go (less water). There is lots of discussion on which is better (methanol vs alcohol), read, ask questions and make your own decision.

Ask away, as i said in the opening post. There is no such thing as a stupid question; except the one you don't ask.... 😄 Welcome to this world of ours.

One last thing, we value individual opinions but we trash flamers!!! 🍻🥂😎 Actually we just ban them and move on..... Life is too short...

Happy Farming!!!

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Ive got a quart of tincture now that is high octane!
Made with my own shine, 1 tbs. Is the dose, all day and all night with a little left over for in the morning.

Top Bottom