Sourcing Organic Composting Materials

• Thread starter DopeSnob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DopeSnob

There's no feedstores in my area so, i cant get organic hay. Local shops sell the stuff with tack. Mostly evergreens around me so sourcing leaves is not easy. I do have access to lawn clippings from yards that are half grass and half sphagnum. I've been told that peat wont grow with chemical fertilizers/pesticides but, is there any truth to that?

D

DopeSnob

Thanks for a reply! How long would you say pine needles take to break down for you?

indicabush

indicabush

Thanks for a reply! How long would you say pine needles take to break down for you?

Pine needles take a while to break down even at high temperatures, they are also acidic. If you intend to use them as compost I personally wouldn't use more than 10% in the mix. Please remember that the bacteria used to break down your matter will be affected by the the acidity, that's why I wouldn't use more than 10%. Also consider Pine shavings and if you do...throw some additional Nitrogen in to speed up the composting. I have used chicken poop in the past for the Nitrogen.

Hope this helps.

Freshone

Freshone

wood chips, newspaper, paper towels, pine needles, manure, egg shells, teabags, coffee grinds, etc
Throw some green grass clippings in and your styling.keep the pile moist,time to finish depends on time of year and temperature,hotter shorter,colder longer.Also consider worm farms for castings.
Look around for a master composter class,good luck!

SpiderK

SpiderK

start a compost pile in a black garbage bag \, construction grade you can roll around a bit ....grass, find a field with wild grass no trees. take the first one, two inches... add some of this. good stuff egg shells, coffee grounds, sticks .... from oak trees.

Freshone

Freshone

Ime everything good that grows in compost needs air,even the tumblers are not as good as an open air pile.Try screwing 3 or 4 pallets together,pile also needs to be turned 3 or 4 times a month.

indicabush

indicabush

Ime everything good that grows in compost needs air,even the tumblers are not as good as an open air pile.Try screwing 3 or 4 pallets together,pile also needs to be turned 3 or 4 times a month.

Big fan of pallets for composting.

D

DopeSnob

Thanks for all the replies, still no one know about sphagnum not being able to take any chemical ferts/pesticides? & didnt rodale determine that pine needles lose their acidity rather quickly, with their high lignin content being why they take so long to break down? Im not looking for nutrient inputs. All that is predeterminded and i wont be adding any scraps to the mix(egg shells, coffee grounds, etc). Just need a good carbon source that not hindered by having too much lignin. And now a days i do all my composting in very large smart pots!
Edit: Plan on intruducing worms when the thermophilic phase is cooled down.

Last edited:
indicabush

indicabush

There are some studies out there to support that claim (chemical ferts/pestides).

Lignin is part of all plant matter or am I mistaken. If you want a carbon source with no lignin then sugar comes to mind.

D

DopeSnob

Any links or names for me to start at? Lignin is present in all plant matter, its just much higher in pine needles, oak leaves, wood, etc. its & its harder for the soil life to break down. If i had the time and space i'd make wood compost but i do not.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Eat lots of produce, mellons, bananas and things that have a little waste to build up your pile. Bigger piles work better. I also found a recycling place in my town where people just toss their cardboard boxes. I shred those up. Everything needs to be 1-2" in size to work best. In my region of the country, arid rocky mtns, you want a 50% carbon to 50% nitrogen ratio. Other parts of the country you may want 70% carbon.

If you want to compost manure, use a different pile. Your cold compost from your house scraps will work best alone. Manure can toss your pile out of wack.

I'm a huge fan of red wiggler worms. I turn my regular pile for a month or two and then put it in my outdoor worm bin that is open to the ground, basically a raised garden bed with a lid. I toss in some handfuls of gypsum and then cover the top of the compost with wet towels. If they dry out, then I rewet. With the half finsished compost the worms go to town like I have never seen. They multiply like mad and start giving you harvestable compost in a few weeks...assuming your worm population is healthy, which doesn't take long with this method. I take a 1/4" mesh screen and shake the compost on top, the finished stuff falls through. The quality is amazing if using homemade food scraps. Worms, all the way.

Top Bottom