Southern Cali (Inland)High Temps Shade vs. Sun

• Thread starter Scoopaloop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scoopaloop

Scoopaloop

Hello Everyone! Im in Southern Ca. Inland. Temps are 100°right now every day. She seems to be doing good. Although I"m afraid she's going to get heat stressed. The light meter is pegged. I put her in the shade and light matter goes halfway. So... I assume even in the shade, she is getting some kind of light. If I have to put in shade from 12 pm - 4 pm, will this render Vegetation growth? This plant wasn't planned she popped up in a pot I had with old old soil in it. I don't feel she's doing too bad, with having a rough start. I was out of state for 3 weeks but noticed her when I came back. 1st pic was taken a few days ago, last 2 today

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Hello Everyone! Im in Southern Ca. Inland. Temps are 100°right now every day. She seems to be doing good. Although I"m afraid she's going to get heat stressed. The light meter is pegged. I put her in the shade and light matter goes halfway. So... I assume even in the shade, she is getting some kind of light. If I have to put in shade from 12 pm - 4 pm, will this render Vegetation growth? This plant wasn't planned she popped up in a pot I had with old old soil in it. I don't feel she's doing too bad, with having a rough start. I was out of state for 3 weeks but noticed her when I came back. 1st pic was taken a few days ago, last 2 today
Looks like your pics didn't post, just fyi.

In my experience, putting plants in a shady spot mid-season can be a toss-up. Sometimes that's just enough to trigger flowering.

If the plants aren't showing explicit signs of stress, I would just make sure they're staying properly hydrated and keep on keepin' on. These plants can handle quite a bit believe it or not. Especially if you happen to be in an area with a lot of Co2 like a city - sometimes higher temps actually help the plants flourish a little more.

If you do need some shade, I would buy a shade cloth rated at no more than 50%, any higher you chance putting your plants into an early flower.

Some typical signs of heat stress can be leaves "praying" (pointing upwards) and more extreme symptoms like "tacoing" (where the leaves curl up and look like tacos). If they're not "tacoing" I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Scoopaloop

Scoopaloop

IMG 20230717 123548
20230717 123154 HDR
20230717 123144 HDR

Looks like your pics didn't post, just fyi.

In my experience, putting plants in a shady spot mid-season can be a toss-up. Sometimes that's just enough to trigger flowering.

If the plants aren't showing explicit signs of stress, I would just make sure they're staying properly hydrated and keep on keepin' on. These plants can handle quite a bit believe it or not. Especially if you happen to be in an area with a lot of Co2 like a city - sometimes higher temps actually help the plants flourish a little more.

If you do need some shade, I would buy a shade cloth rated at no more than 50%, any higher you chance putting your plants into an early flower.

Some typical signs of heat stress can be leaves "praying" (pointing upwards) and more extreme symptoms like "tacoing" (where the leaves curl up and look like tacos). If they're not "tacoing" I wouldn't worry about it too much.
IMG 20230717 123548
IMG 20230717 123548
20230717 123154 HDR
20230717 123144 HDR

Scoopaloop

Scoopaloop

They do start to taco a bit, these pics were taken early in the day. Suppose to be 104 and 106 all next week. I will try the cloth. I see the photos, I think i just put them on twice🤔🤷🤦😵‍💫. If you pleaae let me know if you see photos now🤗
Thank you, for your time!
Appreciate it!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
If you pleaae let me know if you see photos now🤗
Thank you, for your time!
Appreciate it!

Yup they posted now.

That's not bad they're not as stressed as you might think. When they're really tacoing the leaves will curl up and look like cigars, little tubes rolled up on the sides sort of lookin'..

When you water, are you completely soaking those pots? It helps to do so. Don't just water a little bit and leave dry spots in the pot, completely saturate it from top to bottom, inside out. That is proper watering technique. Then give them time to dry out a little. When they're about 80% dried out again, water again. Overwatering is not watering too much at one time, it's watering too often. A lot of people get that part confused.

Those pots look plenty big enough for the plants so if you water them in completely it will help the plants deal with the heat a lot more, and the heat is going to help those pots dry out a little faster, so completely saturating them is a good idea especially in the peak of the summer like we're at now, with high heat and abundant sunshine.

Scoopaloop

Scoopaloop

Well I guess the second tim is the charm! I overwatered, over fertilized, didnt protect from pests my first time. 🤣 I took care of what not to do. But, with the heat I always put in the shade, hoping I could avoid it, my second time around.I'm using better fert. and recording when i feed, or I'll forget. I love this NPK Raw line and the promix. My ph has been steady, my first time it was all over the place. Fingers crossed I dont jack her up! 🤣

Thanks again,
Stay Cool 😎✌️
Sandy

Scoopaloop

Scoopaloop

Yup they posted now.

That's not bad they're not as stressed as you might think. When they're really tacoing the leaves will curl up and look like cigars, little tubes rolled up on the sides sort of lookin'..

When you water, are you completely soaking those pots? It helps to do so. Don't just water a little bit and leave dry spots in the pot, completely saturate it from top to bottom, inside out. That is proper watering technique. Then give them time to dry out a little. When they're about 80% dried out again, water again. Overwatering is not watering too much at one time, it's watering too often. A lot of people get that part confused.

Those pots look plenty big enough for the plants so if you water them in completely it will help the plants deal with the heat a lot more, and the heat is going to help those pots dry out a little faster, so completely saturating them is a good idea especially in the peak of the summer like we're at now, with high heat and abundant sunshine.

Well she's been doing good! The picture of partial plant if youate able yo look.... Some if the newer leaves are coming out a tad twisted I only saw one photo online with similar look. I just feed them, not sure if overfed, or Cal Mag issue?
20230725 080830
20230725 085211 HDR

Top Bottom