Soybean Meal Vs Blood Meal

• Thread starter slap14
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

slap14

I was wondering if I could use Soybean meal as a replacement for Blood Meal and/or High N Guano. Just trying to get away from the animal products but still get some N in there. I would also look at Cottonseed Meal but from what I read it lowers the soil PH and thats not something I want. I do recycle my soil just as an FYI if that makes a difference. Would you use the same amount of Soybean meal as you would Blood meal?

Soybean Meal =7-1-2
Blood meal = 12-0-0
Bat Guano = 9-3-1
Cotton Seed Meal = 6-2-1 - Lowers PH:(

I use DTE products
http://downtoearthfertilizer.com/products/single-ingredients/

Any opinions would be appreciated

Slap

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I would follow the application rates on the package. If pre-mixing into your soil that's 2-4 tbsps per gallon of soil. I don't use blood or bone meals anymore as they attract critters. Don't seem to have the same problems with guanos. I love guanos, specifically high P guanos, but have made an effort to find ethically sourced guanos.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was wondering if I could use Soybean meal as a replacement for Blood Meal and/or High N Guano. Just trying to get away from the animal products but still get some N in there. I would also look at Cottonseed Meal but from what I read it lowers the soil PH and thats not something I want. I do recycle my soil just as an FYI if that makes a difference. Would you use the same amount of Soybean meal as you would Blood meal?
I don't see why you can't move away from the animal products, but it looks like you'd have to use double the amount of soybean meal to get the same amount of N as the blood meal.

shemshemet

shemshemet

When figuring out a soil mix, I find that 'minor' nutrients are just as important in calculation as N-P-K.

An example would be the iron content of blood meal compared to soybean meal 1992ppm vs. 120ppm

:)

S

slap14

When figuring out a soil mix, I find that 'minor' nutrients are just as important in calculation as N-P-K.

An example would be the iron content of blood meal compared to soybean meal 1992ppm vs. 120ppm

A very valid point my friend:)

Thanks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

AND..! I've got Fe- goin' on in my cantaloupe. I've been pushing greensand as it's powdered, but it's not enough and not fast enough. I'm getting my blood meal on today! Thanks for the reminder. :D

shemshemet

shemshemet

No problem! I use greensand as a 'soil conditioner' more than any nutrient value. Didn't actually calculate any of the micros into my mix....maybe I should've!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't remember if it's SRT or greensand that takes a while to become available, do you? This is in our AP system. We actually became victims of our own success a couple of weeks ago, had to tear out a tomato plant that had clogged one of the beds and caused anoxic conditions.

Top Bottom