spain calling

• Thread starter sparkycow1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sparkycow1

hi to all the farmers out there been livin in southern spain for 10 years and using the sun to the best of its power,i used to use greenhouse seeds at first but started having problems with hermaphrodites ,then i moved to sweet seeds and do still use them but i have found for every 5 seeds planted ,there will be 2 mutants that dont do anything,recently i have just used royal queen seeds to very good results however i did get a lot of problems with catterpillars in the buds if anyone has any tips on how to keep these little f***ers away i would be very grateful,also any good strain information always welcome all the best sparky

Papa

Papa

Supporter
welcome to the farm sparkycow1!

check out thcbay for seeds!

caligirl

caligirl

hi to all the farmers out there been livin in southern spain for 10 years and using the sun to the best of its power,i used to use greenhouse seeds at first but started having problems with hermaphrodites ,then i moved to sweet seeds and do still use them but i have found for every 5 seeds planted ,there will be 2 mutants that dont do anything,recently i have just used royal queen seeds to very good results however i did get a lot of problems with catterpillars in the buds if anyone has any tips on how to keep these little f***ers away i would be very grateful,also any good strain information always welcome all the best sparky

caligirl

caligirl

i also had a huge problem with catepillars my last outdoor grow. Next summer i think i will try netting small enough to keep the damn moths out - may be a bit of a nuisance though. As far as strains, i must say, indoors and out, casey jones has a great, problem free, consistant grow. Had trouble with all my tga strains molding, mildew and mites. Going to give them another shot indoors and hope i have better luck than outdoors.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There are a couple of ways to deal with the caterpillars. One method is to rotate using some biological controls, I use something called Safers Caterpillar Spray, which is a concoction of Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria. These bacteria, when ingested by the caterpillar, give it an awful stomach ache and kill it. The other product is Monterey Garden Spray with Spinosad in it. You can also try tenting, but you'll have to be EXTREMELY diligent about keeping it closed at all times or you could end up with a huge population of pest species, with no way for beneficial/pest-eating species to get in and do their work.

Apply these preventative sprays every two weeks as soon as buds begin to form, the very first pistils.

Also, know that darker and more purple strains tend to get hit hardest, so you could try planting trap crops such as dark-colored Indian corns. I like to grow Indian corn varieties because I some family members who go gluten-free and heirloom corns are perfect. They make very ugly cornbread, but just one bite and you'll be a convert! Hooker's is a great corn for this, as it grows a bit taller, is fantastic to eat sweet (green, unripe), or can be left on the stalk to dry in situ for harvest later. Seeds are viable once dried, and can be parched or ground. Parching is a bit like popping except it doesn't pop.

S

sparkycow1

i also had a huge problem with catepillars my last outdoor grow. Next summer i think i will try netting small enough to keep the damn moths out - may be a bit of a nuisance though. As far as strains, i must say, indoors and out, casey jones has a great, problem free, consistant grow. Had trouble with all my tga strains molding, mildew and mites. Going to give them another shot indoors and hope i have better luck than outdoors.
thanks for replying yeah i have thought about netting but i dont know at what stage the moths lay there eggs on the plant????,another question if you dont mind i grow here in big plastic barrels and the heat here gets to about 40degrees in the summer do you think i would be better off digging holes in the grond and filling with substrate for the plants to go in,my average this year was about 400g dry and can defo say special queen from royal queen seeds is a very nice plant but as usual always lookin for something better thanks for the help

S

sparkycow1

There are a couple of ways to deal with the caterpillars. One method is to rotate using some biological controls, I use something called Safers Caterpillar Spray, which is a concoction of Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria. These bacteria, when ingested by the caterpillar, give it an awful stomach ache and kill it. The other product is Monterey Garden Spray with Spinosad in it. You can also try tenting, but you'll have to be EXTREMELY diligent about keeping it closed at all times or you could end up with a huge population of pest species, with no way for beneficial/pest-eating species to get in and do their work.

Apply these preventative sprays every two weeks as soon as buds begin to form, the very first pistils.

Also, know that darker and more purple strains tend to get hit hardest, so you could try planting trap crops such as dark-colored Indian corns. I like to grow Indian corn varieties because I some family members who go gluten-free and heirloom corns are perfect. They make very ugly cornbread, but just one bite and you'll be a convert! Hooker's is a great corn for this, as it grows a bit taller, is fantastic to eat sweet (green, unripe), or can be left on the stalk to dry in situ for harvest later. Seeds are viable once dried, and can be parched or ground. Parching is a bit like popping except it doesn't pop.
thanks for replying i will lokk into sprays but i think planting other crops around to divert the catterpillars sounds good to me ,what do you think about sticky cards here they are bright yellow are the moths drawn to colour thanks for any advice

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think you'd get so many bugs stuck in the sticky cards that the ones you're after wouldn't have a place to stick to, so minimal control.

Your plants will perform better if they're directly in the ground, or in raised beds than containers. Always.

You must be ready to begin controlling caterpillars and moths once the buds begin to form. So, it doesn't matter at what stage they begin, you're concerned with preserving the buds, so that's when you get started doing whatever you're going to do to prevent them from invading your plants.

Make sense?

caligirl

caligirl

thanks for replying yeah i have thought about netting but i dont know at what stage the moths lay there eggs on the plant????,another question if you dont mind i grow here in big plastic barrels and the heat here gets to about 40degrees in the summer do you think i would be better off digging holes in the grond and filling with substrate for the plants to go in,my average this year was about 400g dry and can defo say special queen from royal queen seeds is a very nice plant but as usual always lookin for something better thanks for the help

caligirl

caligirl

plants always do better in the ground and you dont have to water or feed as often. They get bigger and are stronger too. Black containers can be hot for roots in hot weather.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yes I am a big fan of Spain, Barcelona in particular. I love the sun, Macba, and everything else that city has to offer. I will gladly give you some seeds that I have tried/seen that are very good and not getting grown too much over there. If you are doing outdoor the question is how do you want it to look? Like indoor super dense nuggets, if that is the case try any of the bubba crosses from U.S. companies like ograskal, or even give gdp from kens seeds a try....If you want to try some "American" og I would say give cali connect "tahoe" a try, there may be issues with the feminized seeds so maybe stay away from those, also any sour diesel variety from cali connect or reserva privada should be worth giving a shot, but sour will not grow like indoor outside......but its one of my favorites. Another company that does not get a lot of hype but are totally killing it is a company called "Underground Originals" these guys have some amazing flavors and all these seeds are easily available on that super big website for seeds....I am sure you know the one. Good luck over there, many happy harvests to you!

L

Little Ted

Southern Spain here as well.
Never had a pest problem - guess I'm lucky.
OG Kush and Grateful Casey grow brilliant here. All you need!

Top Bottom